PDA

View Full Version : LN Bench # 2

gary Zimmel
03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Last December I posted pictures of my new bench. It arrived with the wrong face vice and being 3000 miles from LN I thought I would just have to get used to it.

After talking to the people at LN I was told that they would make me a new bench and get it into production as quick as they could. I found a buyer for the first bench so it saved LN the shipping back. ($425.00)

After lots of delays and not passing inspection it was finally shipped last week. Took just about 3 months while being one of the next in line.

The new bench was picked up today and I guess maybe I am to critical.
The finish on this one is not near as good as the first one. It seems there are even spots that were not oiled. An example is at the end of the tail vice. The finish I will redo. The tail vice itself needed some work to operate smootly. If it were me I would of plugged the bolt at the front of the face vice. As I said maybe I am being to critical. Will use the winding sticks tomorrow to see how flat it is.

Took close to 13 months but I have my bench...:)

Even though I have the capabilities of making a bech I thought this would be the best way to go.

Would I do it again? I don't think so.

Am I happy with the bench? All in all yes.

I wish LN would of taken the Under Promise and Over Deliver approch rather than the Over Promise and Under Deliver on this one.

Sorry about my ranting..

James Mittlefehldt
03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Just curious Gary are you left handed?

Jim Koepke
03-08-2008, 2:22 AM
Just curious Gary are you left handed?

I have never understood this style of face vise. Mine is not any thing great. One thing about it that is appreciated, the vise is easy to remove if I want to have an uninterrupted edge to rip a long board.

What are the advantages to this kind of vice?

jim

Louis Bois
03-08-2008, 8:20 AM
I have never understood this style of face vise.

What are the advantages to this kind of vice?
jim

The biggest advantage of the shoulder (or dog leg) vise is that the screw doesn't interfere with your clamping capacity. You can clamp a board directly behind the screw. It's absolutely fantastic for cutting dovetails...if that's your thing...and you can clamp fairly long boards as they can extend all the way to the floor.

...and Gary, sorry for all the stress with regards to finally getting the bench you wanted. The only reason I can think of for not finishing the inside clamping surface is that the builders at LN probably assume that you're going to glue leather (or cork, or whatever) in this area...which would be tough if the surface were oiled up.

Now that the ordeal is over, ENJOY YOUR BENCH!!!!

Jameel Abraham
03-08-2008, 8:27 AM
Congrats. I hope you enjoy it after such a long dilemma.

Would you mind posting some detail shots of the wagon vise? Underneath, showing the mechanism if you could?

Does the screw poking out the end bother you? I want to design a wagon vise where the screw is housed in the bench, and the nut moves instead of the screw.

Eddie Darby
03-08-2008, 8:38 AM
Have you notified LN about the short-comings?

They would benefit from knowing this, and from my experience, try to make things right.

Mike Steinhilper
03-08-2008, 9:12 AM
I'm sure I would be as critical as you after that kind of investment in money and time. However, outside of missing some oil on the vise, it looks fantastic! I have nothing to base this on, but I'd bet that LN is beginning to push their production capacity.

gary Zimmel
03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Being a lefty and doing all my dove tails by hand I had the bench ordered this way. The bench is 37" high as I find this height most comfortable.

This style of shoulder vice won't rack when doing dove tails so this is why I went with this type. The screw will not get in the way as one is a forearm plus a saw length away from the front of the bench.

All in all I'm happy with the bench, maybe it was just anti climatic after a long wait. With LN not taking any more orders on the benches I would hate to think how long the last guy will have to wait for his.

I am going to speak with LN on Monday and voice some of my concerns.
Mostly about the finish on the bench.

Jim Koepke
03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
This style of shoulder vice won't rack when doing dove tails so this is why I went with this type. The screw will not get in the way as one is a forearm plus a saw length away from the front of the bench.

It must just be me. These vises look as if one has a lot between them and the work.

Of course everyone does things different. My vises do have a tendency to rack. For this there are pieces of scrap around to lay in the other end of the vice.

There are better ways, but for now, just using what is at hand.

jim

Doug Mason
03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
The finish would be the last of my concerns. The bench "WILL" move and you'll need to flatten it anyways; I'd flatten it after about three months in your shop. The bench is a tool, and as long as the joinery holding it togeather is sound, that's 1/2 of the game (the other 1/2 is having a flat top and suitable vises).

