PDA

View Full Version : Make your own insert for SawStop?

Brian Penning
03-05-2008, 9:01 PM
Anyone made one? Tips or suggestions? How'd you make the slot for the riving knife?
Seems like it would be a good idea to close up that large opening behind the riving knife that's for the guard(still in it's package). Notice lot of dust comes up through the opening when I sometimes don't turn on the DC.

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2008, 9:17 PM
I have only used the factory one myself. An idea though - If you have a factory one, and only use the RK, put a piece of tape underneath to block the opening for the guard. I have not really apaid attention to that opening but I will check it out. I find I pretty much use the RK 100% of the time anymore.

Jon Todd
03-05-2008, 9:30 PM
I made a zero clearance insert for my Jet that has the Riving knife. I used an 8 inch Dado to start the groove and then Slowly turned the blade up through then I took it back out and put it down over the blade and moved the fence over and ripped it to a mark I made for the riving knife. Worked great on mine.

Roger Bull
03-07-2008, 5:32 PM
In the "Rough Cut Show" series of podcasts, Tommy uses a SawStop with a homemade zc insert. Good clear shots of it in the episode 6 "Tommy Demos Saw Stop".

Through iTunes or http://www.bobvila.com/RoughCutShow/Podcast_006.html

He also does not use the riving knife or the guard (bad Tommy). :p

-Roger

Mike Heidrick
03-07-2008, 5:54 PM
Wow, he really hacked the tip of his thumb off back in the day! Ouch!

Roger Bull
03-08-2008, 9:36 AM
Wow, he really hacked the tip of his thumb off back in the day! Ouch!

Yep, they should have given him a SawStop for that demo. Three guys talking about how good it is and how they could have avoided injuries. You can't ask for much better advertising.

-Roger