PDA

View Full Version : I still say, YA GOTTA LOVE THAT DAVID MARKS!

David Cramer
03-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Ya Gotta Love that David Marks!!!!

I will admit I am as opinionated as the next guy or gal, and let's face it, we all have one whether we express it openly or not.

But……………even though most of the posts mentioning the name David Marks are positive, some just really surprise me and get under my skin, just a little. Yes, we all have the right to our own opinion, but one should also be well informed and have some basis for what they say or write. I believe I do.

I took a bowl turning class with David about a year and half ago. It was absolutely one of the best days of my entire life. I looked forward to it like a child looks forward to Christmas morning and opening of presents. David did not disappoint.

David Marks IS a master woodworker and he is HIGHLY skilled in many different areas. If someone doesn't like a project that he built, that's their right. If his style is not their taste, that's their right also. But to make petty complaints about this project or that project or that he doesn't do this right or that right, really have no merit. I for one, am extremely grateful that the show exists and is still being aired to this day, even though they are re-runs.

As far as David goes, he's a class guy all the way around. He is highly skilled in the field of public presentation. To me, he talks with a perfect tone and pace, not at all rushing, yet definitely trying to get all of the info out to the students and in the process, making sure that everyone understands what he's saying. He speaks well and I believe, truly wants every student to learn and understand what he says, and then to apply it. Translation: he's not just there for the money. The man is really compassionate about teaching.

If you goof up, he comes over to where you're working and kindly goes over it with you, without making you feel like an idiot. I can personally attest to that. I wasn't riding the bevel just right, and David, about 3 lathes away could hear it and immediately came over to show me what I was doing wrong. He then went right back to the student that he was working with and all was well. He could've blown me off and let me deal with major tear out, but he was at my lathe before any damage was done. When he heard the sound, he said "David, hold on there".

During the class, he took the time to stop many times to get the class together and show the next step in making the bowl. He took his time and didn't rush anybody. The class was supposed to be from 9-5, but my family was there at about 4:45 pm and we still had more to do. I asked my wife if she and the kids could give me one more hour and come back at 6. When they did, at least 3/4 of the class was still there and David was going from student to student helping out with anything questions they had. Unfortunately, I had to leave :(.

My daughter and son had been watching David for about 2 years, Monday-Friday at 8:00a.m., before going to school. While they ate breakfast, they watched Woodworks. They are now 8 and 12, but were 4 (daughter) and 8 (son) when they started watching him with me. Well when my daughter, 6 at the time (almost 7) found out that dad was going to get to take a class with David Marks, she was just a little excited!!! The morning of the class, she couldn't believe he was actually going to be at our local Woodcraft. When the class was close to over (6 pm but still going strong), my wife, son and daughter were going to check out the last part of the class from the outside the shop, then we were going to go out to eat (it was Friday).

Well as I was packing up my tools, my wife let my daughter go into the class and approach David with her piece of paper saying on it, autograph, David Marks please sign here. David was as kind as any human being could have been. I don't think my daughter actually said one word except maybe a very quiet hi. She was beaming and just staring at him. I had an older fella on a lathe next to me who was watching them both. He said would you look at her cheeks. They were red and getting redder by the second. I was cracking up. David had no idea how much she wanted to meet him and how much she liked him.

Well, that was the end and I said good bye to David, shook his hand and said thanks for the wonderful class and that I had learned a lot. He said you're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and had fun. I turned with my daughter and started to walk towards the doors outside of the classroom, where my wife and son were waiting. We got outside and I turned to shut the double doors behind me and almost closed them on David. He had followed me and my daughter across the entire shop and said "hey, I wanted to meet your family". Talk about nice! I was blown away as was my wife and son. David's wife, Victoria is simply put, an absolutely beautiful lady, so I knew David was one of those "good looking guys". Don't ya just hate those guys:D! He came out and chatted with my wife and son and then had Matthew the owner, take a few pictures of us all together.

Anyways, he is again, nothing but a classy guy, an absolutely great teacher, and a highly skilled woodworker. It is not just my opinion, it's experience. If you have the chance to take a class with David, do it! You won't regret it as I've yet to hear one person ever complain about him after taking one of his classes, it's only those who haven't actually experienced him in person that seem to make the occassional negative comment. My goal is to take a class in his California workshop within the next 5 years or so. If I can't make it happen financially, I'll shoot for the next 5 years. One way or another, I'm getting there!!!

In closing, I know this was long, but hey, it's my nature:). I know what I speak of based off of seeing most of his shows and then actually meeting and taking a class with David. I just get tired of the occasional negative/rude comment about David, and to me, it's just not being fair to the guy. I guess I take it too personally, but that's because I know as a fact that it's not true. He's as cool:cool: as they come.

