PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Gum, Walnut, and Glass

Chuck Jones
03-07-2008, 11:40 PM
My wife is heavily in to lampworking and has several beads that didn't make the cut for whatever necklace, bracelet, etc. she was putting together at the time. I've been trying to integrate them into some wood pieces. Here is one we kinda like.

The base is sweet gum and the lid is black walnut. The box is 5" x 3" plus the bead is about 1".

No favorable comments please. It would be like feeding a stray dog. I'd just come back and post some more.:)

David Walser
03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
"No favorable comments..." Okay. I really hate how my eyes hurt from staring in awe at this piece.

Curt Fuller
03-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I feed every danged dog and cat in the neighborhood so I see no reason not to throw you a bone. I think that's a beauty! I really like the bead as a knob. How did you attach it?

robert hainstock
03-08-2008, 8:14 AM
Actualy thats not true. Your piece is very nice, andthe fit and finish are super. :):)
Bob

Brian Poor
03-08-2008, 8:18 AM
Great use of mixed media, keep 'em coming!

Keith Burns
03-08-2008, 8:35 AM
Very nice piece. I like the "knob". Great idea ! Sorry I posted this.:D

Joseph Peacock
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow!!!!:D Awsom wood work!!!!:cool:

Russ Peters
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
OK so since you didn't want any nice comments I will keep from saying how nice it is. As for negative comments... you should warn people to not open things that there wife is going to say "Can you make me something like that?"
Not so much a negative comment but could you post one where the light is a little more on top so the glass ball shows up a little more?

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, I guess this means we can count on seeing some more of your work cause like everyone else so far - I really like this piece! Nice wood combination, form and finish! The use of the glass bead makes this very nice box different - and different is good!

Ron Drew
03-08-2008, 10:25 AM
I love the combination of woods, and the shape is great - a terrific piece. Show us more!

Donna Ashby
03-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I've done a little bit of kiln work with glass but no lampworking. It didn't have enough draw to invest in the torch & other equipment. After looking at your picture tho, I think I might change my mind. I like it very much. You'll just have to keep posting...

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2008, 6:32 PM
Well my wife feeds every stray in the neighborhood so guess you will just have to take it. Great looking piece. Well done.

Jim Underwood
03-08-2008, 9:11 PM
Ok. As requested... No favorable comments:

It's just awful! I don't know how you can stand to look at it, so you better just pack it up and send it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly....:D

Now I just have to find some space on my mantle...

Seriously, it's a fine piece. I'll second the motion for a lighter picture though. I'd like to see more detail. Also a little v-groove where the lid and bowl meet might be a good thing, since it will hide any wood movement in the future. Nice use of a "found" object too. I'd like to see more mixed media stuff. I'd love to see more of your work, so keep posting.

Chuck Jones
03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the comments and particularly for the tips. Both are encouraging and helpful to old dogs trying to learn new tricks... two new tricks in my case; turning and photography. Turning has proved challenging, but at least I love it and can see some progress. Not the same with photography. I'm determined not to get sucked into the photography learning process too deep, but I'll make another attempt at more light on the top when I have time. I think I know what the problem is. I bought a "photography tent" in hopes that would magically make my problems go away. It hasn't. I still need better lighting and positioning.

Some of you may have bought the same photo tent. It came in a really small box and when I opened it there were all sorts of warnings about it being spring loaded. I routinely ignored the warnings and started unfolding that contraption. It immediately sprung into a 42" white canvas wrapped cube, almost knocking me across the room. The room used to be a spare grandchild bedroom. We have now labeled it the photo room because I can't figure out how to refold the tent and it's too big to go through the door.

Curt, the bead is attached with a 1/8" dowel with a tiny "ball" turned at the top. We ran the dowel through the bead and glued it into a 1/8" hole in top of lid, and glued the bead to the dowel just so it wouldn't spin around. We're still experimenting with the attaching part. Most of the beads are made on a 1/8" mandrel, but she uses mandrels from 3/32" to 1/4". Also, she's done a couple for me where the hole does not go through the top and a couple with 1/4" hole.

Thanks again for your encouragement.