PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe?

Art Mott
03-07-2008, 8:33 PM
The polarized, 14-gauge power cord on my compound miter saw got chewed by an animal and needs to be replaced. The only replacement cords I have been able to find in 14-gauge are 3 prong. I was told this would be a safe replacement and to simply disregard the green wire for the ground. Is that true?

glenn bradley
03-07-2008, 8:45 PM
That is no problem. Simply leave the ground (green) wire off. You could replace the molded end if you wanted but, if you were going to do that I guess you would just buy a piece of 14/2 and make a two wire cord. *** please disregard my rambling ***

Peter Stahl
03-08-2008, 1:11 AM
The polarized, 14-gauge power cord on my compound miter saw got chewed by an animal and needs to be replaced. The only replacement cords I have been able to find in 14-gauge are 3 prong. I was told this would be a safe replacement and to simply disregard the green wire for the ground. Is that true?

You may be able to find a extension cord that doesn't have a ground. Just cut the end off you don't need.

Anthony Scira
03-08-2008, 2:10 AM
I would replace the cord and ground the green to a steel part of the saw.

James Suzda
03-08-2008, 6:49 AM
I would replace the cord and ground the green to a steel part of the saw.
Just what Anthony said!

David G Baker
03-08-2008, 9:05 AM
Art,
If your miter saw is a recently built saw, chances are that it has a secondary ground built in so more than likely you do not need the third wire. It that is the case, I would use a three wired cord and eliminate the ground leg at the receptacle end. You can probably get the two wire cord from a electrical supply house in the size you need.

Art Mott
03-08-2008, 7:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses. That puts my mind at ease.:)