PDA

View Full Version : wood sealer and DNA

curtis rosche
03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
i just got a lot of wet apple burls what is the best/ cheapest thing to seal the ends?

also about DNA where is the best place to get it what does it cost how much to get whats it called in the store and whats the best way to use it to dry wood out?

Ted Calver
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Expense aside, I buy Anchorseal for sealing and get my denatured alcohol at lowe's in a gallon can.

curtis rosche
03-06-2008, 1:28 PM
whats a cheap one are there any differences because i have a lot of green wood and if theres not much difference theres no need to spend extra

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2008, 1:38 PM
Curtis,

Buying DNA is much cheaper when you buy a 5 gallon can at your local hardware or auto parts supply house.

Anchorseal goes a long way and does a very fine job. If you are in short order for sealing those apple pieces? The use parafin wax and melt it over each end piece. Works well and is realtively cheap. A lot of exotic turning blanks that are shipped in come covered in wax. :)

Brian McInturff
03-06-2008, 7:31 PM
I've heard of people wrapping the blanks in shrink wrap. I've never tried it though.

Ben Gastfriend
03-06-2008, 8:23 PM
I get my DNA at Lowe's, and it cost me $14.95 a gallon. It seems like it burns a hole in your pocket, but it's definitely well worth it.

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2008, 9:47 PM
I've heard of people wrapping the blanks in shrink wrap. I've never tried it though.

Yup...I've done that as well. You can get some pretty slimmy bowl blanks that way after they get all covered with mold and stuff....but under all that can be some awesome color!!! :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Curtis you will find green wood sealer at most supply places. CSUSA, Packard Woodworks, etc. It runs about $15 or $16 a gallon. DNA I get at most any lumber yard or hardware store from $13 to $15 a gallon. It is cheaper per gallon in 5 gallon cans.

David Wilhelm
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Curtis I keep my wax in an old deep fryer, I plu g it in let it melt and dip my ends. what doesnt' fit i paint with several coats of latex paint. Latex paint i get free. guy at the land fill has to mix quick dry in it to make it a solid. so i asked him to save me some and I gave him something I turned. lil bartering and trading goes a long way. family owned businesses is where i got my DNA 5 Gal sunny side like the guys here use. Owner has a wife. Wife has a bowl, Will has 5 Gals of DNA :)

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Curtis I keep my wax in an old deep fryer, I plu g it in let it melt and dip my ends. what doesnt' fit i paint with several coats of latex paint. Latex paint i get free. guy at the land fill has to mix quick dry in it to make it a solid. so i asked him to save me some and I gave him something I turned. lil bartering and trading goes a long way. family owned businesses is where i got my DNA 5 Gal sunny side like the guys here use. Owner has a wife. Wife has a bowl, Will has 5 Gals of DNA :)

Oh yea....my favorite kind of trading......barter. :D

Jason Christenson
03-07-2008, 9:23 AM
DNA I get at most any lumber yard or hardware store from $13 to $15 a gallon.

Do you have Menards down there?

Jason

curtis rosche
03-07-2008, 10:44 AM
found a local place to get it they sell it by the ounce quart and gallon. question i have this huge cherry blank can i take the whole blank put it in a vacum bag with the dna seal it but with a little air still in it , or do i have to turn it first to make it work?

the blank is 5.5 thick and 18inches round the outer side is curved i had been working at it with a hammer and chisel (hit the chisel so much the end actually melted and becames very very soft) the peice is from a huge cherry tree that fell over in a hurricane remains like 3-4 years ago it was 3ft across and it was in the middle of the woods why it fell is still a mystry to us....... we wanted to get it lumbered but had no way to get it out so half of it went to firewood and the other half is drying this peice is the outside peice beutiful grain realy tight and yet some how after being split off the main log 1.5 years ago its still wet i dont know if this will make any difference as to weather itll work or not

Roger Wilson
03-07-2008, 8:00 PM
Does anyone use shellac, like Zinsser Seal Coat, instead of anchorseal or latex paint. It would seem to be a lot less messy and easier to remove when you want to turn.

Darryl Hansen
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Curtis Cherry seems to retain is moisture for quite some time. DNA works best when the bowl has been hollowed and turned to 10% or so of the final size. I have some cherry that came down in Isabel and it is still moist like yours.

David Wilhelm
03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Roger when i use paint, I use it only on log block half pieces that i can't fit into my wax pot. Messy?? Perhaps I'm not trying to paint a house when I do it and I just mop it on. My paint is free, I keep it stored upside down and the lip is puctured for draining. Remove the lid stir a few times and have at it. Let it drip on the ground and recoat a few times. If it's raining I can do it inside over cardboard but if it's raing chances are i'm not gonna be working up stock. I don't turn the paint off the chain saw does this when I get ready for a bowl blank or what have you. Sealed wood goes on a rack in the barn. The rack sit on bricks and the ground around the bricks has been trenched and treated with several gallons of bifenthrin. EOS

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2008, 4:11 PM
Roger,

It's cheaper and easier just to put melted parafin wax on as your sealer. Shellac will get rather expensive if you have very much to try and seal. Besides, shellac doesn't like water very much. :)

curtis rosche
03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
the tree had to be atleast 200 years old its got great grain i will rough it before i soak it i just figure its easier to use a little bit of dna in a tight bag than fill a 20 gallon bucket with $16 dna