PDA

View Full Version : Almost Done

Wes Bischel
03-17-2004, 1:49 AM
Well, it's almost done. My power hacksaw that is. I received it as a collection of parts (middle picture) stripped it, refinished it, luckily was able to buy a key part that was broken, reassembled it - then had to build a base for it. I wanted it to be a bench top unit rather than sit on a stand as they typically do. The key was mounting the motor under the saw which usually hangs off the back making it too long to put on the bench.

The new base was made with MDF and assorted bits I had around. The grille is from a '47-'48 Studebaker pick-up dash (no, it wasn't salvageable so nothing was ruined) and the on/off switch was a generic unit that I adapted a new cover onto. Oh yeah, a few coats of hammertone paint to finish it off.

My dad helped me with the wiring - on/off and an auto cut-off when it is done cutting all via a relay. An easy circuit for you EE types - a bit challenging for me. :rolleyes:

The motor and electrical gear sit neatly inside the base away from the metal chips generated by the saw. The open back, and the grille in front provide good air circulation for the motor and relay.

Anyhow, there are a few items left to make - like a belt guard and a chip tray etc., and adjustments to the saw, but the saw is up and running. Now on to the new bandsaw base and motor upgrade. :)

Glenn Clabo
03-17-2004, 5:04 AM
Excellent Wes! I love to see these old machines brought back...and in this case...made better.

John Miliunas
03-17-2004, 8:13 AM
Great resto', Wes! Very nice job on the custom base, as well. So what, you gonna' use the rest of the Stude' for the bandsaw upgrade? :D (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Weld done and thanks for your recycling efforts! :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 9:07 AM
Hooh Yah!
That is one fine renovation. Did I mention I love recycling. Love the color too.;)
Mr Safety Says "Get that belt Guard on soon":mad:
Great Job.

Tom Sweeney
03-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Excellant job bringing that baby back to life. When you're done the next project - I have a bunch of old stuff that needs brought back to life so if you need something to do come on over :D

Wes if you get a chance shoot me an email - I tried to email you but it got bounced - toms@realtymarketing.com

Wes Bischel
03-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys, I know it's not a WW machine (and painted MDF isn't quite woodworking unless you make really nice stuff like Todd), but like I told Tom - who ever invented the power hacksaw must have been related to Rube Goldberg. It's cool just watching the thing run - not to mention easier on the arm.

And John, I wish I had the rest of the Stude' - I happened on that part at the Studebaker swap meet over in York, PA.

Oh, and Mr Safety, don't worry I have a guard in the making. :eek:

Wes

Dick Parr
03-19-2004, 6:37 AM
Very Nice Wes!

Boyd Gathwright
03-21-2004, 8:12 PM
Nice work, pretty.

Boyd :cool:

Well, it's almost done. My power hacksaw that is. I received it as a collection of parts (middle picture) stripped it, refinished it, luckily was able to buy a key part that was broken, reassembled it - then had to build a base for it. I wanted it to be a bench top unit rather than sit on a stand as they typically do. The key was mounting the motor under the saw which usually hangs off the back making it too long to put on the bench.

The new base was made with MDF and assorted bits I had around. The grille is from a '47-'48 Studebaker pick-up dash (no, it wasn't salvageable so nothing was ruined) and the on/off switch was a generic unit that I adapted a new cover onto. Oh yeah, a few coats of hammertone paint to finish it off.

My dad helped me with the wiring - on/off and an auto cut-off when it is done cutting all via a relay. An easy circuit for you EE types - a bit challenging for me. :rolleyes:

The motor and electrical gear sit neatly inside the base away from the metal chips generated by the saw. The open back, and the grille in front provide good air circulation for the motor and relay.

Anyhow, there are a few items left to make - like a belt guard and a chip tray etc., and adjustments to the saw, but the saw is up and running. Now on to the new bandsaw base and motor upgrade. :)

Dean Baumgartner
03-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Great rebuild Wes.

Wish I had both the time and the patience to take on a project like that.

It must really give you a great feeling when it's done and you can put it to use.

Dean