PDA

View Full Version : Soft Curly Platter critque please

Thomas Bennett
03-07-2008, 1:35 PM
I'm a newer member of the group. I've been studying the posts for a month or two and think I'm ready to start submitting some photos of my work. Any advise on the woodwork or photography is welcome.
This curly , soft maple platter is about 15" x 2" high. I sand to 1500 gt...mostly with the grain , still on the lathe,turned off, of course. Finished with Minwax wipe-on poly, two coats so far.. I plan on spraying a third coat of straight Minwax poly with an airbrush and buffing later. I thought it might photograph better this way. Any comments?
I have a dozen or so of different platters completed and photographed. I will pick a few of the contrasting ones and submit the photos over the next couple of days.

David Walser
03-07-2008, 1:48 PM
Thomas,

That's a great platter. The wood's character is fantastic. My only quibble is that I would have preferred a more defined reversal of the profile's curve as it comes from the foot to the rim. You've got the hint of an ogee shape and I think it would have looked better with a bit more definition. But, as I said, that's just a quibble. It's a very fine platter.

Ben Gastfriend
03-07-2008, 4:15 PM
It's a great platter, beautiful wood, and you have to love the Wipe on poly! Great job!

robert hainstock
03-07-2008, 4:50 PM
You've done a great job with the curly. It is a very nice shape, and as the shape always seems to be an issue, I find no disatisfaction with yours. Attaboy!:D Bob

Brian Poor
03-07-2008, 5:29 PM
Good stock, good design, great turning and attention to detail.
Well done!

Dale Gregory
03-07-2008, 5:47 PM
I like it! Nice work! That said, I have a can of poly waiting to be used. I'll have to give it a try.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2008, 6:08 PM
Great looking piece. The wood definitely has some curl to it. Well done.

Grey Hackle
03-07-2008, 7:58 PM
Beautiful piece, with one quibble. In design terms, it is considered best to have the foot about 1/3 the diameter of the piece; more graceful.

Joel Sauder
03-07-2008, 8:16 PM
The wood is good, but the form is great. Looks functional but delicate. Very Nice Job

Keith Burns
03-07-2008, 8:26 PM
A great piece of wood and you did a great job with it. I have to agree with David though, if the foot and been a little smaller diameter and perhaps not quite as defined, it would have been better. That is in my eyes only, and the piece is first rate .

Brian McInturff
03-07-2008, 8:27 PM
About the only thing I can add is:

Where is the rest of the set. Shouldn't there be 8 of them:D

Seriously. Great form and Great wood. Just doesn't get any better!!

Thomas Bennett
03-08-2008, 8:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for looking at this platter. I appreciate the praises and respect the suggestions. Here's a last view showing a $20 note for scale. I'm going to submit another one this morning. TB

Joseph Peacock
03-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow!!!!! that is awsom!!!:D:cool:;)

Joseph Peacock
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
And Wolcom to the Creek Mr.Thomas!:cool::D

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Thomas - Welcome to the Creek! Love the curly! Nice size to this platter and I like youre use of a subtle ogree curve for the profile! While I tend to agree with everyone about the foot - I also know from experience that this size foot makes the platter functional and not tippy. Very nice work and again - Welcome!