PDA

View Full Version : Scam alert - A1Books

Mike Henderson
03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I do some carving and ordered a book on carving, "Grinling Gibbons and the Art of Carving" through A1Books back in February. A few weeks later, I received a package from India with a book. The problem is it wasn't the book I ordered. It was some garbage book with the title "Luxury Goods from India".

I sent several e-mail messages to the bookstore and never received an answer. I then sent a message to A1Books (they're a company that provides the search of the individual bookstores - they're like Alibris) asking them to stand behind the individual bookstore. They did reply, but the funny thing was that I always received a message from them at night, my time, just when it was daylight in India.

We've gone back and forth but they refuse to refund my full payment, including the shipping cost to return the book to them.

I don't have any proof but I suspect there's a group of bookstores represented by A1Books that advertises "rare" books - but books that don't cost in the hundreds of dollars - and then they ship a garbage book in the hope that the person receiving the book will give up trying to get their money back. So beware purchasing anything through A1Books.

I'm working through my credit card company to get my money back.

Mike

Bryan Rocker
03-08-2008, 9:32 PM
While you are working with your credit card company, post your issues to resellerratings.com I always check out a company there before I buy from them. You would be surprised at the number of companies trying to bad things. I have run into similar issues with companies purporting to sell big screen tv's well below everybody else.

Bryan Berguson
03-08-2008, 9:48 PM
Another good site to post on is RipoffReport.com. I go there when I see somthing that is "too good to be true".

Was it an expensive book Mike?

I've had very good luck with CC companies when it comes to issues like these. I know people have horror stories but we've had great service from Discover and VISA. Hope it works out good for you.

Bryan

Michael Gibbons
03-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I would stick with Amazon unless there was no alternative. They usually have everything or deal with someone who does. Never had a problem except a wait.

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Before using any online seller it's good to google their name along with the word scam and see what pops up. Like this:

http://www.shopping.com/xMR-A1Books.com~MRD-301955

BTW, your post pops up too.

Pat Germain
03-09-2008, 8:37 PM
Good golly, I saw only one positive review and, dollars to doughnuts, it was posted by someone from A1 Books. It's very generic and doesn't mention what was ordered or how long it took to arrive.

Thanks for the warning!

David G Baker
03-09-2008, 9:48 PM
Good golly, I saw only one positive review and, dollars to doughnuts, it was posted by someone from A1 Books. It's very generic and doesn't mention what was ordered or how long it took to arrive.

Thanks for the warning!
Pat,
My thoughts exactly!

Randal Stevenson
03-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Another site that I found years ago, that at the time was mostly electronic seller ratings, has expanded. Resellerratings.com

Please consider posting comments on sites you webshop with, good and bad. It will help others of us in the future.