PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot

Jody Malinich
03-06-2008, 4:12 PM
I'm just in the infantcy stage when it comes to CNC's. While I do have a quick learning ability for new things I am still concerned that I may not have enough of dedicated time to be up and running with one of these and still be able to make our shadow box commitments. I've been designing a whole new line of military centric items that I'll need a CNC to do. I'm looking at a PRSAlpha in 120-60-6 with a spindle, planning on pulling the trigger end of this year or early next year. I have the shopbot forum bookmarked so I go there quite a bit, doesn't seem to get alot of traffic like the creek does. I know a few of you have bots and would like to hear y'alls thoughts about the machine and uses. How hard is it to learn? Any info I can use as collateral when the time comes to ask the banker (LOML) for a loan is greatly appreciated.:D What software for designing(2.5d carvings mostly)should I be looking at getting to be ready for when I do get a CNC in-house?

Thnaks
Jody

Doug Hoffman
03-06-2008, 6:41 PM
If you spend time on the Bot forums,you know how helpful the members are.All you have to do is ask for a demo in your area.They will go out of their way to show you what you can do,and what software works best.When I asked,I recieved several invites to see their machine.They asked what kind of work I was interested in,and then they setup their Bots to show the things that pretained to my work. Seeing the Bot in action is by far better than an answer here!

Steve knight
03-06-2008, 11:50 PM
true good visit will help a lot. but no cnc machine will be fast to really learn they have so many different area's you need to learn. first is to learn to draw the things you want to make out. then when creating toolpaths you need to learn what bit will work how fast to cut it and what rpm and these will change with materials. you have to learn to run and maintain the machine. and you have to learn to hold your material in place.
the shopbot forum is not busy but there is more info on cnc machines there then here.

Ed Lang
03-07-2008, 8:24 AM
I see you are in MD.

I am located 12 miles east of Charlottesville, VA. You are welcome to see my machine.

There will be a saturday get together on the Eastern Shore in a couple of weeks as well as a full day "camp" at my shop in September.

You see a lot more traffic here because there is draw for many different kinds of woodworking. ShopBots forum only has ShopBot folks.

Call or email me if you like.

Ed

Keith Outten
03-07-2008, 9:22 PM
Ed,

Which Saturday is Bill having his get together? I haven't seen it announced on the ShopBot Forum, been kinda busy lately.

Ed Lang
03-09-2008, 7:33 PM
Hi Keith,

I asked Bill not to have it this week as the industrial woodworking show is the 13th and 14th. I am looking for a wide belt sander to help me keep up with production. I have been running 7 days a week since January. yes, things are real good right now.

So, to really answer your question, maybe next weekend or the next.

I'll see if I can get a firm answer.

ed

Jody Malinich
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Ed,

Appreciate the offer, I may try to hook up with you within the next couple months. Got a ton of work to do and my one day off this month we are going to the show in Chantilly. It's an annual trek for us. We don't buy much but sure is nice to look at all the neat stuff. I'll keep in touch and work a timeframe in that suits your schedule.

Jody

Ed Lang
03-13-2008, 5:05 PM
Hi Jody,

Enjoy the show. I was in Fredericksburg today at the Capitol Area Industrial show. It runs tomorrow too. I was there looking at 15" wide belt sanders. Lots of big iron to look at and I enjoyed the day away from the shop.

I was thinking about going to the show you are going to but decided to spend the day making a trip to Grizzly in PA to get a widebelt. Now to pick the day and verify they have them in stock!

Take care

Jody Malinich
03-13-2008, 9:28 PM
Ed,
Wish I could go with you. Love the showroom up there. I make 4 or 5 trips a year up there to visit family and Saturdays are Grizzly day.

Keith Outten
03-14-2008, 4:01 AM
Ed,

Sounds like you have plenty of work these days, do you want some more?

Ed Lang
03-14-2008, 6:43 AM
Ed,

Sounds like you have plenty of work these days, do you want some more?

Hi Keith,

I have been working 7 days a week since the middle of December. I have turned away every job that has come my way since January. I expect another month and I'll get some free time to rest. Yesterdays trip to the show was quality time for me, just me and the road. The show was good too.

No free CNC or laser machine time around here just yet..... maybe in a month or two I'll have some if you still need any help. I feel bad I cannot help right now.

ed

Keith Starosta
03-14-2008, 6:46 AM
Hi Keith,

... Yesterdays trip to the show was quality time for me, just me and the road. The show was good too.

ed

Hi Ed. It was real nice meeting you at the show yesterday. I enjoyed the show, as well. Felt a little out of place, as I'm just a home-shop owner, but it was great to see how the "big boys" do it. ;)

- Keith;)

Frank Triana
03-14-2008, 9:33 PM
With CNC goes the hand made/hand carved that the woodwork has had. The same principals used in metal working should apply. NC (numerical control) was commissioned by the air force to make plane skins lighter. CNC (computer numerical control) makes programming easier, basically the computer helps you program. Lean manufacturing principals allow quick change to occur without big time issues. There are so many things out there to help. I've been in the metal industry for 33 years and can only see wood as a soft material, perfect for high speed machining from a speeds and feeds prospective. However, the initial cost may be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I'm seeing inferior CAD/CAM software and cheap machines being looked at as an answer. To compete with China you will have to make the big initial investment and use lean manufacturing. Otherwise, your just going to be a mom n pop trying to take on Walmart.
In any case good luck and please feel free to ask me to be specific. My generalizations are just my way of not writing an entire book here. Because there is so vast a subject here today.

Ed Lang
03-16-2008, 8:54 AM
Keith,

I was great seeing you at the show too.

I went back yesterday with my cousin. Had a ball and he even spent some money.

He and I were talking about going to the hobby show in Chantilly today. Not sure I can spend another day away from the shop.

take care

Keith Outten
03-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Frank,

Your take is a bit different from mine. I think CNC routers are very affordable these days, even cheaper than a good table saw if you consider their earning capacity. I also don't look at CNC work as being competitive with China or Walmart since they can't provide custom work right here in my local area.

ShopBot ships more CNC routers than any other company these days, this is because they have a solid machine that is very affordable. ShopBots aren't perfect machines and certainly you wouldn't expect to compete with a $250.000 router but they are in a price range that a small one man shop can afford. I waited years for a quality CNC router to be available that was affordable, ShopBot and possibly a couple other company's are now competing in that market.

I have never purchased a machine that was so easy to pay for, as versatile and so much fun to own as a CNC router. The key is I purchased the right one the first time.

Everyone's mileage will vary I guess as it depends on your marketing capability and your product line if a CNC machine will work for you, it did for me.

Jody Malinich
03-17-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't look at a CNC as making the handmade woodcraft go away but to enhance or aid in bring back some of those things that have been shipped overseas. I do alot of military items and it kills me to see a persons comittment to country get displayed in a box from malaysia,tiawan ect.. I think a CNC will grow my business and make it more competitive with the imported stuff.

Kenneth Hertzog
03-21-2008, 7:39 AM
Jody
I wish more people had the MADE IN AMERICA attitude.
Keep up the good work and I agree with you 100%

got any wood yet???

ken

Jody Malinich
03-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Ken,

Got the walnut blanks ready, making the oak ones today. Should have them on the way to you Monday.

Jody