PDA

View Full Version : Zero Clearance Insert for Deluxe XACTA

Steve Sawyer
03-08-2008, 2:42 PM
I've been unable to find anyone - neither Jet nor third-party vendors - who sell a ZCI for the Jet Deluxe XACTA saws.

Leecraft makes one for the Powermatic PM2000, but it's too large. The Jet throat plates are 15 5/16" x 4 1/4". The Leecraft PM2000 ZCI is the right width but a couple of inches too long - so ends any speculation that the PM2000 and the Deluxe Exacta share this part! :)

I went to my local Woodcraft because I know that they have 1/2" phenolic plates that can be used to make ZCI's, and the one they stock could do the trick provided you cut the ZCI diagonally out of the stock as it's only 15" long. As a result you would likely not get more than one insert out of the phenolic plate.

Have any Deluxe XACTA owners out there found any ZCI's, or are you all making your own out of phenolic or UHMW or cardboard or something?

Karl Brogger
03-08-2008, 2:45 PM
I made a bunch out of melamine for a Powermatic 66. I just traced out the normal insert and ran it through the drum sander to get it to the thickness I wanted, and used a orbital to get the fit I wanted.

Matt Meiser
03-08-2008, 3:39 PM
Kencraft stocks 5/8" phenolic coated baltic birch. 1/4 sheets are $45, but if my mental calculations are right you should be able to get about 7 per 1/4 sheet. I'm not sure if that's too thick? Home depot sells 1/2" MDF which I think would work too.

Dave Falkenstein
03-08-2008, 3:41 PM
Yours is bigger than mine! Apparently, somewhere along the way Jet changed the size of the ZCI for Excata saws. I have an Exacta saw that is several years old, and the ZCI is smaller than the dimension you quoted - mine is 13-3/8 X 3-3/4. Let us know if you find one that fits.

Steve Sawyer
03-08-2008, 4:22 PM
Apparently, somewhere along the way Jet changed the size of the ZCI for Excata saws.

The throat plate for the Deluxe XACTA is larger to accommodate the riving knife.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/2319638516_13607b4319_o.jpg

Steve Sawyer
03-08-2008, 4:31 PM
Kencraft stocks 5/8" phenolic coated baltic birch. 1/4 sheets are $45

The ZCI's I had on my old saw were solid phenolic and were really nice. Phenolic coated ply would be a decent alternative if I have to make them. To my eye the picture makes it look like the throat plates are about 3/8".

Should only need two, three at the most - std. thin kerf and dado (bit of an irritation that a dado throat plate is an extra-cost accessory) but I'm sure I could find something to do with the leftovers!

Hoping some of the current Deluxe XACTA owners who have been down this road can offer some advice.

Steve Sawyer
03-08-2008, 4:33 PM
I made a bunch out of melamine for a Powermatic 66. I just traced out the normal insert and ran it through the drum sander to get it to the thickness I wanted, and used a orbital to get the fit I wanted.

Solid melamine? Where'd you get that? I'll bet that makes really nice inserts.

Matt Meiser
03-08-2008, 6:09 PM
How about UMHW. I have some UHMW inserts from Peachtree USA. Here's a place to order it in 3/8 online: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=12551&step=4&showunits=inches&id=785&top_cat=181

Karl Brogger
03-08-2008, 6:56 PM
Solid melamine? Where'd you get that? I'll bet that makes really nice inserts.

No, half inch particle board with melamine on both sides. If I were to make one out of something solid I'd go with UMHW. That stuff take alot of abuse.

Rick Gifford
03-08-2008, 7:02 PM
Have any Deluxe XACTA owners out there found any ZCI's, or are you all making your own out of phenolic or UHMW or cardboard or something?

If I still end up with the XACTA I'll most likely make my own.

However I had spoke to the Jet customer service line and was told a ZCI would be available in about a month. The saw is so new they haven't caught up with all accessories.

I was told this a few weeks agao.. so might be worth another call.

Eric Haycraft
03-09-2008, 5:25 PM
I've been unable to find anyone - neither Jet nor third-party vendors - who sell a ZCI for the Jet Deluxe XACTA saws.

