PDA

View Full Version : DEWALT 733 planer help

Dick Heifner
03-08-2008, 4:20 PM
Hi all,
I'm in process of changing the blades on my Dewalt 733 planer. The rollers have been leaving black marks. I have the knifes out and can rotate the blade shaft but the rollers will not rotate. What drives the rollers? The manual is useless on this part. HELP please.
Dick

Matt Ocel
03-08-2008, 4:46 PM
I got the same planer and same problem.

Mike Henderson
03-08-2008, 4:55 PM
The rollers are geared down quite a bit compared to the cutter head. My guess is that you can't turn them because of the gearing. You'd have to turn the cutter head many times and that would cause the rollers to turn a small amount.

At least that's my guess.

Mike

Dick Heifner
03-10-2008, 1:43 PM
Thanks Matt and Mike,
Never was able to rotate the rollers without the blades being in. I think the problem with the rollers was that the knifes were very dull. Changed blades and cleaned rollers and everything is good.
Thanks again,
Dick

Byron Trantham
03-10-2008, 1:55 PM
Thanks Matt and Mike,
Never was able to rotate the rollers without the blades being in. I think the problem with the rollers was that the knifes were very dull. Changed blades and cleaned rollers and everything is good.
Thanks again,
Dick

Dick is right. The blades are probably dull. If the wood cannot move past the blades (leaving black marks aka skid marks) then the rollers are moving in place leaving marks. This can also happen when you take big of a bite.