PDA

View Full Version : Old Iron Shaper - worth it?

Scott Haddix
03-06-2008, 8:26 AM
I've run across a Crescent/Rockwell shaper for sale for $1250 asking price that appears to be in good shape and has been described as 'in near new condition', which is amazing for a machine that is from the mid 40's as near as I can tell.

I'm trying to get more details on it, but so far all I know is it runs on 220. Don't know size of the motor.

I'm attaching a picture.

I've only bought new tools before, but hear a lot of favorable comments on old iron. Biggest concern is parts if something goes wrong.

So...buy old or buy new? And is $1250 high for a machine like this? Appreciate your feedback.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-06-2008, 9:00 AM
It's probably a nice machine.
Bearings will be inch standard that you can get off the shelf.

You need to be sure the spindle is what you want - tooling is pricey and will quickly outstrip the cost of the machine.

For that money: The motor better be strong enough to bury a big cutter in work without slowing. Those motors have replaceable bearings and brushes. The commutators can be re cut several times and it's a job you can do by hand with a hack saw.

I probably wouldn't buy it not at that price. I'd prefer to spend more and get a modern one with a tilt head and a big motor.
But if you are an old iron fan~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jeff Duncan
03-06-2008, 9:18 AM
I'm a big fan of old iron, but mostly the industrial stuff. That looks like a lighter duty unit and I'd agree that that's a bit pricey for an older shaper. For comparison I have 3 shapers, a Delta 3hp several years old I bought w/ the powerfeeder for less than that price. Also a Powermatic 5hp unit bought brand new for $1500, and an Industrial 3hp tilting spindle also bought with a powerfeeder and about 1k worth of cutters for $2k.
In short if you have a little patience and keep your eyes open you'll likely find a better deal. Also if you have the ability to run 3 phase equipment then you can really get some nice stuff.
good luck,
JeffD

Mike Wilkins
03-06-2008, 9:19 AM
Considering the cost of a new shaper with 2 spindles, I would pass on this one. Old iron is nice, but when the cost of an older machine get near the cost of a newer equivalent machine, I would look at something modern.
Newer machines in the 3 horse range sell around $1400-1500.
If you have no problem with off-shore goods, Grizzly sells a 3 horse shaper for under a grand.

Scott Haddix
03-06-2008, 9:26 AM
I appreciate the insight. I think I'll take your collective advice and look for a newer machine. I'm in no hurry, so I can be very patient and wait for a better opportunity to come around, either a great sale or a good price on a used one.