PDA

View Full Version : My shavings barrier...

Allen Neighbors
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
There was an earlier post titled Chip Barrier that I read, and got some good information from. Thanks, all!
This is a result, in my humble shop... it's a working shop, not a showplace.:D
I used frosted 70"x62" shower curtains (the clear ones weren't as large as these) from WalMart. I had some 1-1/2" long dowel rods left over from some long ago deal, which I used for the bottom weights, and I attached the curtain's top to these through the curtain-ring-grommets with washers and short drywall screws. I stapled the bottom of the curtain, thru lath, to the bottom of my truss to hang it. Then I used some 1/4" rope and some old window sash weight pulleys (3 per curtain) to roll them up out of the way. I overlapped the curtains, due to the area I was trying to keep clear... a little too much... so I'll have to move the left one a little more to the left.
Sort of a harum-skarum setup, but it works. Like my Mini-lathe Folgers Light?

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Great idea Allen. Looks like it will do the job.

robert hainstock
03-06-2008, 8:18 AM
Looks like a good solution to the problem. I would add that shower curtains are frequently left at the various trift stores. :)
Bob

Joseph Peacock
03-06-2008, 8:29 AM
Cool:cool:.... Good idia Mr.allen.;)

Hilel Salomon
03-06-2008, 9:20 AM
Hi,

Timing is everything. Yesterday, I spend some time hanging some chain from hooks around my basement/shop and attaching 3/4 inch pvc pipe to which I added shower curtains. Your setup is better, but not having read it until this morning, last night I went ahead and got more curtains to surround the lathe. It works and the curtains were at OddLots and cheap... but I still like your setup better.
Luck,
Hilel.