PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Storage

Blaine Pickard
03-07-2003, 9:25 AM
Thinking of moving my lumber rack outside & under deck so I can gain some extra needed feet inside garage. The garage is unheated so I don think this should have any effect on the wood. If I put a roof- top over it so any rain won’t fall on the wood do you think I am creating a problem.
Thanks
Blaine
:confused:

Todd Burch
03-07-2003, 10:16 AM
You'll just have to reclimatize your wood before using it again. Outside, it will be more vulnerable to changes in humidity, and will reach EMC faster. But, if you're already practicing "long term storage", no big deal.

More of a change for bugs, and possible rodent & insect housing, but wood has been storage outside for a L O N G time and been fine. Keep it dry - ends too.

Todd.

Rob Russell
03-07-2003, 11:29 AM
If you decide to store the wood outsid,e make sure it's stored an a FLAT surface that you've prepped for the weight. If you don't , you'll induce cups, waves, etc. into the boards. Make sure you deal with ground moisture. Your wood needs to be off the ground enlough so moisture fromt he dirt doesn't leach up inot hte stack.

Joe Suelter
03-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Have you thought about building a small storage shed, just for the wood? I would think that the wood would warp faster outside due to the constant change in humidity, where-as inside the garage, it would take a little longer for the humidity to change. Lumber yards store wood outside though, but under a canopy and usually pretty high off the ground. If in doubt, try a few boards outside for a couple months, and see what happens. Keep us posted as to what happens to them. Good Luck.