PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to have a laser to enter?

Scott Shepherd
03-06-2008, 7:57 PM
On the recent giveaways in the laser section, there are a load of people signed up who I've never seen before. My only guess is that they aren't laser owners, but rather people who post in other areas of the forum.

Do you have to be a laser owner to opt into these drawings? Doesn't make a lot of sense for people to donate laserable products and then someone who doesn't own a laser win the prize. Is that the way it's supposed to work? Do you have to have a laser to opt in, or should you have to have a laser to opt in?

Mike Null
03-06-2008, 8:07 PM
Scott

I don't think so. And if we had such a rule I wouldn't know how to police it nor would I want to.

Scott Shepherd
03-06-2008, 8:50 PM
Doesn't seem right to me. If someone donated wood turning tools in the turning section, and I don't own a lathe, it wouldn't make much sense for me entering and winning, would it?

Turning tools should go to people in the turning section, laser products should go to people in the laser section.

Just my opinion.

Joe Pelonio
03-06-2008, 9:29 PM
Doesn't seem right to me. If someone donated wood turning tools in the turning section, and I don't own a lathe, it wouldn't make much sense for me entering and winning, would it?

Turning tools should go to people in the turning section, laser products should go to people in the laser section.

Just my opinion.
Scott,

What you said makes sense, but the rules state that any contributing member is eligible. If the item being given away is a wooden pen box, people without a laser might like it too, especially if they turn pens. At the same time, a laser owner might like to enter a drawing for a prize of a set of clamps, though you might not glue up wood as often as a cabinetmaker does. Your example is an item that's of specific interest to turners, but many of the other prizes, including pen boxes, are of greater general interest.

There have been cases when Keith put in the post for the drawing that it was for members with a laser, such as the lens, but even then, as Mike said, we have no way to enforce that. The laser owner list is voluntary and no one has ever required proof that any of us really owns a laser.

Joe

Scott Shepherd
03-06-2008, 9:54 PM
So what's the purpose of having a give away in each section? I believe the vast majority of the people on Sawmill Creek are honest people, and if it's clear you're not a turner and don't post in the turning area, then you shouldn't enter the drawing for the turning relating products.

Clearly people who donate give because they believe there is some return on their donation. If you give turning tools to people who don't own a lathe, then there's zero chance of them buying more turning tools from you.

Just doesn't seem right to me.

Keith Outten
03-07-2008, 5:51 AM
Scott,

The type of prize will always have some bearing on the people who will opt-in for a drawing. It is unlikely that laser owners who don't own a lathe would opt-in when the prize is turning tools. Consequently it is unlikely that a turner will opt-in to a drawings for a vector table. The problem with pens is that everyone can use them whether they are engraved or not.

There is always the possibility of some crossover from people like me that own both a lathe and a laser engraver. The point is that we don't want to start implementing controls over drawings, if we did that everyone would lose faith. Even if there are a few who will opt-into every drawing I expect it will be very rare...except in drawing like the pens and pen boxes which everyone can certainly use. I hope one of our engravers wins the pen drawing but you have to admit 25 pens and matching boxes is a really nice prize.

No matter who wins Universal Laser Systems receives the same amount of exposure here for their company and woodworkers are a huge market full of people who may purchase their first laser engraver at some point. We have seen a lot of woodworkers here purchase laser engravers for the first time with a goal of increasing the value of their existing projects and not necessarily with the intent of getting into the engraving business. As far as placing this drawing in the Laser Engraving Forum it is the best fit for this particular prize, I expect you agree.

If this Community would like us to make changes to the FreeStuff Program we would certainly entertain comments and suggestions, anything that improves the program would be beneficial to all.

Joe Chritz
03-07-2008, 6:19 AM
or people like me who don't own a laser but have free access to one anytime I want to use it. Same for CNC, it isn't mine but I use it a lot. Since I don't know as much about those areas as others I rarely post in them unless something I happen to have done pops up.

It would be difficult if not impossible to police and is most likely best left to the people to hopefully self regulate it.

Joe

Dan Hintz
03-07-2008, 7:53 AM
Another possibility? Maybe some are interested in heading in a different/new direction... maybe a turner is interested in the types of materials the lasers work well with, so a free sample is a good deal. They can take those samples to their local laser sales office and have them try a few items. If he/she doesn't like it, they can always give it away again, but that's their call.

I'm all for turning newbies onto the dark side :p

Glenn Clabo
03-07-2008, 8:54 AM
What Keith said...and...

I have 2 major issues every-time I post a drawing. Where should it go so the most interested contributors will see it? And should I make it an opt in drawing? I try to put it where it will get the most exposure. I make it an opt in so at least it makes people show an interest...which I also hope will make them be a little more honest that they would use it for the intended purpose...or even in some way more than just winning something. If I made it open to the entire community some people may win something they would never use.

It should also be noted that unless it has been posted before...I always ask the donator if they agree with my proposed posting...before I post it.

The one suggestion forwarded to me a few times since I took this over from Keith is...That we post ALL drawings in the FreeStuff Forum. I'm reluctant to do that because many people don't go to that forum and it defeats the advantages we are trying to give the suppliers so they will continue to donate.

Sandra Force
03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I think that how you are doing the drawings is the best way and I will admit that even though I am not a turner I am interested in blanks because I have access to the equipment and would like to try it. Since I don't post in the turners forum I haven't opted into their stuff but can see doing it if interested in the future. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.:D