PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy shims?

Randy Klein
03-06-2008, 7:46 PM
I need to square my BS table to the blade. This requires using shims, but I have no idea where to buy them. Are these BORG or Woodcraft items?

Dick Bringhurst
03-06-2008, 7:49 PM
Most any metal supply house will have them. Dick B.

Bob Wingard
03-06-2008, 7:49 PM
Beer/soda cans, notebook paper, feeler gauges all make great "shims".

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2008, 7:52 PM
Randy,

I buy brass shim stock from a local machine shop. It's relatively cheap ...the last time I need some, they gave me an 8x11" sheet and didn't even charge me.

Randy Klein
03-06-2008, 7:58 PM
I just remembered I have a Fastenal nearby. I checked their website and they definitely have them. Thanks for all the quick responses.

Peter Quinn
03-06-2008, 8:00 PM
Go to McMaster Carr and type in shims. I like the slotted brass shims for tables. I got a kit that comes in real handy for those types of adjustments.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Mark Carlson
03-06-2008, 8:02 PM
lee valley sells brass shim stock.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40946&cat=1,43456,43407

Jim Nardi
03-06-2008, 9:20 PM
Anywhere that does work on big electric motors will sell some nice shim stock with the thickness stamped on them. Once you own a box of them it's good for a lifetime.

Phil Thien
03-06-2008, 9:32 PM
Do you have any idea how far off you are? The reason I ask is that the washers in the bins at your local hardware store often vary in thickness because they come from different lots. When I need thicker shims I often take my digital caliper w/ me and find various thickness washers that I can then combine into a solution.

Randy Klein
03-07-2008, 6:36 AM
As it turns out, I don't need the shims. I have the Rikon 14" Deluxe BS. After taking off the table, I noticed there were set screws where the trunnion is bolted to the frame. The manual didn't mention this. So I put the table back on and with a little back and forth between set screws and combo square, I was able to square the table rather easily.

James Suzda
03-07-2008, 6:58 AM
I need to square my BS table to the blade. This requires using shims, but I have no idea where to buy them. Are these BORG or Woodcraft items?

Call me dense but in which direction are we trying to square the table to the blade? Forward to back? I guess I never thought of squaring the table to the blade in that direction.

Randy Klein
03-07-2008, 9:32 AM
Call me dense but in which direction are we trying to square the table to the blade? Forward to back? I guess I never thought of squaring the table to the blade in that direction.

Yep, forward to back. It's not really necessary unless you're going to do joinery with the BS and/or are just anal about things. I'm the latter.