PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet door handle placement

Ray Schafer
03-08-2008, 6:13 PM
I built some cabinets that are 6 feet tall and 35.5 inches wide. They have two doors (17.75 inches wide). What is the most standard placement for the handles? The cabinets are starting at 7 inches from the floor.

I am looking for the placement in both directions -- height and distance from the edge.

Matt Ocel
03-08-2008, 6:33 PM
I worked for a contractor and we did kitchen installs for Home Depot. We would ask and have the homeowner sign off on hardware placement after we were told to install at a certian place and when the spouse came home they wanted it in a different location. Each location would have been acceptable. I would say in my area typical install location would be, center of rail and bottom of handle center of style.
P.S. The doors were replaced free of charge.

David DeCristoforo
03-08-2008, 6:37 PM
There are no "rules". The best thing is to use a bit of double sided tape to stick the pulls on "where you think you would like them" and then see if that's really where you want them or if maybe they would look better in another position. DON'T DRILL THE HOLES UNTIL YOU ARE SURE!!! Also, if you have a spouse, make sure the spouse "signs off" on this before you commit. Otherwise, the spouse will most assuredly have a different idea about placement....

YM

Ray Schafer
03-08-2008, 7:18 PM
Matt, I don't have a rail or stile and these are 6 foot cabs from approximately the floor.

Matt Ocel
03-08-2008, 7:24 PM
I would say that depending on the weight and size of the doors you should test drive different locations and see which areas feel and perform best for you.

Lee Schierer
03-09-2008, 4:18 PM
I've asked the same question on forums in the past and the answer is there is no standard. Use double sided tape on the backs of the handles to stick them to the surface and then step back to see how they look. If this cabinet is for a client ask them what they think. If your significant other is involved ask them.

If you find a hole mover let me know........:D

glenn bradley
03-09-2008, 4:26 PM
Matt, I don't have a rail or stile and these are 6 foot cabs from approximately the floor.

So, a solid panel door. Your options are pretty open. I double stick tape hardware on and customize it to the user. Ergo-standard mentioned in a recent article is 35-1/2" from the floor(?). I checked and this is about door knob height.

Ray Schafer
03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks everyone!

(BTW, not solid panel doors ... these are garage cabinets and I did quick and easy plywood doors with no frame.)

Ray

Thomas Knapp
03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Put them where they are comfortable to use and will not interfere with anything else. I'd look to door knobs for an example. Those are typically 38"to 42" off of the floor and set in 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" off the edge of the door. Your pulls can be closer than that to the vertical edge of a cabinet door though. That is because your doors will be opening from the outside and you don't need to worry about skinning your knuckles on a door jamb.