PDA

View Full Version : Firewood - NAHHHH (pics)

Fred Voorhees
03-16-2004, 3:04 PM
I was chopping up my annual load of firewood a few years ago and came across some excellent spalted maple. Sliced it up and dried it for a spell and then fooled around with some small boxes with it. A real shame that I didn't have more of it, since the spalting was fantastic.

The box mixing it with walnut was a gift for a freind. Nothing special, but it did give me a chance to experiment with some inlaying. The other box was out of a need for some kind of audio cassette tape storage in my Dodge Ram truck. I pretty much used up what was left of the maple with this project.

Tyler Howell
03-16-2004, 3:09 PM
Hubba Hubba!!

Too Cool Fred!

Fred Voorhees
03-16-2004, 3:55 PM
Forgot to add that both were finished with Minwax polyurethane.

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 4:37 PM
What Tyler said! :D

Roger Barga
03-16-2004, 4:39 PM
Very nice work. Say, do you mind if I come sort through your firewood pile ;-)

Eric Naessens
03-16-2004, 4:48 PM
Very nice, Fred! You weren't kidding - that spalting is fantastic. Thanks for posting the pics.

Fred Voorhees
03-16-2004, 4:55 PM
Very nice work. Say, do you mind if I come sort through your firewood pile ;-)

Well Rog - you can, but I'm afraid that it is mostly black locust right now. Don't think there's a speck of maple in the entire lot.

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 4:59 PM
Maybe some spalted black locust?? :D Could you even see spalt in black locust?? :confused:

Christopher Stahl
03-16-2004, 5:55 PM
Dang, there has been some cool posts lately of awesome woods. This is stunning.

chris

Richard Gillespie
03-16-2004, 6:06 PM
You know, 25 years ago I ran into splatted maple also. I was splitting firewood I was given for my new wood stove. I'd hate to tell you what happened to that wood.

It's amazing how dumb I was years ago. Begun to question how I survived this long.

Jeff Skory
03-16-2004, 8:01 PM
Fred, nice looking boxes.

How long did you have to dry the wood before you made boxes out of them? I assume you just stickered them and let them dry?

Terry Hatfield
03-16-2004, 9:02 PM
Fred,

WOW...that is really beautiful wood. I always pick through the firewood too. I saved a few really nice spalted pieces form this years supply. I haven't done anything with them yet, but if they are half as nice as that I will be tickled.

t

Rob Littleton
03-16-2004, 9:52 PM
Dang, that is beautiful.

I did a similar thing a few years back. I only got a small piece of this "stuff" and didnt have a clue what it was. It turned out to be Black Palm.

Kinda cool........

Fred Voorhees
03-17-2004, 6:29 PM
Fred, nice looking boxes.

How long did you have to dry the wood before you made boxes out of them? I assume you just stickered them and let them dry?

Jeff, you know, I'm not sure exactly how long I had it laying around the shop, though I would feel safe that it may have been at least a couple of months before I got around to doing something with it.

Jeff Skory
03-17-2004, 7:00 PM
Maybe once it warms up a little I'll check out those logs that have been sitting in the backyard for a year or two.