PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10 325 fence

James Hart
03-08-2008, 2:06 PM
I noticed from Jim's recent Rikon 10 325 post that he replaced the stock fence with a Kreg.

I just did the same thing yesterday. Seems many of you are picking up this saw, thought you might appreciate some thoughts on the fence.

The OEM fence is very solid. The drawbacks, IMHO;

- No slots, holes, etc for attaching anything to the fence. Kreg has 2 t-slots in the face and one on top.

- Fence is about 3 inches high, as is the resaw bar. The combination of this, and the point above, make the 12 to 13" resaw capacity a bit hard to capitalize on unless you just make a separate resaw fence.

- While you could completely uninstall the rail and move it to the right side of the blade to support bevel cuts, this is less than ideal. The rail on the Kreg goes all the way across and their fence is easily reversible for placement on the right side of the blade.

-Drift adjustment is way easier on the Kreg.

- One drawback with the Kreg is that the Rikon slot in the table for replacing the blade is in the front of the table. The Kreg fence has to be removed at least at one end so it can be swung out of the way for changing the blade. This is probably why the Rikon rail stops at the slot.

-The microadjust accessory and the cursor are significant advantages for the Kreg.

Jim

Jim Dunn
03-08-2008, 2:17 PM
Jim I made a set of stand off bolts to allow for replacing the blade so I wouldn't have to remove the fence or even take off any bolts.

I also called Kreg and mentioned how the original fence was installed and as I understand it they are going to investigate a set of stand off bolts that would fit the fence and could be used on the Rikon band saw, maybe:o. For now I've not had any problems with the mounting technique I used.

Scott Rollins
03-08-2008, 3:10 PM
Jim:
Great idea! This is why I didn't buy th kreg fence and now I have a solution! Thanks. BTW the stock fence is terrible to adjust this is why I want the kreg.

Curt Harms
03-08-2008, 3:11 PM
I am so far using Rikon's stock fence. The Kreg is a good fence no questions but so far I've been able to get along fine with the stock fence & a resaw fence. I noticed from Jim's recent Rikon 10 325 post that he replaced the stock fence with a Kreg.

I just did the same thing yesterday. Seems many of you are picking up this saw, thought you might appreciate some thoughts on the fence.

The OEM fence is very solid. The drawbacks, IMHO;

- No slots, holes, etc for attaching anything to the fence. Kreg has 2 t-slots in the face and one on top.
That is an advantage for sure

- Fence is about 3 inches high, as is the resaw bar. The combination of this, and the point above, make the 12 to 13" resaw capacity a bit hard to capitalize on unless you just make a separate resaw fence.

I found it pretty easy to make a higher resaw fence. Swap out the factory bolts that secure the factory fence for T track bolts. I just took a straight piece of plywood and let a section of T track into it so it just slips onto the factory fence "stub".[/quote]

- While you could completely uninstall the rail and move it to the right side of the blade to support bevel cuts, this is less than ideal. The rail on the Kreg goes all the way across and their fence is easily reversible for placement on the right side of the blade.

I run my fence on the right side of the blade all the time, same as the table saw. I havent' found this to be a disadvantage so far. It's pretty easy to swap the fence to the left side of the blade if desired.

-Drift adjustment is way easier on the Kreg.

True. I'll probably hate myself for saying this:rolleyes: but I've run Timberwolf and a new Supercut carbide impregnated blade without needing to correct for drift. I have a bandsaw project going on right now. Watch that sucker drift now that I've said this[/quote]

- One drawback with the Kreg is that the Rikon slot in the table for replacing the blade is in the front of the table. The Kreg fence has to be removed at least at one end so it can be swung out of the way for changing the blade. This is probably why the Rikon rail stops at the slot.

-The microadjust accessory and the cursor are significant advantages for the Kreg.

Jim[/quote]

James Hart
03-09-2008, 9:27 AM
I run my fence on the right side of the blade all the time, same as the table saw. I havent' found this to be a disadvantage so far. It's pretty easy to swap the fence to the left side of the blade if desired.

Curt,

I'm curious if you a lefty? My table saw fence is also on the right side and I'm right handed. When resawing, I find myself using mostly my right hand to keep the stock against the fence with the fence mounted left of the blade.

Jim.

Curt Harms
03-09-2008, 9:39 AM
Curt,

I'm curious if you a lefty? My table saw fence is also on the right side and I'm right handed. When resawing, I find myself using mostly my right hand to keep the stock against the fence with the fence mounted left of the blade.

Jim.
Hi Jim

Right handed. I use a feather board in the left miter slot to keep the bottom of the stock to be resawn against the fence and use my left hand to keep the top of the stock against the fence. I use fingers or a push shoe with my right hand to feed. It's easy (2 nuts) to move the fence to the left side of the blade if I need to.

Curt