PDA

View Full Version : Imprinted softballs

Uma Duffy
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I have a pretty good business doing sublimation, diamond drag engraving and epilog lasering and I like to sub out other types of work. One of our best customers wants to get between 2-4 dozen imprinted softballs for opening day. So far he only wants text, no logo- presumably one color. The PhotoBall process seems hugely expensive at $20-25/ball. Do any of you pad print them or have a special press to sublimate? If so, please pm me so I can get an idea of cost and turnaround time and present the info to my customer.

I might try lasering them...but the curvature seems a little daunting. Any advice?

Joe Pelonio
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Checking some suppliers I see that you can get 100 baseballs, imprinted for about $5 each plus a $30 or so die charge, at places like these:

http://www.4imprint.com/

http://www.customimprintingllc.com/item_choose.cfm?ProductCategoryName=Baseball%20%26 %20Softball%20Products&MasterCategoryGUID=7f4c59be-6226-11d4-8976-00105a7027aa&listing=ProductCategory&ClearListOrder=true&CatalogGUID=18f2680e%2D6d0f%2D4d9f%2Dbe23%2Da5777c d3112d

Hot stamping is probably the best way to go but then the smallest machines are about $1,500. You can get set up to screen print them for a lot less but the ink will wear off when the balls are used.

Uma Duffy
03-06-2008, 4:49 PM
Thank you, Joe! These look like good possibilities....I just have to convince my customer he'll need to order 100 minimum. ;)

That really isn't a bad minimum, though...most places I was looking at had a 200 pc min !

Mike Null
03-06-2008, 8:21 PM
I would consider pad printing. You'll still have to pay for a plate but the cost is low. (golf balls are marked with pad printing)

Frank Defert
03-06-2008, 8:33 PM
Hi Uma,

I laser engrave both leather baseballs and softballs for various leagues in my area. I have done both text, for players names and dates as well as team and league logos. They have been very well received because they are very specific to the team or league and the quantity can be lower making them affordable.

All I do is use a jig (a mason jar) to orientate and support the ball and laser away. You are right about the limits of the engraveable area but I am able to work in a circle of 1.25in and stay in focus with great results. Use higer speed and lower power settings with multiple passes to achieve the look you are after. To practice and for some samples I use a plain dollar store ball. On a white ball the lasering appears as a golden brown image, very nice.

Lasering a baseball is like branding a cow after the fact....:D

Frank

Thad Nickoley
03-07-2008, 1:20 AM
I have done some softballs with great succes using the rotary attachement,