PDA

View Full Version : Processing a LOT of Photo Tags

Tim Bateson
03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm about to process 200+- dog tags, each with a different photo and name. Any suggestions to make this more efficient?
:o

Joe Chritz
03-07-2008, 6:41 AM
When doing multiple tags I will either use thin acrylic and cut the holes or burn light circles on a piece of ply and then set up as many as I can fit. Leaving the pattern in the drawing you can add the info and then print a bunch at once.

While it is burning go and set up the next batch.

I have used this with name tags, card holders for a kindergarten class and a ton of rosettes. It is great with square rosettes since it eliminates any cumulative error on stock size.

Joe

Stephen Beckham
03-07-2008, 6:45 AM
Patience is the key to this one. When I get a bunch of photos for the ornaments and I start trying to rush or expedite, I goof one or two up. Don't comprimise on quality to save time - I know you didn't suggest or say that you would, but about 170 or so, human nature may try to take over.

As far as actually doing it, you might find it easier to make up a tag board out of cardboard or picture matting (I use scraps). I can put 36 or more on mine at a time. If you layout that many and prepare the images for that many - while they are etching, you can be working on the next 36 pictures.

Dang Joe - you type about four minutes faster than I do... Sorry for the repeat...

Joe Chritz
03-07-2008, 6:56 AM
Must be my lucky day.

Dang fine idea though if I do say so myself. Although if you are thinking like me you should get checked out immediately. :D

Joe

Tim Bateson
03-07-2008, 7:17 AM
I use a template that holds 50.

I was more hoping someone had a good suggestion for mass processing the photos through Photoshop and PhotoGrav. Maybe place a batch on a larger photo format, run through both programs using a photo format that way laid out like my template?

Stephen Beckham
03-07-2008, 9:31 AM
Tim - are you running 7.08 driver yet? I'm not sure if it'll help, I haven't tried it yet. It added some dithering/photo engraving capabilities. If it works and you are working on the right items, then there would be very little conversion to work with.

I kind of figured I wasn't adding much to your question. I don't think there is a mass or batch conversion possibility that will guarantee quality.

Nice job load though... Keep those big un's coming....

Steve

Bill Cunningham
03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I find on Anodized material, the definition ability of the metal to accept the etching is fine enough that I don't have to use photograv to get a good photo. The normal photo mode halftone in the driver will work well enough.. Your problem is not going to be 'etching' the photos, your problem is going to be weeding out the photos that 'won't' etch without work! Black dog on a black background is hard enough, but to get a decent photo of that on a tag is going to be tough, unless they were all taken in a professional setting, against a white background.. I hope you took this into consideration when you priced the job.. No doubt some of them will be a cakewalk, while others will have to producing scrap, or pulling your hair out (assuming of course you have some to pull out :D)..

Tim Bateson
03-08-2008, 6:39 PM
Thanks, I'll try a couple without PhotoGrav. If it saves me a few minutes then it will be well worth it. The first sample just happened to be a black dog on a black tag. After several attempts to remove all background, I didn't like any of the results, so decided to keep it. Less work and I like the result. I'm also going to play with those new Dithering options in the 7.08 driver.

Tony Williams
03-09-2008, 5:08 PM
where do you buy the dog tags, whats a good source,,,,,, thanks tony

Tim Bateson
03-09-2008, 6:39 PM
ebay - Chewbarka is the only place to buy quality tags. Great to work with and super fast delivery. They're working on a .com web page, but it isn't ready yet.

Leigh Costello
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Tim,
That looks awesome. As far as speeding up the process, I have no other words to offer. As far as doing 200+ individual tags, each different, patience, patience, patience. Good luck on the job. Seems like you are off to a fine start.

James Stokes
03-10-2008, 1:06 PM
I do not know what you are charging but I have yet to find anyone here who would pay for my time to process and engrave 200 photos.

Scott Shepherd
03-10-2008, 2:04 PM
I do not know what you are charging but I have yet to find anyone here who would pay for my time to process and engrave 200 photos.

That's my problem with Photograv. I think it's an amazing program and it's really cool, but darned if I can figure out how to make a revenue stream out of it when it deals with retail customers. I can't take a photograph of someone's cat, edit the photo, cut the background, deal with the puffy cat hair in masking the background out, then engrave it, and have the guts to tell the customer that they owe me $120 for an ornament :)

Darned if I can figure it out. More power to those who do, but I have no plans on taking on work that pays me $3 per hour.....again ;)

Brian Robison
03-10-2008, 2:46 PM
3 bucks an hour? It's like the guy that looses 3 cents a piece on tomatoes but makes it up in volume.:D

James Stokes
03-10-2008, 4:36 PM
I have been playing with my lasers and photograve for the last 8 years. Even with a perfect photo it will take 15 to 20 minutes to remove the backgound, process in photograve, then engrave it. I will not touch a photograph for less than $35

Ron Thompson
03-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Here's the link to Chewbarka

http://www.chewbarka.com/501.html

You can email them and request samples. Just let them know what you want the samples for. They have great service.

I prefer the black dog tags. They also have business card sizes.

Ron in San Jose

Barbara Buhse
03-11-2008, 3:11 PM
As far as the pricing goes on photo ornaments and tags... I do so many photos, and usually they are on larger items where the customer does not mind paying a good sum... however, during the holidays, I am always getting requests for photo ornaments. It does take me about 20 minutes to process the photo (which is always provided, I don't usually take them even though I have my camera just in case) so I solve the problem of the item seeming so meager vs. the price by charging them a higher price and making them in sets of three. It only costs pennies more to do three vs. one... then since they are getting three gifts, they don't seem to mind paying $39. (that would be for a set of three ornaments) This makes sure I am making something for my time, and they feel as if they are getting their money's worth (which they are!)
This method has worked well, I have repeat customers who now order mutiple sets (same photo on 9 or twelve ornamnets) and give them to everyone in the family. One customer gets all the siblings in the photo and another always uses the photo from the summer family reunion.
Three seems to be just right... one for mom and dad, and the other two for the two sets of grandparents.

Jack Harper
03-11-2008, 5:50 PM
Nice pricing model Barbara.

Tim Bateson
03-11-2008, 8:06 PM
Update - I did get the assignment. The customer is going to pre-process the photos. I'm skipping PhotoGrav by utilizing the new Dithering options in the Epilog 7.08 driver.

I'm also getting my logo on every tag. So now I'm getting paid to deliver over 200 business cards.