PDA

View Full Version : EJCA 14" Jointer/Planer ???????

Shawn Honeychurch
03-07-2008, 7:25 PM
Has anyone here ever heard of an EJCA 14" Jointer/Planer?

there is one listed for $500 in my area, but I have never heard of this make/model?

I found out it is a 14" over/under jointer/planer of Swedish origin. 5' bed with a weight of 605 LBS and a 3 hp motor.

Any ideas folks?

Mike Spanbauer
03-07-2008, 9:17 PM
I'm sure you could do a WHOLE lot worse for $500. I'd just go look at it and see if all of the parts are there. If it works presently, I'd go for it if I were you.

mike

Brian Kent
03-07-2008, 9:50 PM
I've been looking online for "EJCA woodworking" and found a Swedish company called Luna that made combination machines. The threads on various sites say it is good quality stuff. They were bought out by EJCA about 20 years ago and have nothing to do with a current company called Luna.

Looks pretty positive to me.

Here is their website:

http://www.ejca.se/

Maybe this description will help:
I standardutrustningen ingår hyvelstål HSS, fällbart rikthyvel anhåll, stålinställningsmall, fram& back,motorskydd med underspänningsutlösning, låsbar huvudbrytare, automatisk broms, nödstopp m.m.
Tekniska data L38-310: Bordlängd 1500mm, hyvelbredd 310mm, planhyvelhöjd max. 235mm,3 hyvelstål, motoreffekt 2,2 kW, vikt 275 kg.
Tekniska data L39-410:Bordlängd 1500mm, hyvelbredd 410mm, planhyvelhöjd max 235mm,
3 hyvelstål, motoreffekt 3,0 Kw, vikt 385 kg

Shawn Honeychurch
03-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the link Brian;

I think that is it and if it is the date for the pdf file reads 2004, so it may be a fairly recent model.

If it is still available I will go and take a look.

Sheesh, 605 lbs, that is gonna be hard to move in my station wagon. :p

Shawn Honeychurch
03-09-2008, 3:03 PM
OK;

I got a bit more info on this, it sounds great but the motor is a 4 HP, 3 phase thing. The current owner says this could be easily changed but is that really possible and would that work in a shop wired only for 120?

Any thoughts?

Jamie Buxton
03-09-2008, 3:56 PM
Changing the motor might be possible depending on its design. But installing a converter to make 3-phase from your single-phase is pretty straightforward, and not as expensive. In any case, with a 4-horse motor you're going to need more than 120 volts and 20 amps.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-09-2008, 7:59 PM
Hmm, so if I get a converter to change 3 phase to 1 phase, would I then want to have 220 in my shop to provide for the requirements of the 4 HP motor?

Jamie Buxton
03-09-2008, 8:40 PM
Hmm, so if I get a converter to change 3 phase to 1 phase, would I then want to have 220 in my shop to provide for the requirements of the 4 HP motor?

Well, you get the converter to change 1 phase to 3 phase, not vice versa. And yes, you can't get a real 4 horsepower from a 120 volt 20 amp circuit, which is the usual one in residential wiring.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
OK;

I think I understand this.

If I get my shop wired for 240 (1 phase) and a converted to go from 1 phase to 3 phase then I should be good to go.

Correct?

Mike Spanbauer
03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Yup. You need 220 for the 2 legs and amperage assistance (you can go as high as you want w/ 110 too but you get into specialty plugs and wiring and it's a bigger hassle than doubling the voltage). Then a phase convertor for your hp application. I'd suggest oversizing a bit, say... 5 or 6hp in the event you add another big machine in the future you have the power to run it.

Sounds like you may have a serious gloat coming! Oh, for the moving, call around and get a truck w/ a lift gate (Penske rents them for local use) and it'll make your life much easier.

g'luck!

mike

Shawn Honeychurch
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
OK;

This is starting to make more sense. I also was just told that I would have 220 at my house due to the stove and dryer, so I don't have to have the lines run from the street as I thought I would. :p

So I can get 220 run from my house panel (assuming space), into the shop (small sub panel), then with a converter to change the 220 1 phase to 220 3 phase at the machine I should be good to go.

This would be my first gloat, Woo Hoo.

I would get a truck with a lift gate, but no idea how to get the machine the 60 or so feet from the drive way, through the gate and into the shop.

Mike Spanbauer
03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
600#'s? Hrm... appliance dolly might work if the path is smooth AND you can get through the gate. Or you could skip the truck and dolly and hire a couple movers :) lol. They have dolly's and other equipment that isn't available for rent, OR you can just ask the truck rental place.

mike

Shawn Honeychurch
03-10-2008, 1:45 PM
Good idea mike, it is a wood chip path, through a fairly narrow gate, so a fence panel may need to be removed.