PDA

View Full Version : HF vrs Jet

Robert foster
03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
What if any difference is there between the HF T34706 lathe and the Jet JWL-1236 lathe? They look the same. Anyone have any experience with them?

Bob

Lance Norris
03-06-2008, 1:48 AM
You might want to re-post this in the Turners Forum. I have the Jet 1236. I have looked at the HF look-a-like. The main thing I didnt like about the HF lathe is the center points didnt line up. I mean, not even close. The alignment on the Jet is perfect. This is the only thing I have to comment. I have read in the turners forum that the HF lathe is capable, and decent as a starter lathe.

Jim Becker
03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
There are slight differences between the two machines, but both are based on a very old spindle lathe design that has been around for, well...a long time. The HFT 34706 (which I did start turning on...) has some slight dimensional things, like the tool rest post is 25mm, rather than 1", and the motor is, perhaps, a bit lower quality. Both machines are extremely light weight relative to the stand...understandable since they are based on a spindle turning need, rather than the more common hobbyist activity of bowls and vessels. If I was forced to choose between them, unless it was a very well priced used machine, I'd probably do the HFT for this particular item 'cause you can sometimes buy it for about $170 on sale. The Jet, at this point, is way overpriced when compared to more current lathe designs including those from Jet. IMHO, of course.

I will add that I outgrew the HFT machine in just a few months. It just could not handle the kind of bowls and vessels I wanted to turn.