PDA

View Full Version : I want a quality Jointer

Deck Reagan
03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi,
I want a quality jointer that will be a last purchase. I just sold my Delta JT360. I was going to buy an enclosed cabinet 6 incher but I am shamed by many for even considering it. If I went with another 6 incher it would probably be the log bed Jet. It seems to be a nice machine for the money. When it comes to an 8 incher there are just so many choices. I want a standard 3 or 4 blade cutter. I am not interested in the spiral carbide cutters.

Is there anyone out there that thinks a 6 inch jointer is enough?

deck

Mike Spanbauer
03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
To be honest Deck, few who look to purchase their 'last' jointer pick a 6". Some are more than satisfied with an 8" and often stop there for life, but I've known none who don't want an 8" who have a 6".

Also, if this is to be your 'last' I would suggest you reconsider the spiral head as the carbide inserts will pay you back for the head over the life of the unit in sharpenings. For someone who will only own a machine a year or three it isn't necessarily cost effective, but if you're looking at 10+ years, then I'd do it in a heartbeat. Plus the finish quality is MUCH higher on a spiral head in addition to being MUCH quieter.

Just some thoughts for you, g'luck with your hunt :)

mike

matt dumney
03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Ditto on the previous post. Have you looked at the Jointers Grizzly has? I think there's an 8" for 6xx.xx

Simon Dupay
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
You want a quality jointer? here:
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/mediumjointer.gif
starts at only $10,000:D

Deck Reagan
03-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Mike,
I'm just a garage shop junkie that does wood working for a hobby that started in high school woods class. Mainly because I enjoy it and I think I can make things better (and cheaper) than I can buy them.

I don't know much about the spiral heads. I've read mixed reviews about them. It seems all the major equipment lines sell machines with the standard blades and the carbide squares. It would be nice to know the sales numbers for each style.

Anyway....The Grizz machines look nice but I have never owned one. I do like the looks of the G0656. I also like the PM 60B.

deck

Deck Reagan
03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I can get this from my local craigs list.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/558913291.html

deck

J. Z. Guest
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Deck, that blue one does have the makings to be your last jointer. How will you unload it though? Also, you'd need a phase converter, unless you miraculously have 3 phase power in your shop.

glenn bradley
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Grizzly G0490 has a very large following. Lots of them out there and lots of happy owners. I'm planning G0490X as I currently think inserts are the way to go for me. The reason I say currently is that I switch back to regular knives in my thoughts now and then. Reviews have put the cut quality about the same. Noise level, cutter life and ease of insert changes seem to be the real driving force for spirals.

Daniel Parker
03-06-2008, 11:20 PM
12" Grizzly will change your life. Well 12" of any variety but the Griz is affordable and solid. I love mine. To face boards you really need the size plus there are other bonuses you find once you have it.

Deck Reagan
03-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Glenn,
What do you think about the G0656? Seems like a pretty nice unit. I do like the G0490X though.

Deck

gary Zimmel
03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Deck, I too started with a 6" delta. It did a great job, however it seemed I outgrew it. My projects were getting a little bigger and the wood I seemed to buy was getting wider than 6"
A little over a year ago I bought a General 480 and it wasn't long after that I upgraded to a byrd head. The head cuts like a dream and I really like not having to take knives out and go through putting them back in after sharpening. Not long ago I missed a piece of metal in a poplar board and had to rotate 3 of the knives. Was up and running again in a matter of minutes and didn't have to get another set of knives sharpened.

If I could of afforded a 8" at the start I would of started there, but like most economics played a big role.

The 8' is serving me well but it may not be my last. (where is this going to stop..)

Happy Hunting

Rob Will
03-07-2008, 12:59 AM
By all means, buy the Cresent 12", it is a classic.
I run a 24" jointer and believe me, you will use every inch of whatever jointer you buy. You will love the 12" width.

As far as the 3-phase goes, you can get a phase converter at a decent price if you keep looking.

Old iron will be around long after some of the wanna-bees have reverted back to scrap metal.:eek::rolleyes:

Rob

Eric Haycraft
03-07-2008, 1:06 AM
Glenn,
What do you think about the G0656? Seems like a pretty nice unit. I do like the G0490X though.

