PDA

View Full Version : My first router table setup, have question...

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm setting up my new Triton 3 1/4 router as a table extension on my table saw. I would like to build a separate router table, but I dont' have enough room in my 1/2 of the garage. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a $50 gift certificate and a 25% of coupon for Rockler, so I'm thinking about buying the Rockler router table extension. The problem is that it comes with the standard size rockler plate which is only 11 inches wide and the Triton is too wide to fit through the cut out in the table. Unfortunately they don't sell a version with the Large plate.

So my questions...Can I just attach the Triton from underneath and not worry about pulling it through the cut out? I plan on leaving the Triton permanently attached anyway and since the bits can be changed above the table with the Triton, is there any reason I would need to remove it on a regular basis?

Thanks!

Mike Heidrick
03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I have a 5625 router in a lift in my RT and never pull it out. You shoudl be just fine as long as the bits can be changed from the top and the height of the bit easily adjusted from the top.

J. Z. Guest
03-08-2008, 6:17 AM
FWIW - I had the same space problem, and solved it by buying the Bench Dog ProTop Contractor router table. (http://www.benchdog.com/protopcontractor.cfm)

It fits right under my bench when not in use, and comes up in a jiffy when I need it.

Anthony Whitesell
03-08-2008, 7:28 AM
Do you have the 25% Rockler Coupon that was only good Wed-Thurs-Fri?

Greg Hines, MD
03-08-2008, 8:44 AM
I'm setting up my new Triton 3 1/4 router as a table extension on my table saw. I would like to build a separate router table, but I dont' have enough room in my 1/2 of the garage. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a $50 gift certificate and a 25% of coupon for Rockler, so I'm thinking about buying the Rockler router table extension. The problem is that it comes with the standard size rockler plate which is only 11 inches wide and the Triton is too wide to fit through the cut out in the table. Unfortunately they don't sell a version with the Large plate.

So my questions...Can I just attach the Triton from underneath and not worry about pulling it through the cut out? I plan on leaving the Triton permanently attached anyway and since the bits can be changed above the table with the Triton, is there any reason I would need to remove it on a regular basis?

Thanks!

There is no particular reason why you need to be able to remove the router or plate if you can adjust the height and bits from above the table. That said, you need to check the size of the clearance hole, if you intend to use large panel raising bits, which I assume you will with a monster router like you have.

Doc

Dave Falkenstein
03-08-2008, 9:14 AM
The Rockler plate that I am familiar with has a limited number of plastic rings to use with different sizes of bits. I wonder if the largest ring will accomodate the largest bit you will ever use?

In addition, I would not want a router table setup where I cannot pull the router out, even if I did not need to pull it out to change bits. Seems overly restrictive to me.

Why not get something like the Woodpecker table saw table:

http://www.woodpeck.com/ts32table.html

The Woodpecker aluminum plates are great and they have a set of twist lock rings that accomodate many different sizes of bits.

BTW, I'm not familiar with the Triton router, but can't you remove the handles to allow the router to fit through a plate hole?

Peter Quinn
03-08-2008, 9:23 AM
If this were my only big production router I would not want it held captive under a table permanently. They can prove quite useful for above table operations. Perhaps search for a more flexible option.

Stephen Ash
03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I had the same problem when I decided to install a big Freud FT3000VCE in my Rockler router table extension. I bought the larger size plate from Rockler and their template for the necessary cutout size. Expanding the cutout and adding the adjustment screws was easy, and it looks perfect. The only downside is that I now have an unused small router plate, which represents a waste of about $50. Since you'll be buying everything at once, maybe you can work something out with them to buy the table directly with the large plate, and skip the small plate entirely.

Regards,
Steve

glenn bradley
03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
You could route out the hole larger but, as an owner, a word of caution. The TS extension is only about 7/8" thick as opposed to the much thicker 'regular' Rockler tops. They do this to allow the frame to be mounted to your fence rails.

I had to do some serious reinforcing on mine after the weight of the router caused it to sag. I enevtually built a cabinet for the top (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54205&d=1167872143)but it still attaches to the TS top. On the upside it now is great. On the down side I could have just made my own for a lot less. I do still use it all the time and it worked out fine.

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:09 PM
FWIW - I had the same space problem, and solved it by buying the Bench Dog ProTop Contractor router table. (http://www.benchdog.com/protopcontractor.cfm)

It fits right under my bench when not in use, and comes up in a jiffy when I need it.

Thanks Jeremy. I have thought about that, but I really want it as part of the table saw so I have one big work surface and I can use the table saw fence for both.

I have looked at the Cast Iron Bench Dog table extension, but the budget doesn't really allow for something that is over $300. :(

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Do you have the 25% Rockler Coupon that was only good Wed-Thurs-Fri?

