PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly in the basement

Dave Verstraete
03-07-2008, 7:58 AM
WOW, They're a might heavy! Two sons, a friend and I muscled the Grizzly to the basement. I always hesitated on buying a 15" planer but finally "pulled the trigger". Spent the evening cleaning off the packing grease and putting the wings on it.

Grant Davis
03-07-2008, 8:01 AM
That is a nice looking piece of machinery. Hope your back is still in one piece after hauling that beast down stairs.

Curt Harms
03-07-2008, 8:12 AM
:DSweet! Congratulations. 400 lbs. more or less was plenty for me:o. Have You used it yet? I've never heard or used a machine with a helical cutterhead. There's certainly a lot of buzz about 'em.

Dave Verstraete
03-07-2008, 8:22 AM
After the move, we hoisted a few and all that I allowed myself was to clean it up. I didn't put the plug on the end of the cord for that reason.

Stephen Edwards
03-07-2008, 8:34 AM
My neighbor has that planer and loves it. I'm sure you will, too.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-07-2008, 8:34 AM
Hi Dave,

I have a basement shop too. And getting machinery down there (and the old ones up and out) is my biggest deterrence to upgrading. However, I must admit, my existing machines do the job as a hobbyist. None the less, that's one fine looking planer.

Enjoy!

-Jeff :)

Rod Upfold
03-07-2008, 8:48 AM
Very nice...lucky you had some people to help you move into the basement. You won't have to take it out because its coloured to match your floor tiling.

Rod

Dave Verstraete
03-07-2008, 8:57 AM
Rod: I had my interior designer make sure that the colors didn't clash! Just kidding!

Jeffrey: I figure that I'll get them down the basement and my heirs will get them back up those stairs.

J. Z. Guest
03-07-2008, 9:07 AM
Congratulations Dave. It looks nice & solid! It has rollers on the bottom, right? If you have problems with snipe, you can remove the rollers and it will be totally gone. If it is an issue, give me a shout. I have a book that describes how it is done.

Don Bullock
03-07-2008, 9:42 AM
Congratulations on your new planer. Let us know how you like it after you've used it for a while.

Dave Verstraete
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Jeremy: Looking at the rollers. Can I just lower them that far?

Don: I have 50 bf of cherry once I'm comfortable with it. I'll keep you informed.
Now.....what boards do I want to learn on?? Where is that hard maple....maybe not!

Lance Norris
03-07-2008, 1:55 PM
Dave... I have the 1021x. Similar size and weight. In my basement as well. It took 4 of us and thankfully, I have a basement walkout with stone steps. You are going to like the spiral head. They are quiet. My dc makes much more noise than the planer does.