PDA

View Full Version : Snowing in Texas!

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, it was supposed to rain all day, turn to sleet aroud 5 or 6:00, then to snow this evening. It's 11:26 now, and it's been snowing for a while now. Collecting on the cars and the ground. Air temp is about 33. I'm at work, about 15 miles west of the loop around Fort Worth, right on the I-20 access road. This will make the day go sloooooooowwww. Most people will not get out now to bring a car in for repair. Can't blame them. I'd advise them not to get out. Wish I could go home myself!!;) Except the shop would be too cold to work in.:(
Everyone stay safe!! Jim.

Joe Skinner
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm up by Alliance and it is not snowing yet, just really yucky. Sleet and ice right at evening rush hour, good deal!

Bruce Page
03-06-2008, 2:24 PM
It snowed a little here last night.

Joe Pelonio
03-06-2008, 2:38 PM
I guess I should feel bad since here in the NW it's sunny and nearly 60, but I rarely get a chance to say the weather is nicer than in Texas.

Be careful out in it!

Lee Schierer
03-06-2008, 2:59 PM
It's 45 degrees here and sunny in Northwest Pennsylvania.

Dave Anderson NH
03-06-2008, 3:27 PM
I feel pretty good right now about the weather. In our part of southern NH it's been almost a week since we've had snow. The 2" of rain however did cause another rash of roof collapses after it was absorbed into the 4 feet of snow some idiots have left unshoveled on their roofs.

Judy Kingery
03-06-2008, 3:30 PM
I'm with ya, Jim, about an inch earlier, poor visiblity this morning it snowed so hard, but now streets are clear, but we have about a half inch still stuck to the lawns, 32 degrees, w/ a 19 degree wind chill. We're your neighbors over in Abilene. Hurry up spring, ha! Jude

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2008, 6:31 PM
I just remembered....I mowed the grass on Sunday. Since then, it has snowed twice here!! Monday we just saw some spitting on this side of the metroplex, but South Dallas had a few inches. Now this. :confused: We did get to leave work a little early. About an hour. Some left a little earlier than that. Streets are fine now, and will probably stay that way. Bridges and overpasses could be trouble in the am if the temp proceeds to fall, like it is supposed to. But only down to 30 or so. But then it's always colder outside of town. Hope I can get up the little hill past the bridge over our creek in the morning. Or do I???:rolleyes: Jim.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-06-2008, 8:18 PM
Hi, Jim. I snowed here in Stephenville a little but most of it was sleet mixed with rain. It started the frozen stuff about noon and came down heavy and changed to snow about four. It's stopped for right now. Some is sticking to things but is melting off the ground.

There was more last week.....it snowed about an inch then. This was after a high of 92 on Tuesday. The last snow before that was last Thanksgiving day.

James Jaragosky
03-06-2008, 8:22 PM
Hi, Jim. I snowed here in Stephenville a little but most of it was sleet mixed with rain. It started the frozen stuff about noon and came down heavy and changed to snow about four. It's stopped for right now. Some is sticking to things but is melting off the ground.

There was more last week.....it snowed about an inch then. This was after a high of 92 on Tuesday. The last snow before that was last Thanksgiving day.
you know in some parts of the country people don't even notice the snow unless they get at least 3 inches:eek:

Jason Roehl
03-06-2008, 8:28 PM
Personally, I'm getting a little weary of shoveling all the white global warming off my driveway. I think we broke the record for February snowfall, got a few inches in March already, with more on the way this weekend. Oh, well, at least I'm staying somewhat in shape.

I do wish it were a little closer to, say, 60ºF for the next few days, rather than 30-35ºF, as I'm pressure-washing the inside of an unheated, uninsulated steel building that's about 100'x500', 20' at the sides and 40' at the peak. I forgot my rubber boots today, so the toes got a little wet and chilly by the time I packed it in tonight. Having to trudge through 6" of water, slush, ice and snow to deal with about 1000' of 1.25" water line didn't help. Good thing I have plenty of "liquid warmth" on hand here at home.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-06-2008, 8:32 PM
Shovel snow? :confused:

Now there's a novel idea.

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2008, 9:19 PM
Yeah, around these parts, if there is that much on the ground, it's used for snowmen or snow ball fights. Speaking of which, our Service Director (over 7 dealerships and 9 vehicle brands) started a snowball fight in the shop this afternoon. :eek: Ice balls were flying all over the place! Sometimes you just have to know when to play around! :D Jim.