I bought the German compay's bench (Dienbacher??) in which case the the joinery on the top was terrible. Tolerances were off by 1/4 inch at some points, and the holes to align the top to the base were way off. That said, it's a learning experience and like me, I'm sure you'll build a becnh eventually.

Michael Gibbons
03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Gary, When did LN start making the benches with the Scandanavian style shoulder vise? I did not know that was an option. Did it cost extra? That's exactly the style bench I've been hoping they'd make and lo and behold.... Did I hear you say LN is no longer taking orders for benches? Is that untill they catch up or permantley?

gary Zimmel
03-09-2008, 9:38 AM
Michael

I believe LN has made 6 or 7 of this type of bench. When I asked LN about getting the bench this way it wasn't a problem. Their website has a posting about not taking orders and after talking to them as they catch up they will take more. The waiting list is long so I would think one would have to wait around 1 1/2 years, but thats just my guess.

Jameel

Here are a couple of more pictures of the shoulder vice.

Jameel Abraham
03-09-2008, 2:10 PM
Thanks Gary. I actually was hoping to see the wagon vise (the tail vise) details. I'm planning a new bench and would like to eliminate the traditional tail vise, and the wagon vise is very attractive to me. I heard that LN is using a clever design for it, and was wondering if your bench incorporates it.

Jay Jolliffe
03-09-2008, 2:57 PM
I was told there was a 12 month waiting list...I think if your spending over $2,000 for a bench it should be perfect. You can order exactly the way you want it. Taller, shorter, they will put the vice any where you want it....It's hard not to stop in there driving by. I'd be broke. .... I stop in about once a month.....

gary Zimmel
03-09-2008, 3:20 PM
Jameel

Sorry about the brain clog..

Here are some pics of the tail vice. Not to sure if this is the standard, but it's the one I wanted.

Michael Gibbons
03-09-2008, 8:06 PM
Gary, if you don't mind, what was the final to-your-door cost?

Dave Chrudimsky
03-10-2008, 8:21 AM
I'm with Jameel, would it be possible to get some pictures of the wagon vise as well? I didn't realize that modern bench makers were using them.

Nice bench, surprised you're posting and not playing! :D

Jameel Abraham
03-12-2008, 8:44 PM
Jameel

Sorry about the brain clog..

Here are some pics of the tail vice. Not to sure if this is the standard, but it's the one I wanted.

Thanks Gary. Nice to get a closer look.

I'm still missing something though. There is a groove in the sliding member of the vise, and a corresponding groove either side of the "pocket". I dont see anything in the grooves though. What is this sliding on? :confused:

Raney Nelson
03-13-2008, 8:27 AM
FWIW, I agree that the end of the tail vise was most likely left unfinished intentionally. I think most people would face it with leather or something else.

The bench looks beautiful to me, though... now if it's not flat, than I might have a bit of a problem...

gary Zimmel
03-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Jameel

Took a look at the wagon vice. The way it was put together was by a groove in the bench and also a groove in the vice block. On the vice block thet have inserted a piece of plastic that serves as the runner. I don't know how it is attached in the groove. I would guess LN did this to easily keep the top of the vice and bench even.

Earlier this week I had a long conversation with LN to voice my concerns with the bench. They acknowleged them and are setting things right. I want to thank Casey at LN for putting up with my hundreds of calls as the bench was getting made.

Jameel Abraham
03-14-2008, 8:15 AM
Is there a way to remove the moving member from the bench should it need work?

The plastic piece must be shorter than the groove.

gary Zimmel
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Jameel

Was talking to the benchmakers at LN this morning and here is how that wagon vice block is put together.

The groove in the bench is .007" smaller than the groove in the vice block. The piece of plastic is friction fitted in the vice block. To remove the vice block one has to open the vice up as much as possible and put smaller runners in the grooves. As the vice is closed the plastic runners will come out of the grooves in the vice block. To put them back in the process is done in reverse.

Jameel Abraham
03-14-2008, 2:01 PM
Jameel

Was talking to the benchmakers at LN this morning and here is how that wagon vice block is put together.

The groove in the bench is .007" smaller than the groove in the vice block. The piece of plastic is friction fitted in the vice block. To remove the vice block one has to open the vice up as much as possible and put smaller runners in the grooves. As the vice is closed the plastic runners will come out of the grooves in the vice block. To put them back in the process is done in reverse.

Thanks Gary. That is a VERY slick way of doing it. Thanks so much for sharing that info.