PDA

View Full Version : Well that didn't work out so well

Ben Cadotte
03-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I just got an email that my returned mortiser was refunded.

Minus the shipping charge that 2 different customer service people said I would not be charged!! :mad:

I even ordered the new one before the first was even back to them.

Now I understand they are not going to give money away. But I was told twice that I would not be charged. And I made it clear to both of them I would rather keep it if I had to pay for return shipping. Of course it was off shore customer service (guessing India). So I returned it and ordered a more expensive mortiser. Only mad because was told one thing and another happened. Should have known better.

New one arrives Monday. Not going to be as happy as a moment as it could have been. :rolleyes: Not sure its gloat worthy now.

Lesson learned I guess.

Anthony Anderson
03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Who did you order from?

Dave MacArthur
03-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok... so we read this complaint, we empathize with you against the evil customer service of Company X, and then you just sign off and don't tell us who the company is...

There should be a name for this kind of teaser forum bait and switch spoofing of your buds! "GripeTeaser" or something...
Comeon! ;)

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Who did you order from?

Amazon.

I just got a message back from their email customer service. Basically it says we have confirmed you recieved a refund on your order. If this does not answer your question please reply to the link below.

Basically they sent me back a canned response. Didn't even address my question about the shipping being charged and two CS people said it would not. I actually have the call times because they send out an email survey on how their service was. Although I can't prove what was said, I can at least show I called with question on that particular order.

And before someone says it. There is not a local place that stocks what I ordered. There is a woodworking store. But they don't stock mortisers, would be an order from their main HQ (basically mail order at regular list price).

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Ok... so we read this complaint, we empathize with you against the evil customer service of Company X, and then you just sign off and don't tell us who the company is...

There should be a name for this kind of teaser forum bait and switch spoofing of your buds! "GripeTeaser" or something...
Comeon! ;)

Actually I was not going to say who it was as I had never had a problem with them before. And I did read their return policy which does state if the item is returned and its not due to their fault. Purchaser has to pay for return shipping. But since I was exchanging not just returning I thought maybe I could get out of the return shipping. And basically thats what I was told on 2 different days by 2 different people. Like I said I would have kept the first one if I had known I would have to pay the return fee. Although I didn't mention them by name, I made a post on here how good the service was. Suprised me they would take it back with no return shipping. Now of course I know better!

I was not upset until I got the canned email back. Didnt even address my question. They just keyed on return, and sent a canned reply to that. I guess that selling things slightly lower than others means they have to skimp in other places.

Should have ordered it local. For the extra 25% or so paid, at least I could argue with a real person in front of me until I get kicked out of the store. :rolleyes: Actually I am not an argumentative person. I will just to my corner and pout. :(:rolleyes:

Wayne Cannon
03-07-2008, 2:11 AM
Be patient. I've found Amazon to be pretty good about personal answers to at least a half-dozen queries, complaints, etc. I get a canned responses nearly immediately. but the personal responses sometimes take several weeks.

I've been very happy with Amazon's free shipping (8" jointer, table saw, 18" band saw, ...). Fortunately, the only returns I've had to make have been books, for which I did have to pay return shipping. The biggest problem I've had has been having freight lines show up in a truck without a lift gate, despite my staying in touch with the shippers all along to assure that the delivery truck was lift-gate equipped. Another problem is that many orders are filled by third-party suppliers (semi-clearly specified) with different policies from Amazon's.

Anthony Anderson
03-07-2008, 2:36 AM
I have never had a problem with Amazon. They are always the first place I look when I need something. Try another email, I would say they will do something to make you happy. But if you did return something, just because you changed your mind, they should not have to pay to return the item, that would be on you. I bought a watch from Amazon, then decided that I didn't like it. I paid the shipping to return it. Not Amazon's fault that I didn't like the watch. But that was the chance I took. Actually shipping through Amazon using UPS was very reasonable ~$4. But if you are not happy, they will want to keep you as a customer, contact them via the "help" link. Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Glenn Clabo
03-07-2008, 7:04 AM
Returns/refunds are about as easy as you can get with Amazon. However, they have a policy that unless there is something wrong with the item or they made a mistake you have to pay shipping. I think that's fair. However, if you don't feel you are being treated right go ahead and call this # 1-800-201-7575 and ask for costumer service.

James White
03-07-2008, 8:15 AM
I always find calling is the best. You can ask the service agent to note certain details of your conversation and then escalate the matter latter down the line if you do not think you are being treated fairly.

James

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Returns/refunds are about as easy as you can get with Amazon. However, they have a policy that unless there is something wrong with the item or they made a mistake you have to pay shipping. I think that's fair. However, if you don't feel you are being treated right go ahead and call this # 1-800-201-7575 and ask for costumer service.

As I said I did read their policy before calling the 2nd time (day I was going to return the first item). I was not trying to "get away" with something. I was honnest and said I changed my mind. And specifically asked if it could be returned for no charge if I bought the other item. I was told twice I could (against their written policy). I would have kept the first one and been happy had I known that there would be a return fee. The whole reason for me calling the second time was I wanted to make sure since it was not their fault but mine for not keeping the first item.