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2008, 9:59 PM
Send it my way!!!!!!! I'd love to have some snow. :D

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Looks like it's in Arky land now, but maybe south of you. We are supposed to get some light stuff after 4 in the morning. But we'll see if it actually happens. Nite all! Jim.

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks Jim..!!!!! It's snowing here and it's real purdy!! :D :cool:

Rich Engelhardt
03-07-2008, 6:16 AM
Hello,
I spent a month one day in Texas driving across the state (the day after New Year's Day - 1985) through some of the worst weather in history.
12" of what the local radio stations called "white mud" in Abilene, 3" in Dallas/Arlington.

Most people will not get out now to bring a car in for repair. Can't blame them. I'd advise them not to get out
Excellent advice!
A little snow in Texas (based on my experience) can be deadly.
Thankfully - when I was there for the snow - it turned into a lot of snow, and I had the roads to myself.

Far worse than the snow (white mud) though, was the black ice.
I pulled out of Abilene at about 4:00am. I stopped for breakfast in Sweetwater at about 6:00am:eek:. (~ 40 miles). The 12" of snow had dimished to about 6" there, and was just about gone by Roscoe.
From Roscoe to Midland it was mile after mile after mile of black ice.
When I hit Midland, the black ice was about gone - the temperature had gotten up to about 32*. By Pecos, the roads were just wet to semi dry.
Until I hit the mountains of west Texas.
Then the black ice came back. Right around where I 20 and I 10 come together there's this bridge that spans two peaks.
Traffic was backed up for a couple of miles. People were taking turns going on at a time across the two lane bridge - one lane in each direction.

About my time at the front of the line, 5 or 6 vehicles in front of me - a family in a van pulling a trailer started out across the bridge. They got almost half way, when the wind hit them broadside and the whole rig started to spin out of control. It slammed into the side of the bridge - and the trailer jumped the rail. The whole rig - van/trailer & all the passengers - just slid over the rail and dropped.:eek: (something like 1000' to the bottom).
Traffic just kept going - one at a time - like nothing had happened.
Which, when you think about it, there wasn't anything that could be done anyhow.

mark page
03-07-2008, 9:16 AM
Jim, I think you sneezed and blew it this way! Listening to the #1 weatherman we were supposed to have a slight dusting at 4:00pm today. Well it's 8:15am and snowing like a banshee outside. Guess it's time to change weather station channels, lol!

Doug Shepard
03-07-2008, 9:34 AM
Snowing in Texas!

Why should we have all the fun? Enjoy it:p

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Before anybody gets to whipping those who live in the south for a lack of snow driving skills....consider this.......

Every year.......the first snow storm of the year..........in our area it's the busiest day of the year for police responding to automobile accidents......weather related of course!

So while some of our southern friends may not have developed the driving skills for snow covered roads......

The cold here apparently effects long term memory retention and we have to be reminded to "SLOW DOWN DUMMY" annually......:o

Richard M. Wolfe
03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
As far as snow in Texas: Where I am (about 60 miles southwest of Fort Worth) an old time weatherman for Channel 5 used to say if he forcasted that it would never snow in our part of Texas he would be wrong once a year, because on the average that's how often it snows here. I grew up in this part of the state - most snow I've ever seen was about ten inches and the coldest it's been here in town was -7.

Other parts of the state....well, you pick the part. Up in the Panhandle they can have snow on the ground for weeks at a time...it's about as far north there as mid-Arkansas or Tennessee.

There is usually ice on the roads once a year or so. I've never had trouble driving on what I've had to drive on - luck and maybe a smidgen of common sense. I stay off it if I can and if I have to I try to stay well clear of all other vehicles....probably doing them as much of a favor as myself :rolleyes:. A 3/4 ton dually took out about 100 ft of pipe fence just up the road yesterday, and I was told the idiot was doing about 70 at the time. It seems to me that people who have a bigger than average vehicle don't seem to think 'slick' applies to them.

Kyle Kraft
03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Being from the northlands, I always get a kick out of how a little snow can wreak so much havoc upon those who are not regularly blessed by its presence.:D By the same token y'all would probably laugh at me trying to drive through a dust storm or a tornado or a herd of locusts.

Jerome Hanby
03-07-2008, 1:23 PM
We may get some snow in Birmingham, AL. I'm not positive, but I think that violates several local ordinances and maybe an international treaty!