Deck
Get the one from CL.. No comparison between an 8 and a 12 inch.. You won't regret it.

Deck Reagan
03-07-2008, 1:44 AM
I was just joking about the one from CL. It's just too big for my little two car garage. Plus I don't want to mess with the 3 phase.

Does anyone have the Grizzly G0656?

Deck

Joe Chritz
03-07-2008, 6:31 AM
I would snag that crescent and make a hole for it to fit.

I don't have that Grizzly but have a similar unit without mobile base. The parallelogram units are technically nicer but I doubt it is a huge difference.

The Grizzly unit is nice. You won't be disappointed with a spiral head. I can literally joint and edge right through a knot and get no chip out.

Joe

George Sanders
03-07-2008, 6:55 AM
My first jointer was an Atlas 3". Works good for small stuff. Next I bought a used 6" Craftsman on roll around stand for $100. This works well for me as all I use it for is to joint the edges on boards. All thicknessing is done on my 12" Parks planer. I do plan to upgrade to carbide blades on both units this year. Go with what you can afford and have room for.

Stephen Edwards
03-07-2008, 8:19 AM
I recently purchased the G0604X from the Grizzly Auctions store on ebay at a significant discount. They received a shipment of these jointers with a minor paint blemish and are selling them for $450 instead of $575. I had to look long and hard to find the blemish.

For my needs, a 6" jointer serves the purpose well. If it will serve your needs, I highly recommend that you check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grizzly-6-Parallelogram-Jointer-Warranty-NEW-G0604XB_W0QQitemZ290212415995QQihZ019QQcategoryZ67 227QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. But again, it depends on your needs.

Good luck on your search for a new jointer!

Rod Sheridan
03-07-2008, 8:20 AM
Hi,
I want a quality jointer that will be a last purchase. I just sold my Delta JT360. I was going to buy an enclosed cabinet 6 incher but I am shamed by many for even considering it. If I went with another 6 incher it would probably be the log bed Jet. It seems to be a nice machine for the money. When it comes to an 8 incher there are just so many choices. I want a standard 3 or 4 blade cutter. I am not interested in the spiral carbide cutters.

Is there anyone out there that thinks a 6 inch jointer is enough?

deck

Deck, if you're looking for a quality jointer try General (still made in Canada) or Felder, MiniMax, Rojek, Hammer etc.

I've gone from a 6 inch to a 12 inch Hammer planer/jointer to get some extra width as well as being able to skew the workpiece in case of grain situations.

Regards, Rod.

Stephen Edwards
03-07-2008, 8:21 AM
If the link that I just included in my post doesn't work, go to ebay and search grizzly jointer.

Dave Bureau
03-07-2008, 9:00 AM
you dont want that cresent if it has a clam head unless youre going to change the head. they are dangerous. I found a 16" cresent with the good head. nice machine after i fixed it up. (1 phase motor and new babbit bearings.)
DAve

Don Bullock
03-07-2008, 9:46 AM
I'm very happy that I bought the Grizzly G 0490 instead of buying a 6" jointer. One of the first boards I ran through it would have been too long for the 6". If you must have a 6" jointer, the Jet is a very good machine.

Rick Lizek
03-07-2008, 7:56 PM
I was just joking about the one from CL. It's just too big for my little two car garage. Plus I don't want to mess with the 3 phase.

Does anyone have the Grizzly G0656?

Deck
I'd get the Crescent! The table set up is better than a parallelgram by far! I've been repairing machinery for 25 years and the Crescent is one of the best old iron jointers out there. Easy to mount on a mobile base and the direct drive would be best served with a VFD from www.factorymation.com

Chris Zenda
03-07-2008, 9:00 PM
you dont want that cresent if it has a clam head unless youre going to change the head. they are dangerous. I found a 16" cresent with the good head. nice machine after i fixed it up. (1 phase motor and new babbit bearings.)
DAve

What exactly is a Clam head???:confused:

glenn bradley
03-07-2008, 9:51 PM
Glenn,

Deck

I'm sold on p-beds but a lot of folks have DT-way jointers and are very happy.