PDA

View Full Version : A chuckle. The slightest woodworking connection

Wolf Kiessling
03-16-2004, 5:01 PM
This happened at a recent international Olympic trials during the hammer throw event.

A big German man, 6 ft tall and weighing about 240 pounds, grabbed the hammer, did three twirls and released it. It flew 132 ft. The judge was astounded. “My gosh”, he said, “that is a new world record. How did you ever throw that hammer so far?” The German contestant replied, “My grandfather was a blacksmith, my father was a blacksmith and I am a blacksmith. I spend all day swinging that hammer onto the anvil and this gives me great strength.”

The next contestant was a Russian, 6 ft 3 in and weighing in at 265 lbs. He took the hammer, twirled three times and released it for 156 feet. The judge couldn’t believe it. “That is a new world record again. How ever did you do that?” The Russian replied, “My grandfather was a woodworker, my father was a woodworker and I am a woodworker. I swing a hammer all day long and this makes me very strong. That’s how I did it.”

Next comes the American contestant, 5 ft 8 in weighing 135 pounds. He took up the hammer, twirled three times and threw it for 172 feet. Again, the judge was absolutely amazed. He said, “You are such a small man, how did you ever throw that hammer so far and manage to come up with a third world record in one day?” The American replied, “My grandfather was a civil servant, my father was a civil servant and I am a civil servant. When I first got into the civil service my father told me, “Son, if you ever get a tool in your hand, throw it away just as far as you can or you might have to do some work.””

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 5:07 PM
hahahahha...chortle, chortle....haehheheheheheeee

:D

Ed Falis
03-16-2004, 5:08 PM
Beautiful!

Thanks for a good laugh.

- Ed

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2004, 5:54 PM
That's too funny..!!!!

BUT....I used to work with a lot of those folks.....and many didn't hesitate to tell you that they were there to fill a slot, not work. Some folks are funny when it comes to working for a living. ;)

Terry Quiram
03-16-2004, 6:16 PM
Wolfe

Outstanding! That one is going to work with me in the morning. I expected the civil servant to be so strong from slinging a lot of bull on a daily basis.

Terry

Ron Jones near Indy
03-16-2004, 7:31 PM
Thanks Wolf! :D

Pat Salter
03-16-2004, 11:35 PM
I am a civil servant.

I am a civil servant who does carpenty.

I do not think that is funny.

I think it's HILARIOUS! Gonna send it to all my co-workers (or should I say co-civil servants?) Thanks Wolf.

Glenn Clabo
03-17-2004, 7:04 AM
grab all the tools they can and work their tails off...:D And all you tax payers should be proud of them...

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/newstand/re.aspx?reIDx=4DB988CD-6CD0-478A-88B6-BDA582839983

Wolf Kiessling
03-17-2004, 9:26 AM
That joke was sent to me by one of my brothers, who lives in Heidelberg, Germany. It was written in German and the civil servant in question was also German. Since I had to go to all the trouble to translate it, it was I that decided to made the little guy an American.

However, in my opinion, it's funny no matter the nationality of the civil service worker.