Leecraft makes one for the Powermatic PM2000, but it's too large. The Jet throat plates are 15 5/16" x 4 1/4". The Leecraft PM2000 ZCI is the right width but a couple of inches too long - so ends any speculation that the PM2000 and the Deluxe Exacta share this part! :)

I went to my local Woodcraft because I know that they have 1/2" phenolic plates that can be used to make ZCI's, and the one they stock could do the trick provided you cut the ZCI diagonally out of the stock as it's only 15" long. As a result you would likely not get more than one insert out of the phenolic plate.

My weekend project was setting up the Jet since it came last Tuesday. I decided to make a ZCI this afternoon. Here is what I learned:

1. The blade won't lower enough to give clearance for an uncut ZCI. I clamped my ZCI above the table and cut it through enough so that I could install it and make the cut. Ugh. Unlike the PM2000, there doesn't appear to be an override to let the blade go any lower. Next time that I do this I will probably make the pre-cut with an 8" dado blade rather than clamping it above the table.

2. For the RK slot, I made the initial cut through with the desired blade without the RK. I then used the original plate and traced the outline for the RK slot and cut it with a jig saw.

That was the only part that was out of the ordinary. I made the ZCI with poplar and used two drywall screws in the right side to adjust for a tight fit along the width and 4 set screws for leveling it off.

Bill Wurzer
03-09-2008, 6:10 PM
You might want to try a piece of solid surface material like Corian for your insert, it's basically an acrylic plastic that comes in 1/2" thickness and should work well. Hot glue the factory insert to the Corian and rout it out. Denatured alchohol will remove the hot melt glue. One of your local countertop or cabinet shops shouild have a small piece they'll sell you (for a modest fee). Hope this helps!

Steve Sawyer
03-09-2008, 6:11 PM
The blade won't lower enough to give clearance for an uncut ZCI. I clamped my ZCI above the table and cut it through enough so that I could install it and make the cut

Yeah, I've been through that before.

Coupla questions - did you put in some brass threaded inserts for the set screws?

Also (and this is almost COMPLETELY off topic, but since you're setting yours up right now...) somewhere I heard that the unit ships without cord or plug - true? If so, is there a recommended gauge and O.D. for the cord? I have a 30A 220v plug right next to where the saw is going, so I just want to have everything on hand to get it installed when it arrives.

Thanks, Eric...

Eric Haycraft
03-09-2008, 6:55 PM
Yeah, I've been through that before.

Coupla questions - did you put in some brass threaded inserts for the set screws?

Also (and this is almost COMPLETELY off topic, but since you're setting yours up right now...) somewhere I heard that the unit ships without cord or plug - true? If so, is there a recommended gauge and O.D. for the cord? I have a 30A 220v plug right next to where the saw is going, so I just want to have everything on hand to get it installed when it arrives.

Thanks, Eric...

the saw came cordless.

regarding the screws.. I went to home depot and of course got ripped off, but I picked up 12 set screws (22 cents for a set screw that they probably paid less than a penny for.. come on). All that they had were metric, but whatever. No brass insert was necessary, they held extremely well in the wood.

glenn bradley
03-09-2008, 7:19 PM
Make your own ZCI's. Set screws thread right into the 1/2" BB ply on mine (not a Jet saw). These things don't last forever. I would be wary of paying $20 for something I can make out of the scrap bin. Especially when it is a wear-part.

Granted they last quite a while but you'll need one for each blade. That would run into 4 or 5 inserts for me not counting dados. It takes only a few minutes longer to make six than it does to make one. Grab some material, your original insert, some double stick tape and have fun. If you have spares ready to receive the first cut on hand, you won't be tempted to milk that one last cut out of the current one ;-)

*** UPDATE *** Knucklehead here. Riving knife, eh? That'll alter the making of them won't it? I guess you could get the slot for the knife as close as possible and cut the blade slot once the insert is installed. For me if you can't raise the blade through the material to make the cut you're only sorta-ZCI anyway so I would just make a decently close slot and call it good. Did that make sense?