Jim O'Dell
03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
No, I think that it is very true that people here can't drive on anything slick. Even last weekend with the rain, first true rain in weeks, there were 3 wrecks we saw within 5 miles of the house, 2 of them major with about 12 emergency vehicles between them, and at different parts of the same intersection. The other was just a fender bender. People in Texas don't understand that they don't always have perfect grip on the road. Driving 70 on this stuff is normal for them, until they end up in the ditch, sideways on a bridge, or wiping out that fence. And for those that aren't familiar with Texas pipe fence, it is made from used drill stem! Pretty stout stuff!! So Ken, the whipping is justified around here...maybe just for a refresher course each year in your locale. :D Jim.

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Well Jim....it was sure purdy snow....even snowed most of the day, but none of it stuck. Just wet and muddy now. I sure wish we could have some snow like them northern folks do. :)

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Being from the northlands, I always get a kick out of how a little snow can wreak so much havoc upon those who are not regularly blessed by its presence.:D By the same token y'all would probably laugh at me trying to drive through a dust storm or a tornado or a herd of locusts.

Well Kyle...if you send us some snow....I PROMISE to NOT send a tornado your way. :p :p :D

Dust storm? Just hold your breath or take out your hanky and breathe as best you can through it.

Tornado? Don't drive in a tornado. Find a ditch or the lowest ground where you are and get in it if a tornado is coming for ya. A car is NOT a safe place in a tornado.

Heard of Locust? Catch all you can. Makes for some good fish bait. :D

David G Baker
03-08-2008, 9:20 AM
I have been lucky lately, the last several serious storms have missed me here in Mid Michigan. I still have around 18 inches on the ground in many areas that are shaded. It has been pretty cold overnight so the snow melt has slowed down and a hard crust is covering it. Guess we are lucky, we get a few tornadoes and snow.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2008, 9:36 AM
No, I think that it is very true that people here can't drive on anything slick. Even last weekend with the rain, first true rain in weeks, there were 3 wrecks we saw within 5 miles of the house, 2 of them major with about 12 emergency vehicles between them, and at different parts of the same intersection. The other was just a fender bender. People in Texas don't understand that they don't always have perfect grip on the road. Driving 70 on this stuff is normal for them, until they end up in the ditch, sideways on a bridge, or wiping out that fence. And for those that aren't familiar with Texas pipe fence, it is made from used drill stem! Pretty stout stuff!! So Ken, the whipping is justified around here...maybe just for a refresher course each year in your locale. :D Jim.

Jim and Dennis,

I was stationed at NAS Meridian MS from Dec of 1970 through Dec 1974. I worked air traffic control maintenance and we worked 24 on and 48 off. Being a young family man, on my days off I always had a part time job. One of those jobs I worked in the warehouse at the local Sears. One winter we actually had snow there. This store was huge but the day of the snow .....maybe 3/8" of snow only about 8 people showed up including 1 manager. I was the only one that worked in the warehouse that showed up that day. So the manager came around said at 0930 close the doors and we'll shut down the store for a few minutes so everyone can take a break.....for lunch he would come around and relieve everyone...one person at a time. So at 0930, I closed the doors to the warehouse and went to the coffee shop there in the store. One furniture salesman that made it in that day said and I quote "I don't know how you damned Yankees do it?..."What's that?" was my reply. "Drive in this stuff...I was doing 70 mph this morning.....got to the bridge.....turned around twice as I skidded across that bridge." I chuckled....."We damned Yankees don't drive 70 mph when the weather is like this!"

Lee Koepke
03-08-2008, 9:42 AM
snowing in GEORGIA.

lets see ... last weekend i was laying in my hammock frying fish. yesterday it was 65. today .... snow.

:eek:

Belinda Barfield
03-08-2008, 9:47 AM
snowing in GEORGIA.

lets see ... last weekend i was laying in my hammock frying fish. yesterday it was 65. today .... snow.

:eek:

I'm with you on this one Lee. Last Saturday I was laying by the pool. Today the temp is in the 50s and we are under a strong wind advisory here on the coast. The wind is steady at 25 to 35 with gusts up to 50.

Hope all you folks thaw out soon!

James Suzda
03-08-2008, 9:58 AM
I'm sure these people feel your pain!
http://www.pasty.com/snow/

Lee Koepke
03-08-2008, 9:59 AM
I'm with you on this one Lee. Last Saturday I was laying by the pool. Today the temp is in the 50s and we are under a strong wind advisory here on the coast. The wind is steady at 25 to 35 with gusts up to 50.

Hope all you folks thaw out soon!
its supposed to be in upper 50s tomorrow ... today is a lazy day around the house doing the 'flu recovery' thing.

be safe.

PS .. Savannah is pretty nice. We did some work in that area last year, so I spent alot of time between Pooler and Ft Stewart, yet only ONE trip into Sav town .... I want to go back and ENJOY my time, instead of working.