PDA

View Full Version : Timber smoothing/Hand Planer question

Nick Clayton
03-07-2008, 8:51 AM
I am planning to build a pergola this summer. The drawings I have rendered (yes, I am probably the one person left that does not know how to use sketch-up) have lead me to use 6x6 for the posts. A lumber yard that I use keeps 6x6's, but they are rough sawn and the management prefers the look of surfaced better. So my question would be, do timber framers use handheld planers to surface their materials? Does anyone have any experience doing this and feel like enlightening me?

Finally, if the planer is the way to surface the timbers, what handheld should I get? I was super impressed w/ my Bosch jigsaw and am leaning toward their planer based on nothing but that. I know Festool makes one, but I cannot bring myself to by one. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Nick

Mike Cutler
03-07-2008, 9:22 AM
Nick

Why not join and plane them like regular stock? (This could be a machine size limitation I realize)

I own that Dewalt, and it works correctly, but I don't think you'll be able to truly joint a face flat and square to the sides. But it will smooth the face.
Do the work outside if you can. This planer can really throw some shavings.

Nick Clayton
03-07-2008, 9:47 AM
Hey Mike,

Milling them the way I do "normal" rough lumber is an equipment issue. I only have a little lunch-box and do not think it will be capable of feeding a 6"x6"x12';)

Ben Grunow
03-09-2008, 8:40 PM
The lunchbox is the way to go, just have sharp blades and take light cuts, maybe take the worst off with the power plane.

Consider ordering some smooth posts as time is on your side or find someone local with a big planer. You could also wrap a PT 4x4 in smooth 1x boards with mitered joints if paint is in the plans.

Bob Hallowell
03-09-2008, 8:46 PM
Pick up an old stanley #5 tune it up. it will do a great job.

Bob