PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up: 3 to 6 Months Delay Shipping LN Cocobolo

Hank Knight
03-07-2008, 3:59 PM
I just ordered a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 with cocobolo. The lady who took my phone order told me they were experiencing a 3 to 6 month delay shipping planes with the cocobolo option. :( I hope it's worth the wait.

Hank

gary Zimmel
03-07-2008, 6:25 PM
Hank

If you don't want to wait the 3 to 6 months to use the 4 1/2 order it with the cherry tote and knob and put the coco on backorder. The price will come out the same except for the shipping on the coco tote and knob. i have done this with all my planes. Anyone need any cherry totes or knobs for LN planes..

Pretty bad how the price of the coco option has about doubled over the last while.

They have also stopped taking orders for the workbenches. Its anyone guess how long it will take to get a bench delivered.

Mike Cutler
03-07-2008, 6:32 PM
I have one It's a nice plane, no doubts there, but I'm not that patient. I'd just get it in cherry.
Anything worth having is worth waiting for though.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-07-2008, 7:27 PM
I believe they are on the brink of war where it's harvested.

Michael Gibbons
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm left wondering why they chose to switch from Rosewood to Cocobolo anyways. Was it a strength issue or a supply issue? I think the planes look better with the darker reddish wood anyhow. I have a 4 1/2 with Rosewood and the rest are Cherry cause I couldn't complain about the 15% off the price at Woodcrafts sale.

Hank Knight
03-09-2008, 4:14 PM
Michael,

The lady who took my order (whose name I can't remember) told me that they were having a tough time finding a consistent supplier of cocobolo, hence the delay. My recollection is that LN switched from rosewood to cocobolo because cocobolo was more readily available - go figure!???

Hank