PDA

View Full Version : How do you Laser Engrave Pens

Greg Cuetara
03-05-2008, 8:38 PM
I have a friend with a laser and he has graciously said I can use the laser to engave some of my pens. Is there a how-to out there on how to hold the pen...when to engrave..before or after you assemble etc.? I would think it would be better to engrave and then assemble but what do I know. Can I put the finish on first, I have been using a CA/BLO, and then engrave? After I engrave do I just leave it natural or should I rub something over the engraving to fill it in and give it a contrasting color? Do you need any special software? I was hoping to just do some very simple graphics but mostly text. I have had him do some graphics and text for me before on flat work but not sure what the differences will be on the small round tubes of pens. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg

John Terefenko
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Greg

Not sure if you are a member of this site but they have some very good engravers over there. Check it out and ask your question there.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/default.asp

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't have an engraver, but have sent out a fair number of pens to be laser engraved. The engraver wants the pens assembled and with finish applied and cured. Simple lines of text are easy. For graphics, they usually require a rotary attachment to keep the focus from changing as the graphic wraps around the diameter of the pen. Color fill will depend on the material being engraved and the look you are after. If you color fill, make sure your finish is totally cured as you wipe the excess off with alcohol, which can damage the finish if not totally cured. Also, some woods, usually light colored and open grained woods can't be color filled as the color will bleed into the wood, making for a fuzzy appearing engraving.

HTH
James

Greg Cuetara
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info James on how to engrave the pens. John I will trot over to the pen turners website to see if I can dig up any more information.
Thanks,
Greg