PDA

View Full Version : Roof replacement

Tony Sade
03-16-2004, 5:37 PM
The two leaks I discovered this morning have convinced me to replace the roof, which is only about 18yrs old. Having never done this before, I looking for some idea about what I should look forward ;>) to paying.

It's a pretty simple roof-not too steep; main section has a ridge vent, an attic fan,one stove and two bathroom vents, and one wood framed chimney; and two smaller areas over an attached garage and the living room. Nothing else unusual to speak of-no valleys or other difficult cuts, structurally sound (as near as I can tell). I'm thinking either 25 or 30 year asphalt shingles-in kind of peanut butter brown color-what's on there now.

Labor rates here in WV are fairly modest from what I can tell. House is roughly 2300 sf. Any rough guesses about what I'm looking at both in terms of per square costs for labor and materials?

There goes the new computer and the summer vacation. Better now than when the oldest starts college in two years, I guess. TIA, Tony

Dick Parr
03-16-2004, 5:53 PM
Just got mine done last week. My house is about 1600 sqft but it is about 24' x 80' long with a 6/12 pitch and 18" over hangs. The labor was about $2000 and the materials cost me about $1400. That included 7 rolls of felt, 30 square of 25 year shingles and 80' of ridge vent. The labor included the nails for there air guns. They started at 11:30 am and were done by 6:30 pm. There were 7 of them up on the roof going at it. The did a great job and knew what they were doing.

I will stay dry for a while longer now. :p

I also had two leaks. One we never did find and one was from a bullet. Looked like the size of a .45. The that found it says he see's this all the time. New years and the 4th of july bring out some crazys and they dont' buy fire crackers they just bring out the guns and fire them off. They have to land somewhere! Isn't that fun to think about all the time. :mad:

Good luck with yours.

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2004, 6:01 PM
Around here...and that size....between $2300 and $3000 for removing the old roofing, new felt, shingles and cleanup. This is on 8/12 pitch roof. The steeper the pitch....the higher labor will cost.

Tony Sade
03-16-2004, 6:12 PM
Just what I was looking for. Just think what kind of toys that money could buy! Sigh!

Ray Thompson
03-16-2004, 8:05 PM
You should be able to find crews that work between $55 and $75 per square if it is a one layer roof (includes material). If you have a tear off then the cost will be in the neighborhood of $135 per square. Need to add sheeting? Add about $60 per square. Of course your region will vary but you should be able to use this as a guideline. Ray

Tony Sade
03-16-2004, 9:24 PM
'preciate it. I think I just came up with a summer job for my 16 year old. Won't he be surprised!

Dick Parr
03-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Tony, I forgot that mine included removing the old and hauling it away also

Joe Suelter
03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
We had ours done last spring. We had 3 layers, so a complete tear-off was in order. If I remember correctly we had about 19 squares. We paid $3800 and that included 30 year shingles, water barrier up 12" from edge, felt, ridge vents, new vented soffits, and new gutters...and the misc. junk that goes with it..nails, drip edge, etc..... The 6 man crew started at 7:00 sharp and were done by 6:00 the same day! Make sure whoever does it that they run a magnet over your yard! Nails in lawn tractor tires dont fair well when the yard needs mowed!!!! Our roof is a 12/12 pitch, very steep..I was up there looking at it at some wood-rot at lunch that day..scared the hell out of me just being up there, and I work on telephone poles everyday! Good luck with your new found project! p.s....check the archives, I asked some questions like this too here before getting mine done.

Pat Salter
03-16-2004, 11:52 PM
As you can tell from the responses, differant parts of the country require differant stuff, also are you going to remove everything first or can you just add another layer. that's another local code thing to find out. Also shingles, shakes, tiles, differant roof types will make a differance. Also, any dry rot?

We did ours about 4 years ago. Had two rooms that were add ons with flat roofs, I went up and pitched them to match the rest of the house. We already had 3 layers of shingles on the rest of the house so we had to strip it. We got off cheap though because I have a few friends that came over and helped. But now we're good for 25 or 30 years. I don't remember what it cost. I think about 4k but that's with the lumber for over the two rooms.

get a bunch of quotes (3 at least).

Tony Sade
03-17-2004, 6:11 AM
I appreciate all the information. I'll be looking for some quotes just as soon as I can get some recommendations on reputable roofing contractors. Have a great day.

Joe Suelter
03-17-2004, 7:44 PM
I appreciate all the information. I'll be looking for some quotes just as soon as I can get some recommendations on reputable roofing contractors. Have a great day.
Like Pat said, get a BUNCH of quotes in writing. Ask exactly what they will be doing, right down to the nails they use. I'm serious. You'll be amazed at the price difference. The cheaper isn't always better, and neither is the most expensive. We went with the middle of the pack with ours, Also, check with the B.B.B. to see if they have any info on them...that is a MUST! There are so so so many rip-off roofing comapnies out there, check them out even if they are a big company. The company we went with went belly-up 4 months after they did ours, I was fuming mad, but there is nothing I can do about it, luckily we had no leaks after the first year! Also, ask each and every company about insurance, just in case on of them falls off your roof, and ask for a copy of their policy. This may sound silly, but it could happen, most companies hire cheap labor, and most don't provide any insurance to them, so be careful. This happened to my neighbor a number of years back, a roofer fell off his roof and broke his back, and the comapny had little or no insurance.