Thanks for reading, and again, the majority of comments are positive, but the naysayers really don't know what they speak of. I am not related to David and had never met him before that class, I'm just a satisfied customer!

Thanks for reading!

p.s. I just wanted to say kudos to David Marks and show people what my personal experience was and what a great guy he really is. Hats off to David Marks! I had this typed up before the last David Marks post someone recently made, but I'm "computer challenged" and was trying to figure out how to put a picture of David and my daughter up without asking. I should have asked. I'm into power tools, not computers, so sorry for the delay.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/dcramer1316/100_0992.jpg

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I will admit that at first I really didnt care for woodworks. But now I record all the reruns on dvr. And every time I read somethingn about David it has been he is a top notch person (not just woodworker). Your post just reiterates that.

Travis Gauger
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I get to meet him for the first time tonight. He will be at the woodcraft in Appleton, WI this weekend doing some classes. The local WW'ing guild I belong to helpeed arrange all of it and we will be having our own private class tonight at UWGB with him. Can't wait. I hope it is as wonderful as you say.

Chris Padilla
03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
David looks a little older than I expected but then Woodworks is a few years ago plus he isn't all "dolled up" for the camera. I didn't realize he had a tatoo...well, darn it, that changes EVERYTHING! haha ;)

I enjoy the reruns on DIY but after trying to record ALL his shows for the past 2 years, I've come to realize that they aren't repeating all of them. There are about 8-12 shows that simply aren't being repeated for some odd reason.

J. Z. Guest
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
You are obviously a David Marks fan, David. You seem to have your data together.

Do realize that you will not get 100% consensus on things like this. Some folks just won't like his style. One can't please everyone. Don't let it get to you, it is just human nature. All you can do is chime in when someone is nay-saying with your own information. (which will probably be more than the nay-sayer has)

From what yousay, he seems like a good guy to me, though I've never watched his show or met him. (as you have) So I have no basis for nay-saying.

I think most woodworkers are basically good people, especially the really talented ones. They have no reason to be insecure or to talk down to people. They've got the skills, they've proved it, and have become successful because of it.

Howard Acheson
03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
>> I didn't realize he had a tatoo...

That's the reason the show's producers make him wear a long sleeved shirt.

Kyle Kraft
03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
David comes across on his show as a very nice person and you have certainly witnessed that firsthand. His style of furniture does not appeal to me, but I have learned much from his shows. The techniques that he demonstrates can be used in woodworking across the board....no pun intended.

I watch just about all the WW shows on the air, and I have learned many valuable lessons from each one. Even though the projects or the host may not be my favorite, I look beyond that to glean bits of information that help make me more skilled.

Nahm appeals to me because I like flannel shirts and have a beard:D. Some of his projects do not turn me on at all, but each and every one has something that I can apply to my style of furniture.

Folks need to look at the curriculum and not at the professor.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
You won't find a bad comment from me. I find him and his work to be quite an inspiration. I record every episode, even if it's the same one over.

Michael Gibbons
03-07-2008, 12:20 PM

That's the reason the show's producers make him wear a long sleeved shirt. They also made him get a haircut. It was down past his collar. I'm serious.

Scott Coffelt
03-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I just recently got digital, so i now get the show. I DVR it and watch them all at once, I try to get my son to watch he does somewhat till he says ..... another one. I think he does a fine job and really enjoy it. I wouldn't expect him to be any less than he was, because I think most woodworkers are that way. Heck, I've never met Sam Maloof, but seesm you hear the same about him.

Ray Schafer
03-07-2008, 1:10 PM
I am glad to hear that David is as nice as he seems on his show. When I watch his shows, I am amazed, and I one day aspire to be able to produce something close to the things that he does.

It is great to see a post focusing on something so positive.

Ray

Mark Hulette
03-07-2008, 1:19 PM

That's the reason the show's producers make him wear a long sleeved shirt.

That's the first thing I thought, too, Howard! I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he would wear long sleeves around the WWing machinery especially the lathe! It's all coming clear to me now! ;)

I like David and his presentation- don't always care for the style of his stuff but you can always learn something and get better at a skill just by watching a true craftsman enjoy their work.

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2008, 1:30 PM
They also made him get a haircut. It was down past his collar. I'm serious.(snort) I've long suspected that the producers of that show were seriously unclear on who their "target demographic" was: they seemed to think the show was supposed to appeal to people who want to buy David's pieces rather than people who want to build them.

Of course, that seemed to be true of a lot of the shows on that network.

Pat Germain
03-07-2008, 1:52 PM
I've pontificated previously about my experience in a David Marks class. In brief, I would also recommend signing up and ponying up for any opportunity to learn from him. From the Wood Works show, you might get the impression he's uptight or obsessive-compulsive. As others have stated, that's not David Marks at all. David is a down to earth, first class guy all around. I just wish he was still making new Wood Works shows.

Also, for anyone who missed my other post, Season 7 of Wood Works is available for download on Amazon.com. David also has two DVD's available on his Web Site: www.djmarks.com (http://www.djmarks.com). One is about patina and the other is about inlay. Woodcraft also carries David Marks DVD's. By Buying his DVD's or other stuff, you are helping a fellow woodworker. Athough pretty well known to watchers of DIY, David is not a "rich TV star" by any means.

Greg Caputo
03-07-2008, 2:02 PM
What a marvelous story. Thank you for sharing it. Your kids, and you, will have a memory for a lifetime. Thanks.

Greg

Peter Quinn
03-07-2008, 3:29 PM
I think I'm at about 50/50 relative to liking the overall design of the pieces he makes on the show. Many of them are just not my taste. But I am 100% enthusiastic about every episode (and I have seen them all at least twice). Having seen the work in his portfolio on the DJ Marks web site I'd guess the stuff on the show is actually dumbed down for the audience! He's clearly an accomplished artist in the field.

After watching the entire series and using so many techniques daily that I learned from his show I desperately wish they would release the whole thing on DVD. His coverage of design theory and practice, the use of templates and ability to accomplish joinery and shaping with a variety of methods sets Woodworks apart from any series I've seen. Its a fairly complete intermediate level education in wood working. That one show opened my eyes to a world of possibilities and periodically reviewing it never ceases to renew my motivation and invigorate my personal creativity.

Next time you see him can you encourage him to teach a class in the North Eastern US area?

Peter Pezaris
03-07-2008, 4:15 PM
David also has two DVD's available on his Web Site: www.djmarks.com (http://www.djmarks.com). One is about patina and the other is about inlay.

Although one is about patina (which doens't interest me, but may interest some), the other is titled "Jigs & Fixtures for Curvilinear Woodworking"
and is about building a glass-topped table -- of all of David's beautiful work, this table is perhaps my favorite.

http://djmarks.com/portfolio/cooperedglasstable.jpg

Jason Christenson
03-07-2008, 4:42 PM
I just got the DIY network about a week ago and am looking forward to seeing all of the woodworks episodes that I can. If you like David you should check out Marc Spagnuola's video pod cast, The Wood Whisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/).

Jason

Denny Rice
03-07-2008, 8:59 PM
I've often thought David Marks is probably the most "skilled woodworker" on TV/CABLE today. Don't get me wrong, I like Norm's show as much as anyone, but the projects created by Norm are so different to the ones created by David Marks. I heard Norm say in interviews most projects in the NYW take one day maybe two to finish, that said some of the complex projects taken on by David Marks, it takes more than a day to resaw, sand, laminate the lumber and get it ready to cut to finished size. They are two very different woodworkers.Different is good.

Peter Quinn
03-07-2008, 9:41 PM
Peter nice picture! See that was what I was talking about in above post. In the show he makes a hall table with coopered legs...really cool techique, the finished product was a bit shy of complete in my mind. This piece is stunning but it would take 4 episodes to work through this piece and DIY doesn't do that. They are generally set up for people with a 9 minute maximum attention span. Thanks for posting that picture. Beautiful.

Jim Dunn
03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Love his shows and would like to see him in person.

My question is how do you get such a beautiful daughter interested in woodworking. You are one lucky man indeed.

Matt P
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Nice story about David Marks.. He sounds like a class guy. That's what really matters in life.
Interesting to see his tattoo - now I know why he always wears long-sleeve shirts on Woodworks.. haha..

D-Alan Grogg
03-08-2008, 12:59 PM
That's a great story. It matches everything that my wife and I experienced when we met David about 3-4 years ago. Thanks for sharing.

Rob Amadon
03-08-2008, 3:22 PM
Translation: he's not just there for the money. The man is really compassionate about teaching.

Did he happen to mention why a man who is passionate about teaching would lie to his viewers for years about what he uses to finish his projects?

To the poster from Appleton Wi. : Maybe tonight you could ask him that question.

Rob Amadon
03-08-2008, 4:18 PM
Gary,
I am the one who made the post you quoted from the other forum. What I am talking about is calling Seal-a-Cell and Arm-R-Seal, tung oil. When they are in fact wiping varnish and oil/varnish mix. I have personally had to help out fans of the show who were trying to duplicate his finishes by using 100% pure tung oil and failing miserably, by telling them what it is he actually uses. It is a very easy finish to use if you know what it is. If you try to use tung oil the way he finishes his work you are going to be in for a long and frustrating process that will end with a less than desirable finish.

