PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Craft table and chairs

Jim Morrow
03-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Hi gang,
This is a table and chairs I made a while back. It is made out of Red Oak (if I had it to do over again, I would have used QS White Oak). It is finished with Poly, being a table that would get hard use I wanted a tough finish. Even though you can only see four there are actually six chairs, I made one first, then the other five. It does have a 2' leaf so the table can sit six pretty well.
Thanks for looking,
Jim

Bruce Page
03-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Beautiful work Jim, great photography as well. Is Q-sawn white oak readily available in your neck of the woods?

Bob Lasley
03-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Looks great Jim. Did you do the upholstery yourself?

I really like the design too.

Bob

Jim Izat
03-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Beautiful work Jim. Have you been making chairs for a while? I've been wanting to try my hand for some time.

Jim Izat

Randy Miller
03-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Really like the work. You said there were two leaves, did you use sliding hardware from somewhere?

Love the chairs, I've got to try my hand at something like that someday.

-Randy

Jim Morrow
03-07-2003, 1:27 PM
Bruce, Getting QS White Oak is not a problem. I used the Red oak because i got a good price. Now wish I had paid a little more for the White Oak.

Bob, I did do the upholstery myself. It really was fairly easy. On the harder projects I sent it to an upholstery shop.

Jim, I have been making chairs of one kind or another for awhile. they're on of my favorite things to make. These chairs alone have mortise and tenon, dowel and sliding dove tail joint. What a great way to work on your techniques.

Randy, I ordered the hardware from Rockler. They are the wooden sliding type.

Thanks alot for the kind words.

Take care,
Jim