PDA

View Full Version : How do we fill engraving with Brass?

Paul Anthony
03-06-2008, 9:21 PM
We have a job requiring a brass fill inside the engraved area of a logo. I've been told there is a method , just not sure where to find it. I'm assuming it has to be poured , then sanded off flush with the face of the panel.
Whatever the method , it needs to be efficiant because we have almost four thousand pieces to do.
Hopefully someone has an idea. Almost forgot. The engraving is done in wood panels

Mike Null
03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Paul

here's a link to a cold casting process which may work.

http://www.techno-industrial.com/DataSheets/ColdCast.PDF

Kim Vellore
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I would do the engraving in Delrin or acrylic a little deeper then make a mold and cast 4000 brass pieces from it so once done in wood this cast piece will just fit in the engraved wood to be sanded off. I am not sure how intricate and how many cast pieces this will take but just an idea.
Kim

Paul Anthony
03-07-2008, 9:11 AM
Thanks Mike. I spoke with a customer who does alot of solid surface material and he suggested the same procedure. He's doing a sample for me today to see how well it works in wood.

Rodne Gold
03-07-2008, 9:35 AM
Easiest and cheapest way is to have the brass CNC cut or stamped and then inlay it into the wood.
I would advise your customer of a potential disaster however , cos brass will tarnish no matter WHAT you do and cleaning it is gonna be a real problem cos brasso or the like is gonna mess with the wood and its grain.
The solution in that case if real brass is not essential , is to use Spectrum lights with a brushed brass finish on the wood. How durable that will be over time , I dunno.
Inlays are also problematic cos to control depth in a laser is a nightmare and wood engraves with ridges and grain structure and varys from piece to piece.
If you were gonna do a REAL brass inlay and wanted to avoid the wood cleaning problem and reduce costs and time , the best way is to use a cheap base and get some woodgrain melamine or formica , vector cut the place where the inlay is to go and use brass the same thickness as the melamine. This will be a VERY durable way of doing things and brasso can be wiped off the melamine/formica. Formica also engraves well and can e color filled , laser engraving it gives the same effect as laser engraving on real wood , ie a burnt branded look and if its not "woody" enough looking , you can rub a stain on the engraving and wipe it off the unengraved surface.
4000 is a big qty.
Can you post a pic or a drawing of whats intended and sizes etc?

Joe Pelonio
03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
if it doesn't have to be solid brass, I have used a powdered metal product that I mix into a clear paint and sprayed it, and it looks great. You could mix it into something like resin or clear epoxy if it need to be built up closer to flush.

http://www.crescentbronze.us/