Rob

Jim Solomon
03-08-2008, 4:46 PM
David I tend to agree with you on this subject:
If someone doesn't like a project that he built, that's their right. If his style is not their taste, that's their right also. But to make petty complaints about this project or that project or that he doesn't do this right or that right, really have no merit..
What I get from these programs/people; David et al, is perhaps not a project I would like to build, or even enjoy the style. I get a sense and direction of "new, maybe better" ways to accomplish a woodworking task. Even though he and his brethern do not necessarily give out tips & tricks, I can see instances in a project that would work equally well, or much better in one I am doing/contemplating. Those, I feel that turn a blind eye to this are missing out on the big picture. I am considered a "Jack of all trades" by my friends/neighbors, as my phone attests to, but at 57 I am constantly on the lookout for new and better ways to accomplish something. One thing I have always enjoyed in life is learning. To me it is immensely enjoyable to see the proverbial lightbulb come on :D While I do not always, and sometimes never enjoy the project he and his cohorts construct, I always have an eye open to how it is accomplished so I can hopefully put it to use constructing my projects.
Jim

Pat Germain
03-08-2008, 7:57 PM
I'm trying hard, but I just can't follow what the big deal is here.

First, doing a show for DIY isn't like being in the cast of "Friends". David Marks was paid a nominal fee for the Wood Works show and to do so he signed a contract. The contract stipulated he did what the producers wanted. Doing what the producers want isn't "selling out". It's doing your job and not getting sued. Saying he did anything "for the money" sounds kinda silly considering how little Scripps Publishing pays. (Scripps owns Food Network, HGTV and DIY.) FYI, although David Marks certainly got his name out there through the show, he doesn't own or control any part of Wood Works. He makes nothing from the reruns or anything else affiliated with it.

Second, I really don't see any controversy over the finishes David used for the show. On Wood Works, he used a General Finishes product which is no longer manufactured. Since they weren't a sponsor of the show, he couldn't name it. This is no different than Norm taping over the brand names on his tools. That's television. Whatever the formula, it did contain tung oil. Thus, if on one episode he just called it, "tung oil" so what? In other episodes he does say it was a combination of tung oil and other things. I'm pretty sure the details are described on Davids' web site.

As everyone who has met David Marks will confirm, he's a great woodworker and a great guy who by no means deserves to be accused of selling out. To say you don't like his designs is fine. To call him names and insult his credibility simply isn't justified and I for one would rather not see such comments on SMC; even if they were originally posted elsewhere.

scott kinninger
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Are you talking about a Woodworks "repeat" that is going to air tonite?:confused:
Gary

David is at the Appleton Woodcraft location today and tomorrow.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-08-2008, 10:29 PM
who? .....

Pat Germain
03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I was referring to that statement which you posted from another forum, Gary. I'm not going to war and I'm not angry about it. I just feel compelled to call that out and say I don't think it's right.

I really like SMC. I especially like that the overall tone of the forum is positive, helpful and sometimes downright funny. I recently recommended a woodworking friend to SMC and we are both contributors because we want to support the forum. I hope we can avoid writing such things here.

This is a great thread where folks are sharing their admiration and respect for a fellow woodworker. That's the kind of thread I like to see.

That's all.

Matt Meiser
03-09-2008, 9:29 AM
He has a FAQ on his finish of choice here (http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/What_is_the_mix_ratio_for_the_Linseed_Oil_Tung_Oil _and_Urethane_46687.asp).

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2008, 9:56 AM
He has a FAQ on his finish of choice here (http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/What_is_the_mix_ratio_for_the_Linseed_Oil_Tung_Oil _and_Urethane_46687.asp).Yup, that FAQ made life a lot easier when I found it.

But the show's close-ups of a baby-food jar with a hand-lettered masking tape "Tung Oil" label were just plain silly.

David Cramer
03-11-2008, 7:06 AM
Just a follow up thank you to those who posted positive remarks about David Marks. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the photo. My daughter still cherishes it along with her David Marks autograph.

Thanks Jim Dunn, only a grandpa:) would make such a kind :)remark. I am actually more happy that she's in 3rd grade and is getting straight A's on her report cards because it's all about education these days and it starts when they are young. But again, thank you for the kind comment.

Also,thank you Alan, Matt, Pat, Bill, Scott, Kyle, Greg, Jim S. and all the many others who posted positively.

I kindly and without arguement reiterate my original statement. David Marks is really passionate about teaching. I experienced it first hand for almost one full day.

Also, the man in the background on the far left is the owner, Matthew Scher. He is a fine woodworker in his own right and has been featured in the readers gallery in Finewoodworking Magazine twice (once for sure, but I believe twice). The mind started fading back when I hit 30:eek:! In addition, Matthew is a great guy and has really turned our Woodcraft around since taking over a few years ago.

Thanks again!

David

p.s. If I recall correctly, the tatoo is a golden pheasant. Someone asked David what it was during the lunch break. And yes, he did have some long hair in the days before the show started.