PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnails in CorelDraw X4 still MIA

Duane Parcells
03-06-2008, 9:44 AM
I've been watching Corel forums for a fix for this but it is still not fixed. The thumbnails only work in the startup screen in X4. There are no thumbnails in the preview screen in Explorer. All other thumbnails work fine, eg. jpg, bmp, pdf, eps, etc. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Coreldraw extension in add and remove programs with no luck.
Also, is there a way to increase the number of thumbnails in the startup screen beyond the four or five default (last opened) listings. This would at least help the blindness a little.
I use to use Thumbnails 7.0 to view all the thumbnails of my CDR's but the X4 version shows just the cdr icon. This is enough to force me back to X3 if a fix isn't found soon. Shame because the Centerline trace in X4 is worth every penny to upgrade.
Thanks for any suggestions
Duane

Robert Ray
03-06-2008, 3:37 PM
A possible workaround if you still have X3 installed...

Right click on a .cdr file, then select 'Open With" and choose the X3 version of Corel. Then all your thumbnails will come back. You might need to Save as an X3 file when when you save your X4 files for the thumbnails to show.

-Robert

Bill Cunningham
03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
All my .cdr (ver. 12) thumbnails in windows explorer vanished with the sp2 upgrade :mad:

Duane Parcells
03-07-2008, 9:08 AM
Robert
Thank you for your suggestion. I used it to solve the one file I'm currently working on.
I still have X3 installed but with several hundred cdr's it is not going to work. I would have to open each one and resave in version X3. I just went through all of the forums I could find and each one has multiple people complaining about this problem with zero responses by Corel. I hear crickets everywhere! Why? One of the highlights about X4 was the clearer sharper thumbnails. Rant over.

Bill Cunningham
03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure the problem is in Corel.. Like i said above, all mine vanished with the SP2 upgrade to Windows XP . Prior to the upgrade I could always see the thumbnails in windows explorer, now I only see them in the preview window 'in' coreldraw

Duane Parcells
03-08-2008, 1:36 PM
Thanks Bill
Interesting.... I just did a search of Microsoft's knowledge base and they don't list much at all for the preview pane. "Preview not available" brought the most results. I only searched the Vista portion and the closest I came was some chipsets don't get along with the preview pane while running Windows movie maker. Will dig a little deeper later.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-31-2008, 9:32 AM
Duane,

Did you ever find an answer to this? I have been checking around on some of the sites I use, hoping to find the answer on one you might have missed, but I have had no luck.

Thanks

Rodne Gold
05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Download a program called romcat.
google Romcat or google search romcat.zip or romcat.exe
The other option is to download Xnview as a cdr viewer.

Duane Parcells
05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I check forums and Microsoft every few weeks and there hasn't been any word. I still see others having the same problem and others who don't.
"Preview not available" still brings the most hits. My preview pane works for everything but Coreldraw files. I have Romcat but it shouldn't be necessary. with X4's claims on tumbnails.
Duane

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-31-2008, 12:24 PM
What gets me, is that windows explorer shows the preview OK. I just keep windows explorer going and just drag what I want into Corel, works, but should not need to do "work arounds".
That is why I do not understand why X4 does not show the preview if windows can. (So far I do like Corel X4 better)

It is sad that it is getting so most software is that way anymore. I use "work arounds" daily on my laser...Embroidery software...Quick Book POS...now Corel.

Thanks...I'm done venting. (Hey, I do feel better)

Bill Cunningham
05-31-2008, 9:17 PM
when I upgraded to X4 from 12, all my thumbnails came back.. X4 is supposed to have enhanced thumbnails, and they look better in explorer than they used to.. There must be something hidden in X4 to toggle thumbnails.. Weird eh!

Rodne Gold
06-01-2008, 9:57 AM
I must say , i dont see either romcat or Xnview as workarounds as they both enhance corels limited ability to search for drawings and are both far quicker to display.
But I hear what you say ...instead of computer systems and integration being easier as time goes on , it all seems more complicated and nothing works properly right out the box.
With one hand Microsnot giveth and with the other they taketh away....... :)

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-01-2008, 11:45 AM
...instead of computer systems and integration being easier as time goes on , it all seems more complicated and nothing works properly right out the box...... :) A little background...I first started programming in the early 70's. Punch cards and all. I worked oneway or another programming for over 25 years. The number of "languages" I had to learn over time was endless. (Main frames, PC's, Robots, 5 axis machine centers, etc...)

It has been said computers make you life easier, I have always said, the more powerful computers and programs become, the more "people" have to know.

When I moved into management, within a few years I found it hard to step back to fill in for a sick worker in my old postion, technology had moved so fast. I really feel for the programers today.
But I still want it to work? (I know, I'm just dreaming this weekend, it will pass.)

Rodney: I just saw your tag line. When college students use to ask me what it was like programing a robots, I use to say, go hit your head on the wall until you pass out, when you wake up, just stand up and do it again, and just keep do it. When thy asked how long they should do this, I would just smile at them.

Rodne Gold
06-01-2008, 2:47 PM
Yeh, I have a B Sci Comp Sci i got in 1978. I only had a terminal in final year and prior to that used punch cards. I can clear a jammed reader with my eyes closed....
The sad thing is that nothing I learned at university re computers is at all relevant today........I have to employ a snotty nosed hormonally challenged pre-teen know it all condescending network guru to maintain my systems

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I worked with Tony from Corel for a few days now on a Corel Draw users group, CDUG, on Yahoo groups, and it looks like he has no answers at this time. If I find out any more I will share it here. ( I bet he is still working on it.)

Paul

Duane Parcells
06-03-2008, 5:53 PM
I see that Tony has been working with someone with the same problem on the yahoo Corel forum. Now at least someone knows about and acknowledges the problem. I saw one post somewhere that stated they think it is the fault of the video chipset in some machines. Hopefully more to come soon.
duane

Bill Cunningham
06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I've had computers at home, since I built my first Altair in the 70's and when ever any one asked the usual question back then, "Why do you have a computer at home"? My standard answer was "Because I clearly don't get enough aggravation at work"..

One bug I just found in X4 is powerclipping a photo into a container.. With all the other versions, you could use the grid tool to lay a mosaic tiles pattern over your photo, and powerclip it to the grid, break it apart, and engrave your tile.. X4 says the grid is not a valid object and won't power clip to it.. I have to do it in 8 or 12, then import it to X4

Duane Parcells
06-04-2008, 9:23 AM
Bill

Are you trying to use the table graph tool. I got that message (not valid object) when I tried by mistake to use the table tool. It looks almost exactly like the graph paper tool. X4 placed to table tool where the graph tool was physically.
Duane

Started with programmable calculators. Waited till the tandy 1000 and Comm64 to spend real money on a computer that wouldn't do much. Bring back the 8" floppy drive. I don't need no 4gig thumb drive

My Latin is a little rusty but is this it?

Oh see, Willie, see: there go forty buses in a row.
Oh no, Billy, they is trucks! What is in them? Cows and ducks.