Yes, I have the 25% coupon that was only through Friday, but I went ahead and bought the Large plate with the coupon on Friday. They told me I could bring my Triton by on Saturday to see if it fits and if I decided to get the table extension, they would do the exchange and give me the 25% towards the table.

My local Rockler in Atlanta is always very accomodating. :D

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:13 PM
There is no particular reason why you need to be able to remove the router or plate if you can adjust the height and bits from above the table. That said, you need to check the size of the clearance hole, if you intend to use large panel raising bits, which I assume you will with a monster router like you have.

Doc

Thanks, I didn't even think about that. :confused:

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
The Rockler plate that I am familiar with has a limited number of plastic rings to use with different sizes of bits. I wonder if the largest ring will accomodate the largest bit you will ever use?

In addition, I would not want a router table setup where I cannot pull the router out, even if I did not need to pull it out to change bits. Seems overly restrictive to me.

Why not get something like the Woodpecker table saw table:

http://www.woodpeck.com/ts32table.html

The Woodpecker aluminum plates are great and they have a set of twist lock rings that accomodate many different sizes of bits.

BTW, I'm not familiar with the Triton router, but can't you remove the handles to allow the router to fit through a plate hole?

Thanks Dave. I was not familiar with this table and I will give it a good look. The reason I was looking at the Rockler was because I have the gift certificate, but I guess I could always use it for something else. :)

I just looked at the woodpeck and the plate is only 3/4 inch bigger at 11 3/4, so I'm still not sure it will fit. I'll research further to see if they have a larger plate.

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I had the same problem when I decided to install a big Freud FT3000VCE in my Rockler router table extension. I bought the larger size plate from Rockler and their template for the necessary cutout size. Expanding the cutout and adding the adjustment screws was easy, and it looks perfect. The only downside is that I now have an unused small router plate, which represents a waste of about $50. Since you'll be buying everything at once, maybe you can work something out with them to buy the table directly with the large plate, and skip the small plate entirely.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks Stephen. We think alike. I was seriously considering this option. I'm going to ask them if they will let me give them an extra $20 for the large plate so I don't end up with the small $50 plate. :)

Erech Myers
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
You could route out the hole larger but, as an owner, a word of caution. The TS extension is only about 7/8" thick as opposed to the much thicker 'regular' Rockler tops. They do this to allow the frame to be mounted to your fence rails.

I had to do some serious reinforcing on mine after the weight of the router caused it to sag. I enevtually built a cabinet for the top (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54205&d=1167872143)but it still attaches to the TS top. On the upside it now is great. On the down side I could have just made my own for a lot less. I do still use it all the time and it worked out fine.

Thanks Glenn, that is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I didn't realize it is not as think as their regular tables. Since my table saw has a 50" cut, I was planning to add cabinetry anyway, but not until down the road. Maybe I'll have to add the cabinetry sooner rather than later.

glenn bradley
03-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks Glenn, that is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I didn't realize it is not as think as their regular tables. Since my table saw has a 50" cut, I was planning to add cabinetry anyway, but not until down the road. Maybe I'll have to add the cabinetry sooner rather than later.

Glad to help. Here is an article on making or enlarging the plate hole if that comes into play: http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/085/installing-a-router-plate.pdf

Scott Velie
03-08-2008, 1:35 PM
I have the same router in my (bench dog) table. You cannot change the bit height from above the table with the 3-1/4 hp Triton. It works Great as a table router though with access to the router.
You must turn off the switch on the router for bit changes above the table. (safety feature). So a remote switch is fine except for bit changes.
This is a great router and I would buy it again. I am going to get it's smaller brother also. That one you can adjust from above the table.
My only small complaint: the stamped steel wrench. They need a cast, machined wrench.

glenn bradley
03-08-2008, 2:00 PM
I have the same router in my (bench dog) table. You cannot change the bit height from above the table with the 3-1/4 hp Triton. It works Great as a table router though with access to the router.
You must turn off the switch on the router for bit changes above the table. (safety feature). So a remote switch is fine except for bit changes.
This is a great router and I would buy it again. I am going to get it's smaller brother also. That one you can adjust from above the table.
My only small complaint: the stamped steel wrench. They need a cast, machined wrench.

And here's a mystery. The little Triton above the table features are really nice. Why did they leave them behind on the larger router that is better suited to the table? Ahhh, mystery of life . . .

Dave Falkenstein
03-08-2008, 3:48 PM
...I just looked at the woodpeck and the plate is only 3/4 inch bigger at 11 3/4, so I'm still not sure it will fit. I'll research further to see if they have a larger plate.

All of the Woodpecker plates and lifts are the same size.