PDA

View Full Version : Guitar kit?

Brian Knop
03-17-2004, 8:34 AM
I'm thinking about building a guitar. Has anyone else tried this? Maybe starting with a kit.

Brian

Mac McAtee
03-17-2004, 9:43 AM
If you are going to do that, go with the best. Contact Martin Guitar, www.martinguitar.com , and get a Martin kit. You pretty much can buy any Martin in kit form with drawings and instructions. I don't know about today but when I did it the instructions needed some clarification and they were very helpful in doing that. I built a Martin HD, that is the Herringbone Dreadnought for my wife several years ago.

When you go to the web site, click on enter here, then on the site map, then on the 1833 Shop and then on kits. They will work with you on other options if you don't like the standard kits. They also will talk you through things on the phone when you are building the kit. It is an interesting woodworking project.

I have pictures of the completed guitar that I can post here or send to you directly. However, I am at work right now and they are on my home computer. Let me know if you'd like to see them.

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=Mac McAtee]If you are going to do that, go with the best. Contact Martin Guitar, http://www.martinguitar.com (http://www.martinguitar.com/) , and get a Martin kit. You pretty much can buy any Martin in kit form with drawings and instructions. I don't know about today but when I did it the instructions needed some clarification and they were very helpful in doing that. I built a Martin HD, that is the Herringbone Dreadnought for my wife several years ago.

Thanks MAC,
I had no idea Martins were available in Kit form. As a long time fan and now Martin owner. I think I may take a sidetrack in my WW adventures to a wanabee luthier sp. (Minor Gloat I have a D 35 -12 that I love):D

Wes Bischel
03-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Pennsylvania Cable Network did a tour of Martin's facilities which airs every so often. (pcntv.com) It was very educational. The PCN tour series is just a camera man and a person from the company that acts as the guide/host - very simple and barebones - not a slick show at all. They usually start at the beginning of the process and walk through the facility as the host explains the different processes. The combination of old world techniques with CNC equipment to make Martin's guitars was neat to see.
Though PCN airs in PA, you can buy a video if you want.
FWIW
https://web33.web.ptd.net/cgi-bin/pcntv.com/pcn_store.cgi?cart_id=8729608_22782&action=view_pcn_tour&profile=173

Grizzley also has kits due to the fact that their president is into building guitars. I doubt they will be of the same quality as a Martin - though that is only my speculation. I was thinking of getting a ukelele kit from them for my son - but I think he needs to be a little older (he's 2) - or maybe I'll just need to make it a solid body :rolleyes:

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Mark Bachler
03-17-2004, 12:35 PM

Thanks MAC,
I had no idea Martins were available in Kit form. As a long time fan and now Martin owner. I think I may take a sidetrack in my WW adventures to a wanabee luthier sp. (Minor Gloat I have a D 35 -12 that I love):D
[/QUOTE]

Just finished a mandolin that a friend of mine started in 1985. He was killed in a small plane crash in 86. It's been sitting in a case unfinished for 19 years. I'll post pics.

Played mandolin & guitar in a blue grass band for 12 years. Now I have a a 1960 D41 and an Alverez 12 string. Let's jam. 8o)

Mac McAtee
03-17-2004, 12:49 PM
The thing the guitar is leaning against is a Southern style huntboard that is made from Southern Yellow Pine that came out of a house in Savannah, Ga. that I was restoring. The house was built in 1868, so that is some old wood.

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 1:24 PM

Thanks MAC,
Just finished a mandolin that a friend of mine started in 1985. He was killed in a small plane crash in 86. It's been sitting in a case unfinished for 19 years. I'll post pics.

Played mandolin & guitar in a blue grass band for 12 years. Now I have a a 1960 D41 and an Alverez 12 string. Let's jam. 8o)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a winner to me. I also have a Guild F-50 and a pre CBS 1955 Fender Strat.:D

Mac McAtee
03-17-2004, 1:42 PM
The finish on the back of the guitar is messed up just a little. About 6 mos. after I finished it my wife took it to an event and then put it back in her car, station wagon, and went off to lunch with some friends. This is the South and it was in July. Kind of cooked the imprint of the strap and case into the finish on the back.

I have left it like that on purpose, in hopes that every time she sees it, she'll think.

The finish can be repaired quite easily and one day I will, but not yet.

Lars Thomas
03-17-2004, 1:55 PM
Brian, several years ago, I made a solid body from http://www.stewmac.com/. It turned out real well. You might want to check them out at too.

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 2:25 PM
The finish on the back of the guitar is messed up just a little. About 6 mos. after I finished it my wife took it to an event and then put it back in her car, station wagon, and went off to lunch with some friends. This is the South and it was in July. Kind of cooked the imprint of the strap and case into the finish on the back.

I have left it like that on purpose, in hopes that every time she sees it, she'll think.

The finish can be repaired quite easily and one day I will, but not yet.

Mac,
There’s got to be a law against that kind of cruel and in humane treatment somewhere o the books. I’ve got a really good lawyer. You could get the house and a bigger shop?????:p
Fine crafts man ship.;)

Steven Wilson
03-17-2004, 2:50 PM
Besides Martin, which has been covered already, also check out Stewart MacDonald (address above) and Luthiers Mercantile International (http://www.lmii.com) . If you get into guitar building you'll end up shoping at LMI anyhow so you might as well introduce yourself to them. Besides the kits you'll need to make or buy a few specialized tools, clamps, and jigs that you probably don't already have. IIRC Stewart MacDonald has a great video out on building an accoustic guitar kit. Good luck

Sam Chambers
03-17-2004, 8:24 PM
Pennsylvania Cable Network did a tour of Martin's facilities which airs every so often. About 6-7 years ago, I had to send my D-28 back to Martin for a neck-ectomy. (Victim of a snapped peghead that wasn't repaired properly. Had the newer style, adjustable neck installed.) When they got it done, the timing worked out just right and I got to go to Nazareth, PA to pick it up in person. While there, I took the factory tour. It was a great experience. I have a whole bunch of photos of the factory - The only place they won't let you take pictures is near the computerized spray booth, because it can mess with the sensors.

At the time, they were rolling that Eric Clapton model 000 out as fast as they could make them. I discovered why their fancier guitars are so darned expensive - the entire pearl inlay department was 3 people. About 1/3 of the factory was taken up with string winding and packaging equipment. They really do make their own strings, unlike some "manufacturers". There were two ladies who packaged all the strings. I have a picture of them, and think of them whenever I open a new set of Martin SP's.

If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend the tour. Even if you're not a musician, you'll really appreciate the woodworking and craftsmanship. Plus, it's a pretty area of the country.

Keith Weber
03-18-2004, 12:29 AM
While on the topic of guitars, does anyone know if you can build a guitar neck out of quilted or birdseye maple? I want to build a travel guitar and thought it would be a cool thing to use a fancy wood, but I'm not sure if the figure would weaken the wood. The travel guitar would basically be a bodyless guitar with an electric pickup.

Keith

Steven Wilson
03-18-2004, 1:19 AM
While on the topic of guitars, does anyone know if you can build a guitar neck out of quilted or birdseye maple? I want to build a travel guitar and thought it would be a cool thing to use a fancy wood, but I'm not sure if the figure would weaken the wood. The travel guitar would basically be a bodyless guitar with an electric pickup.

Keith

Yes you can.