PDA

View Full Version : Dad's 101-06260 Craftsman Lathe

James David
03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I have dug out my Dad's Craftsman (101-06260) lathe that he purchased in the 40's. I know about ABC but sentiment still prevails. I've cleaned it up, sharpened the tools but I only have one center drive and it is in dreadful shape. I believe the taper is Brown and Sharpe #7 (it's not MT #2). I considered reaming the existing taper to MT #2. The large end of the existing taper is smaller than MT #2 but the small end of the existing taper is larger than the small end of MT #2. Therefore, after reaming, the mating surface of a new MT #2 drive would be less than the length of the drive resulting in, possibly, not sufficient friction surface to hold the drive under power. Any suggestions on replacing the drive? Thank you, in advance.

http://sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Troy Donson
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
David,

Can you post any pictures?

Troy

robert hainstock
03-07-2008, 1:41 PM
I had a sears lathe but I don't know the part #. there were two different models in my day, the one I had was made with two steel tubes 48" long for the bed, they were I in+ in diameter. The other was a momo tube bed appx 2 1/2 in. diameter. nither had a morse taper. Sears parts of course has no knowledgd of your model #. Some one may be able to identify yours by a picture. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob