PDA

View Full Version : In need of CNC Router.

Tim Wood
03-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I am looking for someone with a large enough CNC to do some work for me. I build custom Texas Holdem Poker Tables and I need someone that can cut a full sheet of plywood on a CNC Router. I am in Caro, MI which is in the thumb area of Michigan. If there is anyone that can help me or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Joe Chritz
03-06-2008, 4:46 AM
I've done a few oval tables at 8 foot. I attached a pic of one I did using a template.

Are you doing racetrack tables, solid wood or what? If you are doing oval tables with a foam rail you are farther ahead making a template and using a saw and flush router bit.

Ractrack tables need a very accurate cut that is thin. I was going to do one on the CNC I have access to but it would take a long time using a 1/8 bit to avoid breakage.

Nice thing about a template is you only need one for each table width. Rip the ply to width, draw a cut line, rough cut with a jig saw, attach the template and flush trim. Takes me less than 30 minutes to do the rough cuts for a top, including rail.

A 4x8 CNC router is a pretty big machine.

Joe

Keith Outten
03-06-2008, 5:53 AM
I am looking for someone with a large enough CNC to do some work for me. I build custom Texas Holdem Poker Tables and I need someone that can cut a full sheet of plywood on a CNC Router. I am in Caro, MI which is in the thumb area of Michigan. If there is anyone that can help me or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Tim,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/engravers.php

Click on the link above, there may be someone close to you on our Engravers and CNC List.

Another option is to visit the ShopBot Forum if you don't find anyone here close to your location. Our CNC group here at SawMill Creek is growing these days but we are still a small group at this point.

Good Luck

Tim Wood
03-06-2008, 7:11 AM
Joe,
I do build tables and they are 48"x96" ovals with racetracks, that is what I am needing a CNC for, because of the precision needed. I have a company cutting them now on a waterjet machine. But they are over an hour and a half away and the cost isnt very effecient. If you go to my website www.badbeatpokertables.com (http://www.badbeatpokertables.com) and click on the Photo Gallery you will see some of the tables I have done. The last 4 tables in the gallery were done using the waterjet to cut the tables. Do you have a picture of the templete you use or maybe point me in the right direction to finding one?

I have checked out the Shopbot website and that is deffinetly what I will be working to purchase sometime in the future, but right now Im just starting out and dont have the capital built up to afford the machine. I will check out the engravers section tho. Thanks

Keith Outten
03-06-2008, 7:29 AM
Tim,

Visit the ShopBot Forum, it is called Talk ShopBot. You can ask there if anyone in your area is willing to machine the tables for you...people generally get several responses to those kinds of requests.

Steve knight
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Tim,

Visit the ShopBot Forum, it is called Talk ShopBot. You can ask there if anyone in your area is willing to machine the tables for you...people generally get several responses to those kinds of requests.

that works well I would do it but shipping from Oregon may kill you (G)

Steve knight
03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
here is the link http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/board-topics.html

Michael Kowalczyk
03-06-2008, 2:08 PM
Hey Tim,
We have done tables like this before and have 2 CNC's that are plenty big enough to handle these. One is 5x8 and the other can be made into a 5x10. Depending on how many tables you are doing would determine how cost effective it would be for us to do them here in Houston, Texas. We have great discounts with many major LTL carriers. PM me your phone # and I'll call you to discuss the details. Thanks for posting.

Joe Chritz
03-08-2008, 4:46 AM
Depending on how many you want done at once will determine if it is worthwhile to farm it out or go some other route.

I like the look of the racetrack tables but haven't played on one to see if I like it or not. I played back before it was cool and was a dealer for several years.

For a non-race track table you would make one end of the table out of MDF or plywood and save it. For a 42" wide table it would be 42 wide by at least 24-30 long.

I think you could do the track by using a guided saw and a plunge router and I have toyed with the idea of making a template to use an 1/8 bit and a guide collar to cut out the inside of the oval. I may get back into doing some tables when I get the current projects finished.

I could do them on the machine I have access to but it is a farther drive for you and wouldn't be any savings unless you wanted a fair number done at once.

Joe