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I always find calling is the best. You can ask the service agent to note certain details of your conversation and then escalate the matter latter down the line if you do not think you are being treated fairly.

James

I called this morning, and after about 5 minutes of holding they said we have your 2 phone contacts previously. And shipping charges will be refunded. :eek: :)

Still a lesson to be learned. Don't mail order something until you know for sure its what you really want!:rolleyes:

Travis Gauger
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Well it sounds like you got it worked out now and that they are going to take care of you. I have had several issues in the past with Amazon, none that would make me not buy from then again though. Like someone else stated too, most of my issues have been secondary suppliers of theirs or miscomunication issues.

So what about the Mortiser? I have a general and love it. Making square holes shouldn't be that easy. Enjoy.

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Well it sounds like you got it worked out now and that they are going to take care of you. I have had several issues in the past with Amazon, none that would make me not buy from then again though. Like someone else stated too, most of my issues have been secondary suppliers of theirs or miscomunication issues.

So what about the Mortiser? I have a general and love it. Making square holes shouldn't be that easy. Enjoy.

I was not mad at them until I got the canned email. I kinda knew in the back of my mind that there was a good chance I was going to be charged a return fee.

As for the Mortiser, I now have to decide on chisel's. I looked at Lee Valley and their premium set is from Japan for $119. Grizzly happens to sell a premium chisels from Japan that looks extremely similar for less, $107 for the same 4 sizes. I am thinking they are the same product but don't know.

Peter Quinn
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I have snet a few tools back to amazon,though never anything heavy. I'm always careful to click that "doesn't work with my equipment"or"product not as advertised" box which insures shipping refund. If you click "I don't want it" you pay shipping.

Travis Gauger
03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I was not mad at them until I got the canned email. I kinda knew in the back of my mind that there was a good chance I was going to be charged a return fee.

As for the Mortiser, I now have to decide on chisel's. I looked at Lee Valley and their premium set is from Japan for $119. Grizzly happens to sell a premium chisels from Japan that looks extremely similar for less, $107 for the same 4 sizes. I am thinking they are the same product but don't know.

I am assuming you got a hollow chisel mortiser. I have had mine for about a year now and use it weekly we'll say. I put about 35 hrs a week in the shop and find it a huge time saver. I have had the best luck with chisels from here. http://www.morriswoodtool.com/hollow-chisel-mortiser.htm They are expensive but nice bits. These are actually machined and not cast. They really hold their edge nicely. I first used these on a bolack walnut and european beech morris chair that had 346 1/2" X 1/2" mortises. One bit and chisel set got me through the whole chair without any sharpening. It was starting to tear and pull a little at the end, but incredible performance out of these. I have no affiliation to them, and I'd love to hear if you find somplace cheaper for the chisels.

Have fun with your new toy when you get it.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, I hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction. When I first read "Delta....return....mortiser" in the same thread I figured it was about another busted one. It seems that mortisers (especially Delta) are critters designed to be broken in shipping and Amazon has hired a troll with a large ball peen hammer to make sure of the situation....from what I've read. I bought a General at a woodworking show a few months ago partially for the reason that I would be lugging it home.

Howard Acheson
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I had to return an item to them two weeks ago. It had been damaged in shipment. Their customer service was excellent, in fact, it was "berry, beery good";)

I was directed to their website where I downloaded a return label, took the package to the UPS store and away it went. No charge. Two days later I received a confirmation that it had been received. That same day UPS delivered the replacement at no charge.

It was a slick process.

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I am assuming you got a hollow chisel mortiser. I have had mine for about a year now and use it weekly we'll say. http://www.morriswoodtool.com/hollow-chisel-mortiser.htm

Actually I am thinking I only need 1/2" and 3/8" chisels at the moment. I am guessing you have the 500 series from this company. Did they come prepared or did you have to clean them up when you got them? I just may order a couple from them and give it a try. But I don't want to pay a premium price for something that is really not premium quality (should be sharp and ready to go).

matt dumney
03-07-2008, 5:14 PM
Amazon can be a pain to deal with on returns. I know they did something similar to me where I bought and item, came defective, sent it back on their tab and they tried charging me a restocking fee and wouldn't refund the shipping fee...on a defective item???

Long story short...called them and they corrected the problem. It sounded like the information was incorrect in their systems. It was an easy fix but DUH!

Wilbur Pan
03-08-2008, 7:47 AM
However, if you don't feel you are being treated right go ahead and call this # 1-800-201-7575 and ask for costumer service.

I called that number. Asked for a pirate outfit. They overnighted the package to me, no extra charge. ;)

Roger Bull
03-08-2008, 9:01 AM
One thing about Amazon customer service, they have outsourced a lot of it to India. The quality of service IMO is much better when you talk to a US rep.

You can always ask if you are speaking with a US rep and if not, call back.

I order a tremendous amount of stuff I can't live without each year from Amazon and there are occasionally there are problems. They have some of the best customer service out there in my experience.

-Roger