PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest recommendations

Andy Pratt
03-07-2008, 2:02 PM
I'm fairly new to turning and I'd like to get a more efficient tool rest. I have a 6" one (jet mini lathe with bed extension) and it's pretty annoying moving it over and over again to work on a spindle. That, and the more I have to move it the harder it is to stick with a certain curve or taper.

How do you guys get around this? The largest available replacement that I can find is 12", but it's got a round bar on the top instead of the tapered (almost knife edge) of the stock 6" rest. It seems that the bar would keep your actual tool support that much farther from the cutting action, which does not seem to be desireablee.

I'd like some sort of rest that goes almost the whole length of the bed, for long spindles, is there anything like this available? If not, anywhere I can get a good quality 12" or 18" rest for the jet mini?

Thanks,
Andy

David Walser
03-07-2008, 2:12 PM
Andy,

Here's a link to what some are calling the "best" tool rest available. I'm linking to it because it has a hardened steel rod at the top of the rest. The purpose of the hardened steel rod is it provides a smooth, nick resistant, surface for your tools to glide along. It's available in different sizes, from 4" to 12" and in different post lengths, but I don't know if it will fit your lathe. It's available from several vendors.

http://www.turnrobust.com/Comfort_Tool_Rests.html

curtis rosche
03-07-2008, 2:17 PM
theres a place i found that has solid tool steel tool rests sso theres no way to break it or chip it they are ony $20-40 if i can find the link ill post it they also have a tool rest that can be used with hollow form or coring tools that has a restrictor bar on top

Gordon Seto
03-07-2008, 3:09 PM
The Comfort Rest from Robust are the best. I got a couple from Bill Grumbine (a distributor), the 4" & 9". They are as slick as the round tool rest, but they lean forward to allow room to hook fingers underneath for control and can get closer to your work. Very well made and the price is affordable. But I don't think they come in 5/8" tool post for the mini lathe. Probably they will made to order for you.

Gordon Seto
03-07-2008, 3:20 PM
theres a place i found that has solid tool steel tool rests sso theres no way to break it or chip it

Curtis,

I read you other posts. If you did something in correctly (such as a major catch) with a powerful lathe, something is going to break. Usually the weakest link. It may be the tool rest, your tool, the chucking that held your blank or your wood. The outcome is dangerous in any of the scenario. IMO, there is no lesser of the evils.

Tim Malyszko
03-07-2008, 3:44 PM
Here is a link to a previous thread on tool rests for the jet mini.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73953&highlight=sorby+tool+rest

Personally, I prefer the sorby modular system.

David Wilhelm
03-07-2008, 8:12 PM
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.html

Gordon Seto
03-07-2008, 9:13 PM
With only 5/8" tool post, I am afraid it is not practical to have the extra long tool rest. The ends would be overhanging too long and flex. You may have to consider having an extra banjo to lessen the unsupported span.

When you are turning such a long spindle. You may have to use your finger to provide support to the spindle to counter the force from your cutting tool. Therefore you should also consider the tool rest shape.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2008, 9:40 PM
Andy,

I have a Jet VS Mini. While in Houston last summer I bought the Sorby modular system. When I bought my PM3520B....I bought a new post 12 IIRC and screwed it in...and the Sorby system now works on my larger lathe.....If I go back to using the Jet.......screw the other post on and go....I haven't found any disadvantage to using a round tool rest...at least for me.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I would if I were you get another banjo if you are going to use a long tool rest. If you got one like the monster tool one or have one made like it you would need two banjo's. I don't see a problem moving the tool rest around. I do it all the time and I have the Nova DVR with a bed extension. It is pretty dangerous to have anything longer than 12" in my humble opinion because if you had a catch it could be disaster.

Paul Douglass
03-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I just bought this one from Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46452&cat=1,330,49238&ap=1

I bought a post and 6" rest. So far I like it. I can add to it and if I get a different lathe I can get a different post. This may be the one Ken is refering to.

Gordon Seto
03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
There is not much difference in bowl turning. I have the round tool rest by Best Wood Tools which works the same principle as other round tool rests.

But in spindle turning, I find the Oneway and Robust tool rest can get closer to the work piece. Because the horizontal tool rest is slant forward, it also allows room for my fingers to hook under with index or middle finger extended behind the spindle for support. With the round bar, I can't safely hook on to the toolrest.
The picture is the Oneway tool rest. The support point is an inch in front of the tool post. with a round tool rest, the support point is at the middle of the round bar. For a 3/4" round bar. The distance is 1-3/8". On spindle with deep features, that distance is crucial.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/my_my_album/OnewayToolrest.jpg
The Oneway is cast iron. The Robust has a small hardened steel rod on top. IMO, it is the best of both world.

jack richington
03-08-2008, 5:32 AM
Hope I'm not too late with this post...I have seen that people have made a homemade wooden rest..I don't believe it is a "forever" rest, but one they use when they have a long spindle..Check out some books on turning for furniture..I can't remember now where I saw them..will look and see later and send info if I can find it

Andy Pratt
03-10-2008, 2:00 AM
Thanks for all of the great replies guys, I'm comparing the options right now and I'll let you guys know what I ultimately decide on. All of the links have been very useful, so thanks again for your help and advice.

Andy