PDA

View Full Version : Old Uni value?

Kent E. Matthew
03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
My boss has a very old Uni. It has a 1 HP motor. The switch is about to go out. I would want to replace it with one of the newer safer switches. The fence is original and just needs to be junked.

He said that he is considering selling it to me. What would be a price you would not go over for such a saw?

David DeCristoforo
03-07-2008, 12:04 AM
With that much (and who knows what else) wrong with it and with only a 1 hp motor, I would feel ripped off at more than a couple hundred.

YM

Jeff Duncan
03-07-2008, 9:44 AM
If it's the original 1 hp motor, it's a good motor and not comparable to any of the 1 hp motors you'll find today. Trouble is, if it needs work you have to find a motor shop familiar with them. I brought mine to a motor shop and they said it was gone, found out a couple years later that they can be repaired:( If the 1 hp is working fine leave it alone, it's more than enough for most things. Mine has a 2 hp Leeson on it now and I've never slowed it down, the need for bigger 3-5 hp motors IMHO is really unnecessary for most woodworkers.
Anyway in decent condition with some repairs you mentioned needed $300+/- would be ballpark. In excellent condition an older model can go up around the $700-$800 area. It really depends on condition and area you live in. Near me they come up all the time so they can go pretty cheap. If your in an area where they're more rare on the market you may have to shell out a little more cash. If you can pick it up for 2 bills I'd say you did alright.
good luck,
JeffD