PDA

View Full Version : Small Gloat (Stanley No 4)

Dan Barr
03-06-2008, 2:05 PM
Yee Haa!

I dont know what type it is. I'm guessing somewhere in the 9 neighborhood. I'm not 100% sure as I have not thoroughly attempted to confirm. I dont have any good books or websites to look at to see each one.

But, for $35.00 at the antique store, I couldnt just let it sit there all homeless and lonely. It has a lonely brother (No 5) that I am thinking about adopting as well. Another 35 dollars though. Its also from the same time i believe.

I have not cleaned it in any way except to rub my fingers over the cast letters so that they would be more legible.

Clint Jones: :D please lend your expertise on this here being a type 9 or whatever. I would appreciate it. And maybe a link to a site that shows all the types if you know of one.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Barr
03-06-2008, 2:09 PM
more pictures

Dan Barr
03-06-2008, 2:15 PM
more pictures

Jim Koepke
03-06-2008, 2:15 PM
Yee Haa!

I dont know what type it is. I'm guessing somewhere in the 9 neighborhood. I'm not 100% sure as I have not thoroughly attempted to confirm. I dont have any good books or websites to look at to see each one.

But, for $35.00 at the antique store, I couldnt just let it sit there all homeless and lonely. It has a lonely brother (No 5) that I am thinking about adopting as well. Another 35 dollars though. Its also from the same time i believe.

I have not cleaned it in any way except to rub my fingers over the cast letters so that they would be more legible.

Clint Jones: :D please lend your expertise on this here being a type 9 or whatever. I would appreciate it. And maybe a link to a site that shows all the types if you know of one.

Thanks,

Dan

One patent date, no raised ring around the knob. Middle of the SW era, type 13.

Here is the site for help:

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/planes101/typing/typing.htm

Have fun taking a diamond in the ruff to nice and shiny.

jim

Kevin French
03-06-2008, 3:10 PM
$35 for a #5, It shuold be in better shape then this one.

$35 is a bit high for these planes, but not uncommon.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2008, 5:15 PM
One thing to consider, with an even layer of rust, a few light rubs on some 400 sandpaper and you will be able to see if the sole needs any work.

jim

Dan Barr
03-06-2008, 5:49 PM
Jsut that,

The rust is only topical. a very thin layer at most, no pitting or disfigurement in any way. I have not touched the thing except to rub my fingers over the letters.

This little beaut will clean up nicely and i'll have me a nice little No 4.

I'm thinking about going and buying a Hock iron and maybe a LN lever cap. But thats another $36 for the iron and $20 for the lever cap.

I wish i had time to do the "Bob Smalser" rehab routine on it, but, im moving to england in a few months and there's no since in buying more chemicals that they arent going to let me ship.

ciao,

dan

Mark Stutz
03-06-2008, 6:41 PM
That ought to clean up nicely, but DON'T buy the #5! Save your money for
England. You never know when that Norris or Spiers infill will jump out at you! You can always get a #5 when you get back! And if you find an infill or a nice set of skewed H & R that you don't want, send me a PM:D

Dan Barr
03-06-2008, 6:56 PM
I'll be in England for probably 2-4 years minimum. I plan on catching as many estate sales, boot sales, antique shops ad infinitum that I can find. The idea now is that i'll just slowly sink my spending cash into all the infill's and rare tools i can find and when i move back to the USA, i'll open it all up for sale to you all. At least the folks on SMC are more likely to appreciate that tool as opposed to "collector" or "decorator" on Ebay. yuk

it drives me up the wall how many people "decorate" with planes and saws and what-not around colorado.

I found my Stanley type 9 No 6 at a flea market for 15 dollars. It was painted gold of all things!!! I couldnt believe it. that was a pain in the @$$ to strip too.

I also found a stanley transition plane (also about the size of a 6) for 20 dollars at a flea market.

anyway, i'll commence tool hoarding once i get there. i'll drop a line or two on here as well. anyone looking for any particular thing should drop me a line and i'll keep an eye out. Of course, once i find the second one of whatever, then i'll sell you that one :) (unless im not interested in it to begin with)

cheers,

dan

Dan Barr
03-06-2008, 7:14 PM
http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/stanleyplane/pftsynch.htm

this has got to be the best thing ive ever found on the internet.

Enjoy!

Dan

Pedro Reyes
03-06-2008, 7:17 PM
Dan,

The bed on it looks type 13, the wood looks like it is from a later plane. The blade seems to be pre type 10. But then again, who knows what Stanley did with inventory right? They were not concerned with this type stuff.

/p

Clint Jones
03-06-2008, 8:07 PM
Looks like a type 13 bed and frog with an earlier cap or blade. The handles arent from a stanley plane. They are from some other brand and are hardwood with red paint. I would make a new tote and knob if I were you. Looks like it isnt real rusted or pitted and should clean up to be a nice working plane.

Here is a tote and knob set I made for someone on another forum.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/junkerjones/MVC-012S.jpg

Steve Clardy
03-06-2008, 8:48 PM
Yes. It started life as a type 13 and got some mixed parts along the way.

Type 13 [#2 through 8] I have as my user set.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2008, 9:50 PM
http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/stanleyplane/pftsynch.htm

this has got to be the best thing ive ever found on the internet.

Enjoy!

Dan

There appear to be some errors in type studies and they often do not agree.
They are interesting, but no one was taking notes when the planes were being made and Stanley, or anyone else for that matter, did not know there was going to be a test.

my 2¢

jim

Kevin French
03-07-2008, 3:05 AM
I found my Stanley type 9 No 6 at a flea market for 15 dollars. It was painted gold of all things!!! I couldnt believe it. that was a pain in the @$$ to strip too.

I also found a stanley transition plane (also about the size of a 6) for 20 dollars at a flea market.

cheers,

dan

Now That more like it. Now find a few yard Sales and you'll have a complete set of Bench Planes before you leave.