PDA

View Full Version : Central Machinery Table Saw

Matt Woessner
03-06-2008, 4:41 PM
There is a Central Machinery table saw model number tsc10l close by for $200. I was wondering if anyone has a model like this or has a picture of one? Are these good saws? Would this be a good deal? Thanks for the help.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2008, 4:55 PM
Central Machinery is Harbor Freight. The model number doesn't sound like a typical HF model number--typically they are a 5 digit number, sometimes followed by a - and some more characters.

I don't have any experience with a table saw, but in general buying Harbor Freight can be a bit of a crap shoot. Some stuff is good and some isn't. If you buy used, you don't have the ability to take it back if it is the latter.

Matt Woessner
03-06-2008, 4:56 PM
I was kinda thinking that there stuff was not the best, I cant even find out what this thing looks like. Thanks for the input

Stephen Edwards
03-06-2008, 5:14 PM
I looked on the HF website and can't find it.

Eric Haycraft
03-06-2008, 5:16 PM
I looked on the HF website and can't find it.

My googling hints that it may be a grizzly with that model number.

scott spencer
03-06-2008, 5:37 PM
Have never used any of them, but have looked them over several times. HF has offered a few different 10" contractor style saws over the years. A couple of them were ok if the price was right and you know how to set one up. I've read a few positive comments from owners who were getting them in the $270 to $350 range. These were full size 27"d cast iron saws with belt drive outboard motors. One had cast iron webbed wings and a look alike Align-a-rip style aluminum fence...the whole thing looked very much like earlier Ridgid saws. If the saw you're looking at is new and fits this description it might be ok if you're willing to fiddle a bit...they're return policy has historically been pretty good. $200 sounds high for a Central Machinery contractor saw if it's used.

At least one of the HF 10" saws was a smaller direct drive with universal motor, and not one that I'd bother with.

AFAIK, that model you gave is made by Mao Shan (http://www.maoshan.com/p1_tsc-10l.htm), who supplies saws for other brands. At one time or another I believe they've made saws for Grizzly, Bridgewood, Woodtek, and likely others.

http://www.maoshan.com/images/products-all/tsc-10l-01.gif

Mark Engel
03-06-2008, 5:38 PM
If it is a HF table saw for $200, I would walk away. There aren't many HF power tools that are high quality, long lasting tools. IMHO.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-06-2008, 6:25 PM
If it turns out to be the worst tool you ever purchased you can always convert it to something else.
$200.00 may seem like a lot to pay for a slab or relatively flat cast iron but hey, it's iron.

If the money is the thing and you want a nice saw and haven't got more I suggest you save your pennies.

On the flip side offer him $100.00 and see what happens.

Maybe he'll take it.