PDA

View Full Version : How to use a router sled

Anthony Whitesell
03-07-2008, 9:45 AM
My router table is getting the finishing touches put on the top (90% of the work takes 10% of the time, the last 10% takes 90% of the time). I have assemebled some fences and other required items to get to work. The work load is really backing up waiting for the table to be useable. While looking at the workload I noticed that several of the cuts to be made are on the ends of narrow stock.

I have seen several router sleds that are available from various places (Rockler and Eagle America, for example). I am debating on whether I need one and also how to use it. I know they are designed to assist with the end routing of rrow stock. Is it my imagination or are there bits that you can not use the sled with?

I see how to use it with a rail & stile set, just raise the bit up and pass the sled under it.

I was a bit stumped as to how to use it for chamfer bits, I was trying to use the top of the bit to make the cut; but I should just raise the bit up and use the bottom half of the bit. A little difficult to set the fence, but doable.

So, now I am looking at the lock miter bit. The setup for this bit requires the bit be set to a specific height and the fence set back at a specific distance. I can't raise the bit up to pass the sled underneath. Can a sled be used with the lock miter bit? If so, how?

Also, regarding the lock miter bit and narrow stock. Is there a sled that rides along the fence to support the piece for the second cut?

Art Mann
03-07-2008, 9:54 AM
It sounds like your problem is that you don't want to cut into the sled with the router bit. I don't use manufactured sleds but make my own. They are designed to be cut into. The edge of the sled acts as a backer for the workpiece to prevent splintering.

Eric Haycraft
03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Take a look at the infinity sled. It has a guide that rides along the fence above the workpiece. Built like a tank. If you don't want to buy, you can use it as inspiration for what you build.
You can also make a sled that rides in the t slot, but that makes aligning the fence a PITA.

Kyle Kraft
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
The infinity site has a nifty video showing their sled in action. That item is on my gotta gotta list.

......no I don't work for them or any of their affiliates :-)

Greg Hines, MD
03-07-2008, 1:12 PM
I built a sled off of www.thewoodworkersedge.com (http://www.thewoodworkersedge.com), and http://www.woodworkersedge.com/TenonJig.htm. (http://www.woodworkersedge.com/TenonJig.htm)

It is relatively simple, and yet works well for cutting tenons, routing endgrain, or cutting half laps. The only place that I modified his design is that I ran the edge of the base piece (mine is an old piece of sink cutout, 3/4" particleboard faced with laminate) right against the bit, to provide better backing than Glens design would provide.

Doc

Robert Payne
03-07-2008, 7:33 PM
I have a coping sled from MLCS and I usually clamp a piece of 3/4" hardwood stock onto the infeed side of my RT fence and then extend the end of the stock by the correct distance so the bit doesn't cut into the base of the sled. Obviously you need to compensate for the thickness of the sled by extending the bit; I also add a backer scrap behind my piece being cut to avoid tearout. YMMV.

glenn bradley
03-07-2008, 9:57 PM
My router table is getting the finishing touches put on the top (90% of the work takes 10% of the time, the last 10% takes 90% of the time). I have assemebled some fences and other required items to get to work. The work load is really backing up waiting for the table to be useable. While looking at the workload I noticed that several of the cuts to be made are on the ends of narrow stock.

I have seen several router sleds that are available from various places (Rockler and Eagle America, for example). I am debating on whether I need one and also how to use it. I know they are designed to assist with the end routing of rrow stock. Is it my imagination or are there bits that you can not use the sled with?

I see how to use it with a rail & stile set, just raise the bit up and pass the sled under it.

I was a bit stumped as to how to use it for chamfer bits, I was trying to use the top of the bit to make the cut; but I should just raise the bit up and use the bottom half of the bit. A little difficult to set the fence, but doable.

So, now I am looking at the lock miter bit. The setup for this bit requires the bit be set to a specific height and the fence set back at a specific distance. I can't raise the bit up to pass the sled underneath. Can a sled be used with the lock miter bit? If so, how?

Also, regarding the lock miter bit and narrow stock. Is there a sled that rides along the fence to support the piece for the second cut?

Here's mine if it helps: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40640

The bits are not so much the limitation as the router's ability to travel is. Some bits have short shafts but these are usually your bargain-bits. With the sled (at least mine) you add 1/2" to the height required of the bit/router. The thickest material I cope is 3/4" but even my cheap bits reach fine.