PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Bandsaw?

Brian Kent
03-07-2008, 6:54 PM
Is it just me, or does a working Oliver 20" Bandsaw for $750 including several blades sound like a pretty good deal - assuming it is not 3 phase?

It is on the Inland Empire, California Craigs List

Mike Cutler
03-07-2008, 7:02 PM
Even with a 3-phase motor it sounds good.

Lake Elsinore huh? Now that brings back some old skiing memories. We used to call Elsinore, lake "Fungy UghMungy".:D,;)
A 1972 Ford Maverick can't pull a 21' trihull, sleekcraft with a 455 olds up that ramp. Getting down it was hysterical:eek:, DAMHIKT

I'd be looking at that Oliver pretty seriously.

Brian Kent
03-07-2008, 7:09 PM
Mike, most of that lake is 3-4' deep. I pretty much try to avoid body contact. It is pretty, though.

Then again, for the lakeshore dwellers it turns 110 degree summer heat into 110 degree muggy smelly heat.

Lake Elsinore is right next to Murrieta, named after Senor Juan Murrieta. Local rumor has it that one of his men took a drink and said,

"This tastes like 'el, Senor!"

Peter Quinn
03-07-2008, 7:26 PM
Brian...the reason Oliver went out of business is because they built machines of great quality that never die, so no one ever needs to replace them. I think its worth $750 even as a basket case, so if it runs even better. That deal would make me get a phase converter (or a new motor).

I know a guy with an old oliver jointer..that is a nice machine,

Mike Cutler
03-07-2008, 7:34 PM
"This tastes like 'el, Senor!"

:D:D:D:D
ROTFLMBO.

Wilbur Pan
03-08-2008, 7:43 AM
Just make sure that it's one of the old original Oliver bandsaws.

Oliver Machinery (http://www.olivermachinery.net/) is still in business, but these days they sell imported machines with an Oliver tag on it. This is not to say that they are bad machines, just so you know what to look for.

Then again, even a good import 20" bandsaw for $750 is not a bad deal, either. ;)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Go for it! Which model is it? I love my old 36" #16.

Martin King
03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Actually I believe that bandsaw is a Davis and Wells 20" and sold
through Oliver. The asking price is very good. You can go on the
Davis and Wells website and check out what they are selling
the saw for.

Martin

Brian Kent
03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Here is a picture.

I am anxiously awaiting a reply to my e-mail to the seller to see if he still has it.