PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Planer info

Lee Koepke
03-07-2008, 1:20 PM
Havent seen this model discussed on here, and a local shop has a reconditioned one for a VERY good price.

Has anyone here ran across a Delta TP305R 12 1/2" planer before??

I was looking at the DW734s, but this delta is around 185 ... any opinions?

Pat Germain
03-07-2008, 1:26 PM
The TP305 is the lowest end planer model Delta makes. I looked at it when I was shopping for a planer and quickly decided against it. Even for a lunchbox planer, it's just too much of a lightweight. The very nice folks at Rockler agreed with me and were glad to hear I wasn't interested in that planer.

Whatever the cost difference between the TP305 and the 22-580, it's well worth paying extra for the 22-580.

Unless you can pick up the TP305 dirt cheap at a garage sale, I would recommend you not bother. If cost is a major issue, you might take a look at the Ridgid lunchbox planers available at Home Depot. I've heard good things about those machines.

That's just my take.

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 1:30 PM
Havent seen this model discussed on here, and a local shop has a reconditioned one for a VERY good price.

I was looking at the DW734s, but this delta is around 185 ... any opinions?

That is basically the same as what I have. I have the TP-300. Same power head just different top. It is a snipe monster. But can work around it, and for the price hard to beat. That is a reconditioned one. Amazon sells new ones for $220 with shipping included.

For occasional planing its well worth the price. Don't expect to hog down rough stock all day long though. Mine has a snipe problem both infeed end and outfeed end. I work around it. I have read posts where others have lessened it quite a bit by making adjustments to the tables or made their own tables. I have the dust hood connected to a 2 hp collector and it works very well. For the price its a decent unit. Just don't expect more out of it than its designed for. I have had mine for 5 years and no mechanical problems with it.

Lee Koepke
03-07-2008, 1:34 PM
Yeah, I dunno know. I am kinda getting the point in my life where a little extra isnt a deal breaker. My 'thriftiness' kicks in on occasion and when you see something for half of what you were fixin to outlay, I at least stop and think.

I still feel that the DW 734 would be the one I would be happier with... the infeed / outfeed tables looked a bit bigger and for a starter planer, it may be my better choice.

Thanks for lettin me think outloud.

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 1:44 PM
Yeah, I dunno know. I am kinda getting the point in my life where a little extra isnt a deal breaker. My 'thriftiness' kicks in on occasion and when you see something for half of what you were fixin to outlay, I at least stop and think.

I still feel that the DW 734 would be the one I would be happier with... the infeed / outfeed tables looked a bit bigger and for a starter planer, it may be my better choice.

Thanks for lettin me think outloud.

The head lock on the 734 is another good option. Just a note the 735 has been gotten for about $450 just recently (think HD but can't remember). Would definately be worth the extra $75 over the 734. But in my opinion the 734 is a better deal than the TP305.

Dan Schocke
03-07-2008, 3:27 PM
I've had the TP305 for a few months now, and it has always done what I've asked it to do. I get a small amount of snipe on the infeed side, but I can make that go away by feeding the pieces at an angle or keeping the back edge raised a little as i feed the board in. The finish that I have gotten on hard maple has been outstanding so far. The resawn 1/2" poplar I did also came out well.

It's not as beefy as the Dewalt planers, but for less than $200 (it was about $190 on sale around here around Christmas) I think it's a decent deal.

--Dan

Dan Bussiere
03-07-2008, 4:08 PM

Mine works well enough for me. But every time you want to use it you will need to warn the neighbors to put on ear protection!

Joe Spear
03-07-2008, 4:13 PM
I've seen the TP305 brand new at Lowes for as low as $199.