Tom Veatch
03-09-2008, 8:09 PM
...Have any Deluxe XACTA owners out there found any ZCI's, or are you all making your own out of phenolic or UHMW or cardboard or something?

I make my own. Can't see spending that much money on something that is so quick and easy to make for yourself.

I've done it two ways. Laminate a couple of pieces of 1/4 tempered hardboard with Formica (or similiar) facings. You can get a lot of inserts out of a sheet of hardboard. I currently have a number of these that I use for dado cuts - each is a different width opening.

A more permanent approach is to use a piece of UHMW for the base and install a replacable hardboard insert in a sliding dovetail. Just make one base and a pile of blank inserts. Then slide in a new insert when the old one is worn out or when you change blade thickness or tilt angle.

Chris Jenkins
03-09-2008, 8:34 PM
I talked not to long ago with JET about these ZCI's and they supposedly shipped just a bit ago. I haven't called back just yet... Part Number is 708382L. It is specific to the Deluxe for the riving knife. Give them a call

Chris

Jon Todd
03-09-2008, 8:41 PM
I believe this guy can ge them ask for Joe

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp

Steve Sawyer
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Riving knife, eh? That'll alter the making of them won't it? I guess you could get the slot for the knife as close as possible and cut the blade slot once the insert is installed. For me if you can't raise the blade through the material to make the cut you're only sorta-ZCI anyway so I would just make a decently close slot and call it good. Did that make sense?

To resurrect a thread and close the loop here, I did make some phenolic ZCI's, and I just removed the riving knife when I raised the blade through them. I then lengthened the kerf toward the back of the ZCI with a jigsasw to provide clearance for the riving knife.

By the way - if you get the Leecraft BK-1 1/2" phenolic sheet, each sheet is large enough to make TWO of these longer-than-normal throat plates. Buying from Amazon with free shipping comes to about $10 per ZCI.

http://www.semiww.org/forum/download/file.php?id=248&t=1

Jerome Hanby
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Online Metals is a good vendor. I've been buying brass from them through Amazon. Never realized they carried plastic too. Thanks for the info!

How about UMHW. I have some UHMW inserts from Peachtree USA. Here's a place to order it in 3/8 online: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=12551&step=4&showunits=inches&id=785&top_cat=181

Mike Sandman
05-20-2008, 10:39 PM
The Jet part # is 709382L and you can get it here for :

https://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=709382L&Page=1

And of course you can make one yourself, as noted by others.

Mike Sandman

Dave Lehnert
05-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Take it for what it is worth. I have a 5 or 6 year old Jet Exacta saw. The insert on the Left tilt is larger than the right tilt. I purchased the plate from Woodcraft in Cincinnati.

Steve Sawyer
05-21-2008, 8:39 AM
And of course you can make one yourself, as noted by others.

At $46.95, yeah - I just made two of 'em from phenolic for about $28 in materials ;)

Jim Watts
05-31-2008, 8:43 PM
Below is an email thread to/from Betterley Industries Inc. (makers of the TRU CUT Blade Insert System).

Hello James,

We are working on TRU-CUT Inserts for this and other saws that utilize a riving knife. The big difference between these and the current models we offer is the riving knife, obviously utilization of the riving knife is a must without sacrificing quality of the insert. Unfortunately I can not give you an honest answer as to the time frame for completion. You are more than welcome to check back occasionally or if you prefer, let me know and I contact you when they are available.

Thanks,

Tom Stoffel

Betterley Industries Inc.

PO Box 49518

Blaine, MN 55449

(763) 755-3425 Phone

(800) 871-7516 Phone

(763) 755-5084 Fax

mailto:toms@betterleytools.com
http://www.betterleytools.com/

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 8:06 PM
To: info@betterleytools.com
Subject: Product availability inquiry

Do you have an estimate for when a TRU CUT Blade Insert System might be available for the new Jet Deluxe XActa saws? The throat plate is 15 5/16”-long by 4 1/4”-wide. And of course, it will need to accommodate the riving knife.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?Part=708675PK

Thank you...