PDA

View Full Version : Need new switch

Sean Troy
03-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey all, I need to replace the switch I use to turn on/off my vaccum pump. It's inline ( and in a receptical box) mounted to the platform the pump is on and looks just like a regular light switch. The pump is 220V and plugged into a 20 amp 220v outlet. I'm not well versed in electrical. What do you call the switch I need ? Is it something like single pole double throw? See... I told you I know nothing about these things. Thanks for any help, Sean

Rob Will
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Sean,
Actually, you only have to switch one leg but switching both is fine. To switch both, the switch you need is a double pole single throw (four terminals). To switch only one leg, the switch you need is a single pole single throw (two terminals).

I would look inside and see if they are switching one leg or two.

Tri-State lighting in Evansville (Diamond Ave.) probably has a replacement (812) 826-0823 or Arc Electronics in Henderson (Second Street) 827-8981, or Galloway Electric (South Green) 826-1224 or Electric Motors (US 41) 826-4867. If it is simply a single pole switch, LOWES probably has a 20 amp version that will work.

If this is fairly heavy, it might be called a motor starter switch. In that case, Electric Motors is your best bet.

Rob

Tom Veatch
03-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I've also found double pole single throw (DPST) switches at the borg. Since you're switching an inductive load (electric motor) you should also consider the HP rating of the switch, not just the amperage. Although many folks have a little higher comfort level with switching both legs, it is only necessary to switch one of the legs.

Switching only one leg does place a higher premium on being sure that the breaker for the circuit is off before doing anything with the motor at a later date since the unswitched leg will be hot at the motor even with the switch turned off.

Sean Troy
03-06-2008, 9:19 AM
Thanks for the help. Thats on my to do list today.