PDA

View Full Version : Felder Update...

Todd Burch
03-16-2004, 4:12 PM
Well, just talked with my new sales rep @ Felder. The machines I ordered left Austria 2 weeks ago and should arrive Delaware in 3 weeks. Looks like I'll need to get humping on the 3-phase power end of the equation pretty soon. And, some machine/cabinet rearranging too.

The machines that are ordered are a 20" combo jointer/planer (AD751), a 4 wheel, variable speed stock feeder, a horizontal slot mortiser (SD250) and a 5.5HP dust collector (RL160).

I'm purchasing a slightly used (1997) 3-phase rotary converter for $750 from a friend. New it would have cost over $2500.

Also, I'm working a horizontal edge sander into the mix too. I was REALLY looking hard at the Powermatic 9" x 138" sander for $3600, but Grizzly now has essentially the same unit for under $2600. Sooooo, that may be my first purchase with the big bear.

Dick Parr
03-16-2004, 4:28 PM
Boy oh boy Todd, with all that heavy equipment coming in, you won't be able to afford to retire until your 80. :D

Donnie Raines
03-16-2004, 4:30 PM
A friend of mine has that jointer/planer combo....awesome! He has the 14/12/10 inch table saw/shaper/and something else....awesome.

he is looking to sell the saw

DonnieR

John Weber
03-16-2004, 4:32 PM
Todd,

Congrats on your new toys. I can't wait to see the pics, but Felder and Grizzly in the same shop, that is a combination. As for sanders, have you looked into a Ritter/Crouch, US built and several models to choose. I let a Crouch go several years ago and I'm still kicking myself - they are wonderful machines.

John

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 4:55 PM
I need a good tool fix, Todd...hurry and get your toys!

Whatcha gonna build first??!! :D

Jim Becker
03-16-2004, 5:17 PM
That's good news that your stuff is getting "closer", Todd. 'Good thing it's too big for my shop or I'd highjack it as it passes just south of me! :D

I'm curious about how you're going to rearrange the shop...perhaps you have a 3-D SketchUp sketch in the works? hee hee

Chris Pasko
03-16-2004, 5:32 PM
Todd that is awesome man! LMK how you like that jointer/planer!

I have been considering selling my mm cu300 smart, and getting the same jointer/planer you have and a saw/shaper combo after visiting the Felder showroom last week. Man them things are sweet!

-Chris

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 5:54 PM
Yo, Chris, use the damn thing first!! :D poke, poke, poke....

Seriously, you have deleriously nice equipment already...now go hone your skills! :D :D

Waymon Campbell
03-16-2004, 9:09 PM
Todd - Give me a holler when they come in and I'll give you a hand moving them in. I am envious. Your going to have to make some serious room in your shop. I feel a sale coming on...

markus shaffer
03-16-2004, 9:26 PM
Todd,

I had my AD751 delivered back in December. So far I have been really amazed with it.. Last week I added a power feeder to the jointer and on Sunday I ran about thirty 10 foot long mahogany boards through it.. I can say that it's really amazing to watch a 16 inch wide 8/4 board go through the jointer with no effort except for my initial push to get it under the feeder wheels. Talk about an aircraft carrier.. I had originally planned to get one of the 741 models.. I was going to get one of the newer style machines.. But the AD with the cost of a KF saw/shaper pretty much decimated my savings account. When I went to the showroom in Delaware, they had the older style AD machine on the floor. Turned out the older 751 was cheaper than a newer 741.. While I certainly didn't need a twenty inch machine, the cost difference was siginificant enough that I took the older style. With the addition of the power feeder I added and numerous other accesories, Felder has definately made back what I hoped to save on going with last year's model.. All that aside, the machine is pretty awesome.. You're not going to regret buying this machine. If only I could sell my Powermatic planer now..

-Markus

Tom Sweeney
03-17-2004, 1:02 PM
Delaware eh - Hmm that's just 20 minutes from here - I wonder if I could run down, convince them I'm you & I decided to pick them up instead of waiting for shipping :D

Nah - never work - they'd start asking me lots of questions about how you make your beautiful built-ins & I wouldn't have a clue how to answer & the jig would be up :rolleyes:

Oh well - enjoy the new toys -I'm sure they'll make your workday go much smoother & will hopefully pay for themselves in no time.

Michael Perata
03-17-2004, 1:06 PM
I have been considering selling my mm cu300 smart, and getting the same jointer/planer you have and a saw/shaper combo after visiting the Felder showroom last week. Man them things are sweet!

-Chris
Chris

I have a CU300S and thought I did my homework when I opted for the MiniMax over the Felder. What is making you change your mind?

Richard McComas
03-17-2004, 5:52 PM
Well, just talked with my new sales rep @ Felder. The machines I ordered left Austria 2 weeks ago and should arrive Delaware in 3 weeks. Looks like I'll need to get humping on the 3-phase power end of the equation pretty soon. And, some machine/cabinet rearranging too.

The machines that are ordered are a 20" combo jointer/planer (AD751), a 4 wheel, variable speed stock feeder, a horizontal slot mortiser (SD250) and a 5.5HP dust collector (RL160).

I'm purchasing a slightly used (1997) 3-phase rotary converter for $750 from a friend. New it would have cost over $2500.

Also, I'm working a horizontal edge sander into the mix too. I was REALLY looking hard at the Powermatic 9" x 138" sander for $3600, but Grizzly now has essentially the same unit for under $2600. Sooooo, that may be my first purchase with the big bear.

Congratulations Todd. You going to be very happy with your purchase. I have the AD-741 (16"model, wish I had went for the AD-751 now) and the Saw Shaper combo.

If you haven't joined the Felder's Owner's Group (FOG) yet you really should. Theres a wealth of information there. The membership has a whole host of talented people that are very knowable of the workings of the Felder's equipment. Lots of files to help with adjustment to about anything you need to know. One of Felder's weak points is there machine manuals stink, the FOG will fill the gap.

John Renzetti
03-18-2004, 4:56 PM
[QUOTE=Todd Burch]Well, just talked with my new sales rep @ Felder. The machines I ordered left Austria 2 weeks ago and should arrive Delaware in 3 weeks.

hi Todd, Just checked in and saw your post. That's great news. I have the AD751 and it's great. You're going to love the capacity and the cut from that big cutterhead.
Are you on the FOG. Let me know if you need some info on signing up.
Take care,
John