PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled (a colorful project) (need advice)

Rob Will
03-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I just helped the neighbor's kid build a giant puzzle cut from 1/2" ply. It has to do with a school project where they are going to place information about a different historical event right on each piece of the puzzle. There is a total of 20 pieces and the whole thing measures 4'x5'.

This was my first experience with water-based dyes (Transfast)(I like it for something like this). Now I have a question:

Minwax sells a product called Water-Based Pre-Stain WOOD CONDITIONER. It is described as being suitable for water-based stains. Does this product also work with DYES such as Transfast?

Can I wait until tomorrow and apply spray lacquer (Deft) directly over a water-based dye?

We are also building a motorized windmill (Grainger 1/2 rpm gearmotor) with 20 multi-colored blades for my daughter who is in the same class. Planning to use the same dye products on that as well - so any advice about applying lacquer over dye is appreciated.

I almost got motion sick swinging all this back and forth in the Moak 36.:o Is this colorful or what ??? :)

Rob

Joe Chritz
03-08-2008, 1:54 AM
Never tried it directly over dyes but if you spray a dewaxed shellac first you can top coat with anything. It is the universal sealcoat.

If you don't have spray equipment I believe the shellac in the spray bomb cans is dewaxed.

Zinseer sealcoat is available in a few borgs. For a project like that though just shellac itself would be more than adequate.

Joe